Anyone getting a Sanka Mark B?

No, it's not coffee, but an airplane from the anime Sky Crawlers.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10075181

Looks like the design is heavily influenced by the J7W1 Shinden.

http://www.daveswarbirds.com/Nippon/aircraft/Shinden.htm

Bandai also does a 1/72 version, which strangely is nearly the same price as the 1/48 Fine Molds kit, although it looks like you get two kits in the Bandai boxing.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10075551

Bandai also does a 1/72 kit of another plane, which looks kinds of like a jacked-up F2G Corsair with a Fw190D nose.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10075552

I've got to give a hand to Fine Molds, they cover some interesting subjects that practically NOBODY else touches and do them well. Of course we know them for their Star Wars kits, but I was rather impressed with their Porco Rosso models and this one looks to almost be right up the same alley.

I'll probably get one if Starship Modeler carries them, although there is also the option of purchasing one from HLJ.com as well.

hey i caught that movie in tokyo last month!!!

be careful though, its actually a really loooong love story with a twist at the end. and the flying sequences are fantastic, even though there isnt enuf of it... i mean it, the flying sequences can all be edited into a 5 minute short clip. if any one of you have caught mamoru oshii's recent films like patlabor 3 or jin-roh/wolf brigade, you'll know what i mean....

"Bandai also does a 1/72 kit of another plane, which looks kinds of like a jacked-up F2G Corsair with a Fw190D nose."

that plane is also featured in the movie, it belongs to the adversary air force... he/she is portrayed like a boogieman in the movie, you dont really see him/her except when he's shooting down some one.

Went ahead and ordered three kits at HLJ. :wacko: The 1/48 Fine Molds "Sanka" kit and the two 1/72 kits. The 1/72 Sanka includes two kits. So I think there'll be a WhIf-build of a WhIf-plane... :whistle:

I really like the design of the bad guy's plane. It just screams "Heavy Fighter". :thumbsup: The canopy makes it looking like a Mustang on some bad-*** steroids.

Hope the film will make it to the screens here, too, although I have my doubts. Probably not enough "mass market appeal". :pray:

Let us know when you receive the kits, give us a review if you can...!

the 1/48 kit looks good esp with the working contra rotating props. even though i dont build much 1/48, i may have to give in to this one.

the twin 1/72 kit is good value though!

I also wonder if they'll release the twin tailed fighter that also appears in the movie, it looks really cool, like a Luft 46 bird along the lines of an Arado.

OT: its a pity the game is available only on the Wii platform, would be nice if it came out on PS3.

:thumbsup:

Edited by olemanjoe
Let us know when you receive the kits, give us a review if you can...!

<...>

Will do! :P

Got a notice by HLj that the 1/72 kits were shipped yesterday. :rofl: The 1/48 kit is coming later, as I couldn't find it at the time and had to order it later. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Mine's all ready to airbrush. what a freakin gorgeous kit to build, I'd rank it up there with the tamiya me262 in terms of fit. Extra surprising given that the fuselage has sides 2 pieces on the top, two forward fuse halves, a nosecone, and the rear fuse piece. they all fit *perfectly.*

Pics once it's done!

Those look cool ...

I'm looking forward to this movie ...

Here's a link ...

>>> The Sky Crawlers <<<

At the bottom of tha above linked page is a link to the Japanese website which has trailers (only in Japanese)...

Gregg

AAAHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHA! Ihavetoseethisfreakinawesomemovieitissoawesome! Pleeeeezzzzzeeewheretheheckcanifindthisanimeanywherewillthedvdcomeoutwithenglish

subsimaytakeclosedcaptioningbutmaybewe'llseesomekindoffansuborsomethingohhhhicannotwaituntilthisthingcomesoutwheeee

eeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;) :banana: :P :nanner::woot.gif:

uhh, the trailers ARE the best bits of the film... trust me. if you are expecting gobfuls of dogfights in the movie, YOU WILL BE DISAPPOINTED.

i caught this movie while i was in tokyo in august...

surprising, the audience wasnt what i expected.... more middle class 'normal' people, half were women. i felt like i was the youngest guy there...

Oh I know, the love story is half the appeal of the movie to me. :D

LOL, yeah i enjoyed the movie too, i was in tokyo for two weeks, felt quite alienated as i didnt hv much conversations with anyone (not being able to speak japanese didnt help!), yes did enjoy the romance in the story... it has a surprising kinda twist at the end, classic mamoru oshii...

surprising also was the nudity (albeit minor), first i have ever seen in a 'mainstream' anime movie. when i say nudity i mean human nudity, not android etc etc.

• 2 months later...

Working on the fine molds kit myself right now. All i can say is hasegawa better get off its duffer and fix themselves. There are no fit problems in this kit at all. Panel tolerance is so tight that the parts that are made seperate along natural lines disappear when attached. absolutely no need for filler. Even the little differential for the counter rotating props is a neat little trick. My only issue with the kit is that fine molds gives you a detailed instrument panel and a flat one for a decal. I took a risk and applied the decal to the detailed panel. Some micro sol apps later and the thing looks like its pre painted from Eduard. I have built a few fine molds kits and each one gets better than the last. This one tops them all.

Working on the fine molds kit myself right now. All i can say is hasegawa better get off its duffer and fix themselves. There are no fit problems in this kit at all. Panel tolerance is so tight that the parts that are made seperate along natural lines disappear when attached. absolutely no need for filler. Even the little differential for the counter rotating props is a neat little trick. My only issue with the kit is that fine molds gives you a detailed instrument panel and a flat one for a decal. I took a risk and applied the decal to the detailed panel. Some micro sol apps later and the thing looks like its pre painted from Eduard. I have built a few fine molds kits and each one gets better than the last. This one tops them all.

I still have to acquire one of these. Although I am torn between getting the 1/72 Bandai one and the 1/48 kit as I got the Bandai Skyly J-2 (i.e. the pumped up Corsair/Dora hybrid on steroids) at a local model club gift exchange last weekend. But my plans for that plane are to not necessarily paint it up in Sky Crawlers colors since it looks rather plain to me. Rather I think I will do my own paintscheme for it. So bumping up to 1/48 might not be a bad idea anyway. Now if FineMolds does a 1/48 J-2, I will be all over that since this plane looks like a real brute compared to the sleek lines Sanka.

As for FineMolds themselves, the kit designers are Hasegawa alums that formed their own company about a decade ago and as I understand it, they use Hasegawa's molding machines to press their parts. So the resemblence is clear. Indeed though, it does seem the best kit design talent went to FineMolds, although Hasegawa's later offerings fit together almost as well as these do. Its the earlier stuff Hasegawa keeps recycling that gives them a bad rep sometimes.

Edited by Jay Chladek
  • 3 months later...

anyone have photo updates to their builds? I just watched Sky Crawlers again, and just can help but say what an amazing animated movie it is. Just the 30 seconds of that opening sequence leaves me flabbergasted. And the sound of the engines and the guns and the screams of the dying pilot....

I want that twin-engine long-range fighter with the froward-swept wings. :thumbsup: Makes the Sanka look obsolete.

yeah! thats an awesome looking design!

did u catch the movie? wasnt the Teacher a vicious SOB....??