A-7E Corsair II

7 hours ago, Bill Staudt said:

Looks GREAT!! I built the D version of this kit last winter, and can sympathize with trying to close up the speed brake and avionics doors. You handled it very well.

Thanx Bill :D

Bit of putty into well chosen spots and problem solved:D

A little update today :D

Some filling has ben done  :P

IMG_3346_zpsx8p9unyk.jpg

And I´m starting to think about what to put under the wings...and I´m starting to think that more is better :P
Here´s a dozen verlinden snake eyes...and a couple of MERs

IMG_3347_zpscd4dejoj.jpg

More is better so here´s another dozen Snake eyes from Verlinden!

IMG_3348_zps2izvutmq.jpg

Pondered a bit more while sanding...

IMG_3349_zpsbc8faraw.jpg

Added a ECM box and a target camera and a fuel dump while I was at it...

IMG_3350_zpsro2o1ioo.jpg

Then I decided to add a couple of gas bags as well.

IMG_3351_zps1yp6ir0c.jpg

Wondering if to add winders too...just for the symetry of it :P

Cheers!

Are you planning on a regular A-7E from VA-72 or the tan painted version which was painted after Desert Storm so it didn't see any action in that scheme. Here is one on a mission:

A-7E_Corsair_VA-72_Desert_Storm_NAN5-91.

TERs were used during missions, the only time the MERs were installed was during Desert Shield before the war started and they just carried practice bombs. Note most a/c had 2 pylons removed to save weight, some had all 6 pylons left on.  As for the bombs in the pics you posted the grey ones are with the AIR tail which were mainly used by the Air Force while the Navy stayed with the standard Snakeye tail, the cream coloured bombs in the pic.

edit: on a few missions only 1 fuel tank was carried as the A-7 had the range and tankers were available so most times no external fuel tanks were required.

Jari

Edited by Finn
41 minutes ago, Finn said:

Are you planning on a regular A-7E from VA-72 or the tan painted version which was painted after Desert Storm so it didn't see any action in that scheme. Here is one on a mission:

A-7E_Corsair_VA-72_Desert_Storm_NAN5-91.

TERs were used during missions, the only time the MERs were installed was during Desert Shield before the war started and they just carried practice bombs. Note most a/c had 2 pylons removed to save weight, some had all 6 pylons left on.  As for the bombs in the pics you posted the grey ones are with the AIR tail which were mainly used by the Air Force while the Navy stayed with the standard Snakeye tail, the cream coloured bombs in the pic.

edit: on a few missions only 1 fuel tank was carried as the A-7 had the range and tankers were available so most times no external fuel tanks were required.

Jari

Thanx for the input :D

Yeah, I know the loadout I'm planning is very unrealistic so I'm just taking some artistic license here.

The decals I had planned from the start are out...just going to do a TPS scheme, got new decals in the mail...it's going to be a heavy loadout and nothing necessarily used in desert storm but it will look good :D

Got a little shipment from Hannant´s today :D

Necessary things like resin wheels and canopy seals :P

IMG_3352_zpsvk6f4vlz.jpg

And decals and masks :D

IMG_3354_zps7urc72sc.jpg

Might as well put the masks to use before I drop to bed :D

IMG_3355_zpsk5so4dnt.jpg

IMG_3356_zps9ysmplal.jpg

A mini update :D

Cheers!

Well why not start the first week of work after the vacation with some sick leave, woke up this morning and my knees were twice their normal size :/
Might as well spend the day in the hobby room :P

Masked the gaping mouth....

IMG_3358_zpsnbyl5lnn.jpg

Everything ready for primer.

IMG_3359_zpsh6iealek.jpg

FAntastic details on the resin wheels btw!

IMG_3360_zps7agcrrr1.jpg

Started with Alclad Black Primer on the canopy frames, wheels and insides of the doors.

IMG_3361_zpss2e2kv43.jpg

And then Alclad grey primer!

IMG_3363_zpswkkus4um.jpg

IMG_3364_zpsoziyrwj4.jpg

IMG_3365_zps7zcrrm5k.jpg

Found some small flaws I have to deal with but then it´s time for preshade :D

Cheers!

1 hour ago, crackerjazz said:

Sweet updates!  Very inspiring -- I'm taking notes!   Hey, what happened to your knees?  Are you ok?

Thanx crackerjazz :D

Arthritis and overuse due to me being too fat :P

was a wee bit too optimistic when I got new pain meds and overused my knees, so they were twice their sizes when I awoke this morning and a bit weather sensitive too :/

Wow,  that swelling sounds nasty.  Sorry to hear that. I  feel your pain 'cause I've got the painful osteo kind on a couple left and right hand fingers -- our primary modeling tools. I hope you feel better soon. But it's good it's not stopping you from providing us with awesome updates!

Today the weathering starts :P

First off I had to fix the small blemishes detected during priming.

Bit of putty behind the pit, under the nose and the rear and then sanding smooth.

IMG_3366_zpsdomw08ot.jpg

IMG_3367_zpsboaq4bz3.jpg

IMG_3368_zpsry22grfl.jpg

Then a new coat of primer and then I did my first round of preshading. I use Tamyia XF-63 German Grey for the preshade, I used to preshade in black but I think a dark grey is better, takes down the contrast a notch.
The first round is only around the panel lines but just highlighting the panellines isn´t enough, it can come off as a checker board if over done and doesn´t give the following paint all the depth it could get.

IMG_3369_zpsgksrd993.jpg

Hence my second round of preshade, where I paint squiggles inside all the panels. It gives the paint life and depth and I will further enhance it with post shadeing and washes, filters and pigments. The wethering process isn´t 
really done until the finsihing flat coat at the end of the build :D

IMG_3370_zpspuzfwp5y.jpg

IMG_3371_zpsh0q5ouku.jpg

All for today!

Cheers!

4 hours ago, Spad said:

I've been missing for a while here but I'm glad to see that quality is always high.
Good work, I will use you as a guide for a similar subject!:thumbsup:

Thanx Vincenzo :D

You're welcome to anything you find useful :D

I'm seriously ambivalent about the load out.....historically correct or just putting on what I want? A full load on every pylon would looks wicked but would lack any correlation to reality and historical correctness

Any thoughts on how I should proceed?

6 minutes ago, Aigore said:

I'm seriously ambivalent about the load out.....historically correct or just putting on what I want? A full load on every pylon would looks wicked but would lack any correlation to reality and historical correctness

Maybe you find some inspiration here (even if you are not doing a Desert Storm A-7):

http://www.dstorm.eu/pages/en/usa/a-7.html

160557_1.jpg

158026_2.jpg

Bombs and paint!

Well I decided that I wated at least two MERs worth of snakes so I´m leaning to an own composed loadout :P

Wanted to use the Verlinden snakes for this build and they come in two parts, the bomb and the aero brake both attached to casting blocks. 
The trick is to get the cuts at least reasonably straight!

IMG_3372_zpsyhiywu10.jpg

Then I marked the centers of the bombs and brakes with an awl.

IMG_3373_zpsietnaodh.jpg

I drilled out the center of the brakes and glued in a piece of pianowire as a guide to make the attachements somewhat straight.

IMG_3375_zps1oo8ftk4.jpg

Then I drilled a coresponding hole in the center of the bombs...

IMG_3376_zpsu1kiy7mt.jpg

Added a genreous drop of cyano and stuck the bombs to the brakes, I tried to make them as straight as possible and the cyano helped fill the little gap that could show.

IMG_3377_zpsh0gbqzjs.jpg

Repeat x 12 :P

IMG_3385_zpsq4hmgzry.jpg

Now for some painting!

I begun with the underside and FS36375 Light ghost grey, I first shot in the centre of the panels and around the preshade squiggles.

IMG_3378_zpssqz2gutg.jpg

Then I laid down thin, dry and uneven coats of the light ghost grey...

IMG_3379_zps3f3qc9vl.jpg

The entire underside done, the preshade shows through nicely.

IMG_3380_zpseajukv5h.jpg

Then the upper side, same thing but with FS36320 Dark ghost grey, filled the center of panels and around the preshade squiggles.

IMG_3381_zpslzmjnwcv.jpg

And thin uneven coats of dark ghost grey.

IMG_3382_zpszsxtb1cq.jpg

I´m going to do a v ery faded and weathered aircraft so the color borders barely show between the two colors.

IMG_3384_zpsb2rgwzqr.jpg

Now I hav e a base for the paintjob and weathering, next I´ll use a light grey to post shade and to paint the bettering painting around panels.

Cheers!

21 hours ago, Aigore said:

My advice would be to do what you did on the bombs. Add wires to the support equipment ( MERS ) and also to any missiles so you can change them out from time to time to refresh the look of the build.

Nice job on the paintwork so far, she's looking good.

Steve

5 minutes ago, A-10 LOADER said:

My advice would be to do what you did on the bombs. Add wires to the support equipment ( MERS ) and also to any missiles so you can change them out from time to time to refresh the look of the build.

Nice job on the paintwork so far, she's looking good.

Steve

Thanx Steve :D

Now that was a great idea actually