2nd 1/48 RAAF Dassault/GAF Mirage IIIO-Finished 2/4/09

I thought you'd mentioned it before that you were building an Argentinian A4 Skyhawk or something. AMI are doing a Macchi 326 build and I thought you might be interested in doing an Argi one, but given that you are Portugese and didn't operate Macchis it doesn't really matter unless you do want to participate?

Regards

Andrew

Nah, that must have been someone else... I did mention doing an Aussie Skyhawk. I'll have to pass, too much stuff in the stash as it is! B) I'll keep an eye out, see if any future builds get me interested. Thanks for that anyway. :D

Cheers,

Ricardo

:D Hi Andrew,

I remember working on A3-20 when she was at 2 OCU in the late seventies-early eighties. For some reason she just sticks in my mind. Perhaps she was the first Mirage I ever took a screwdriver to. I also remember working on her when I was attached to 481 SQN in 1979 for 7 months. It's good to have these memories brought up again in model form. I don't however remember working on -51. If she ever went through OCU it was before or after my time there. Thanks for the reminders and have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, you and your family.

:(,

Ross.

Cheers Ross and a merry Christmas to you and your family. The unfortunate thing about low vis decals for Australian Mirages is that every squadron besides 77 and 79 have been done. Ray Seppala if you know him is hunting the same low vis decals and we are having difficulties in obtaining them from any of the manufacturers. We keep getting told that the grey shielding is too hard to get right. I have the ability to stencil it which may be the way to go. The other problem I have is finding a decent picture of A3-20 in the low vis grey.

Regards

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

Small update but no pics as the wife has gone away with camera in hand. Chris has joined the wings to the fuselage, added the intakes, finalised his rescribing, puttied up and sanded his mistakes and gaps and has started some preliminary painting of the U/C and Matra 550. Hopefully by this time next week it'll be painted and decalled. When the camera returns I'll post some pics.

Regards

Andrew and Chris

School holidays are a great time to get kids motivated to building models because they get bored of the usual things. After languishing on Chris' bedside drawers he has finally got motivated to building his stash of kits. Whilst painting his Mirage and waiting for things to dry he has started a 1/72 Academy A-10 Thunderbolt II. At this stage his Mirage is ready for decals and he wants to do a panel line wash since he rescribed many of the raised panel lines on this kit. Except for a few small slip ups his Mirage looks relatively good. Here's the pics of proof. Now we are waiting for the custom 77 squadron tail decals he requires so it can be finished. Oh, he also thinking of changing the number to A3-33 or 70 or 90.

Regards

Andrew and Chris

DSC02478.jpg

DSC02479.jpg

DSC02480.jpg

DSC02481.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a little more that Chris has done. Whilst we are waiting on his tail decals and numbers, Chris has put the others on so it looks more like a Mirage should. He has with a little assistance from myself also fitted his Matra missiles to the centreline and wings. We hope you like what he has done.

DSC02516.jpg

DSC02517.jpg

DSC02518.jpg

DSC02519.jpg

Regards

Chris and Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

Well the GB is over and it's unfortunate that Chris' decals didn't arrive in time so he could finish this off. But saying that, you can see (similar to mine) what it should look like. When the decals arrive we'll put pics up anyway.

Regards

Andrew and Chris :)

• 1 month later...

Well, Chris has finally finished it after receiving the tail flashes a day or two ago. So without further ado here is Chris' 1/48 Italeri Mirage IIIE converted to IIIO specs in low-vis RAAF 77 Squadron Markings. The yellow aggressor marking remnants was done by dabbing a cotton bud with his yellow school pastel.

Regards

Andrew :D

DSC02810.jpg

DSC02811.jpg

DSC02812.jpg

DSC02813.jpg

DSC02814.jpg

DSC02815.jpg

DSC02816.jpg

DSC02817.jpg

:), g'day Andrew, Chris has done a fantastic job on his Miracle. Even down to the faded yellow exercise markings. These were supposedly a water washable distemper but it never seemd to wash off, it was pretty well only removable by stripping the paint off. It did however wear fairly quickly and Chris has used his crayon to represent it very masterfully for a lad his age. Bravo young Chris! He's obviously a chip off the old block Andrew, you're teaching him well.

:cheers:,

Ross.

Edited by ross blackford
That looks great! Really well done, I am impressed. I wish that I had that kind of talent at his age. keep it up.
:), g'day Andrew, Chris has done a fantastic job on his Miracle. Even down to the faded yellow exercise markings. These were supposedly a water washable distemper but it never seemd to wash off, it was pretty well only removable by stripping the paint off. It did however wear fairly quickly and Chris has used his crayon to represent it very masterfully for a lad his age. Bravo young Chris! He's obviously a chip off the old block Andrew, you're teaching him well.

:cheers:,

Ross.

Thanks guys,

We both appreciate your comments. I will continue to encourage Chris in this art as he really enjoys it.

Regards

Andrew

Thanks for this post Andrew.

I felt like dumping my ESCI Mirage III E when I looked at the contents of the kit.

After seeing the mods you made, I realize there's hope, I will build my Mirage III EZ out of this kit.

Congrats to your son. Looks as if he has better skills than me.

Once again, thanks for your tips.