HMS Scimitar, Fast Patrol Frigate, 2120

This is a little kitbash I've been working on for a month or so. It's roughly 1/600 scale.

HMS Scimitar is a Royal Navy Fast Patrol Frigate serving in the Combined Commonwealth Fleet c.2120. Its primary mission involves anti-piracy patrols in the shipping lanes between the the Asteroid Belt mining stations, Mars, and Earth, as well as patrolling the outer science stations and pioneer colonies. Scimitar is a Broadsword-class ship with a first generation gravity drive, which generates a gravitational field which the ship constantly 'falls' into. This early version of the gravity 'warp drive' can produce a gravity field slightly less than 1.0g. Even with the limitations of the early warp field generators, this allows the ship to accelerate to approximately .5c before the field decays. An early Higgs Field manipulator system allows the ship to maintain constant mass as the speed increases, negating undesirable time-dilation effects.

Weapons systems include two heavy laser cannon mounted along the longditudinal axis, and capable of 360 degree rotation when deployed, four general-purpose laser turrets with two guns each, four 90mm railguns in a turret beneath the forward hull, two aft-firing torpedo & smart-mine tubes, and 6 laser CIWS turrets.

This class can also accomodate a Shrike heavy shuttle and three BAES Wyvern F.3 light fighters. This build shows a Wyvern in position on the launch rail aft of the hangar bay.

Scimitar11.jpg

Scimitar12.jpg

Scimitar13.jpg

Scimitar14.jpg

Scimitar15.jpg

ScimitarLabels.jpg

HMS Scimitar F728

Type: Broadsword Class Fast Patrol Frigate

Builder: BVT Space Systems

Length: 195m

Mass: 19,000 tons

Launch Date: March 29, 2117

Crew: 22 permanent crew (7 Officers, 15 Ratings)

10 Fleet Air Arm Personnel

12 Royal Marines (Embarked Military Force)

Propulsion:

2 x Rolls Royce IA.501 Nuclear-Ion Drives

2 x Rolls Royce /BMW BR2003-4 Orbital Plasma Thrusters

4 x P&W Space Chemical Maneuvering Thrusters

1 x United Technologies G3B-1 1.0g Gravity Warp Drive

1 x United Technologies Spiral Accelerator/Collider for onboard anti-matter & dark matter production

1 x General Physics Artificial Gravity/Inertial Manipulation system

Power Generation:

4 x GE Casimir Batteries

1 x Rolls Royce MCF.101 Fusion Reactor (ejectable)

Shielding:

2 x Lockheed Electric 404 Electromagnetic Shield Generators

Armament:

2 x Teledyne 1099 Heavy Laser Cannons, 360 degree lateral transverse mounting

4 x BAES Mk199 General Purpose Laser Turrets

4 x GE M203 90mm Railguns in Quad Turret

2 x Torpedo/Smart Mine Tubes (normal loading of 36 Torpedoes with Fusion, EMP, or Anti-Matter warheads, + 88 BAES Mk11 Smart Mines)

7 x GE M455 Laser CIWS Turrets

Air Group:

1 x Airbus Military A1200 ‘Shrike’ Heavy Assault Shuttle

3 x BAES Wyvern F.3 Light Fighters

Egress Systems:

Jettisonable Command Bridge

2 x Martin-Baker Mk40 Escape Pods (max capacity 14)

1 x Martin-Baker Mk33 Jettisonable Emergency Airlock (max capacity 18)

4 x Martin-Baker Mk99 Escape Pods (max capacity 4)

Endurance:

Propulsion and Power Systems Unlimited

Normal Crew Expendables for 180 days

Onboard Facilities:

Single-Berth Officer Accommodations for 14 Officers, with private bathroom facilities

Single-Berth Accommodation for 34 Enlisted Personnel with 2/1 shares bathroom facilities

Emergency Accommodations for up to 100

Full Gymnasium Facilities

Virtual Reality Training Suite for Embarked Military Force

28-seat Mess Hall with full entertainment suite

8-bed Hospital with full Trauma suite

Automated Hangar and Armament Tending Systems

Fully Automated Propulsion Module

Edited by AeroplaneDriver
That's awesome! Do you have any in-progress shots to show us? Also, I really liked the backstory/specs. Great Whif! :taunt:

Here are some in-progress pics. The whole build is on the whatifmodelers.com forum, but here are a few. The whole idea started with just the F-14 fuselage last year, I could never come up with a forward hull that looked right so it was put back into the 'to-do' pile. I pulled the P-61 out with the intention of making it into a heavy starfighter with the same basic shape and scale as the Monogram kit, but 'the voices' tempted me to see how the P-61 fuselage went with the Tomcat to make a much smaller scale, larger ship.

As someone spotted the forward hull is the P-61 fuselage upside down and backwards. The Ion engines are the P-61 nacelled with some SR-71 and F-15 engine parts thrown in. Also thrown in are some Hunter, A-10, USS New Jersey parts along with other assorted greeblies and some battleship PE.

The Wyvern fighter is an ancient 1/700 F-4 that has floated around the spares box since I was a kid. It was also turned upside down and backwards, with a blob of CA forming the cockpit.

This is the original idea along with the original Shrike shuttle:

Corvette3.jpg

Then last month that old idea merged with the P-61 idea. At this point I was planning on it being 1/350, so the A-7 is for scale. It eventually grew into about 1/600:

IMG_1362.jpg

Lots of Squadron Green on all the open doors and hatches on the P-61 parts:

IMG_1363.jpg

Coming together with the first try at the engines:

IMG_1365.jpg

First try with the 'accelerator/collider tunnel'. It is the engine tailpipe from an ancient Lindberg Hunter:

IMG_1369.jpg

For a while I was thinking about a vertical 'sail' on top of the hull. An early version of the 'gravity manipulators' appears on the front too:

IMG_1378.jpg

The final form starts to come together with the large 'dark energy radiators' to balance the smaller rear section with the larger front. Some styrene strip and sheet is being added at this stage for surface detail too:

IMG_1385.jpg

Primer coat on with the radiators rotated to the deployed position for warp-bubble initiation:

IMG_1396.jpg

Shot of the underside at this stage, showing the Shrike shuttle still planned and a differnet forward sensor array:

IMG_1394-1.jpg

The Wyvern fighter that replaced the Shrike shuttle on the docking rail. The left wing carries a 6-barrell railgun and the right has a laser cannon:

Wyvern.jpg

A last in-progress shot showing the deployed heavy laser cannon and the new much larger 'gravity manipulators':

Scimitar.jpg

Thanks for the comments guys!!

• 2 weeks later...