A-7E Corsair II

I wish I had your painting skills, Aigore.  You want to do something and, bam, it's done!  And so beautifully, too.  As for me painting and weathering is nerve-wracking and causes so much anguish -- and that's just deciding on what colors to choose.

19 minutes ago, crackerjazz said:

I wish I had your painting skills, Aigore.  You want to do something and, bam, it's done!  And so beautifully, too.  As for me painting and weathering is nerve-wracking and causes so much anguish -- and that's just deciding on what colors to choose.

I have painted a lot and I'm really on first name basis with my Iwata airbrush, I have laborated with many different techniques and adapted them for my purposes. I'm not afraid of trying new things and I try to continuously evolve as a modeller.

I know I have a good sense of colors and how to match colors to get the results I want,  that might be an edge I have that is hard to learn but I have for free through my genes. I've always been artistic and loved painting, drawing, sketching and sculpting.

But there is really no easy way around it really, to be better at something you have to do it alot and try and try and fail and try again. It's hard to overcome obstacles placed by ones own mind and the only way forward is really to just play around with techniques and try to remove the drama and preconceptions from the equation. 

I'm happy to help in any way I can...I don't keep secrets and I gladly share anything I've learnt :P I always try to show everything I do and every step on the way in a build :D

On 7.8.2017 at 10:09 PM, Aigore said:
On 7.8.2017 at 9:21 PM, Finn said:

<...>the tan painted version <...>

<....>just going to do a TPS scheme <...>

:jaw-dropping:    Dude! You could've painted a desert scheme! And you go for a grey scheme? Are you sure you didn't hurt more than just your knee? :tease:

That said, you absolutely nailed the worn look! :thumbsup: Hope your knees are better, too.

12 hours ago, ChernayaAkula said:

:jaw-dropping:    Dude! You could've painted a desert scheme! And you go for a grey scheme? Are you sure you didn't hurt more than just your knee? :tease:

That said, you absolutely nailed the worn look! :thumbsup: Hope your knees are better, too.

Thanks Moritz :D

They are getting better, busy shedding weight and taking strain off the knees. Kind of helps a bit...along with very interesting pills :P

17 hours ago, wardog said:

Aigore,

Great tutorial on your weathering process! I saved this build as a bookmark so I can reference it when I get to that point on my current build. Also, contrary to what I've heard other people suggest, you used a dark brown wash as opposed to a bluish black for a TPS scheme. I'm thinking the brown works really well as the end result look outstanding!

Regarding the pigments that you're using, are they just a re-branded version of pastel chalks, or something different? I've noticed manufacturers that cater to this hobby will take a common item and re-brand it, then charge twice the amount of money, or more for it. Case in point, I bought Loctite super glue at Walmart for 3 US dollars; at a local hobby shop a bottle of super glue was 8 dollars.

Anyway, great job on this build!

Elmo

Thanks Elon, l almost missed your comment, sorry but here's a belated response :P

I wanted a warm tone in the weathering that's why I went with the tan and earth coloured washes. Using blues and greys would not be wrong but it is already blueish grey and the contrast from the earth colours give it life in a cold lighting environment...like a show case.

The pigments are from MiG and they're pretty much scraped from chalks and put in cans :)

I use Loctite as well :P it's good enough and does what it's supposed to :)

Nice effect Aigore, Well done

Looks pretty good compared to the real picture of the grey navy corsairs.

These sluf can be dirty

I can appreciate your effort as i'm in the middle of doing the same with a 1/32 one :)

Edited by Red Dog
3 hours ago, Red Dog said:

Nice effect Aigore, Well done

Looks pretty good compared to the real picture of the grey navy corsairs.

These sluf can be dirty

I can appreciate your effort as i'm in the middle of doing the same with a 1/32 one :)

Thanx Red Dog :D

It´s fun dirtying them up isn´t it :D

THe weekends work :D

Painted the wheel hubs and weathered with a grey wash.

IMG_3417_zpsfjsbgfin.jpg

I always brush paint my tires, much faster than masking and shooting and it looks as perfect...I use acrylics and a lot of water and let the paint seap around the hub.

IMG_3418_zpsk3ylldzs.jpg

It takes mere seconds and the result is always perfect!

IMG_3419_zps09j1pe4r.jpg

IMG_3420_zps1z3mvhgo.jpg

After the wheels I begun with the struts...primed them in black.

IMG_3421_zps6mqme51g.jpg

Then white on top..

IMG_3422_zpsn5vfe1io.jpg

The loadout...

IMG_3424_zps1xe8futh.jpg

I primed in white and grey...

IMG_3425_zpslwvta4yc.jpg

THen I painted the tip of the snakes in pink..

IMG_3426_zps08wqutgh.jpg

Then chrome yellow on top of that...

IMG_3427_zpsnrnhypxx.jpg

Next I weathered the drop tanks.

IMG_3428_zpsaasi63sz.jpg

The weekends work in a pic :D

IMG_3429_zpsksqtkcat.jpg

Cheers!

Very cool techniques, Aigore, and very nice updates!   I often have trouble with white paint pooling into crevices instead of giving proper coverage, do you find this an issue as well and how do you get around it?   And do you use any enamels at all on your builds?

1 hour ago, crackerjazz said:

Very cool techniques, Aigore, and very nice updates!   I often have trouble with white paint pooling into crevices instead of giving proper coverage, do you find this an issue as well and how do you get around it?   And do you use any enamels at all on your builds?

Thanx crackerjazz :D

The primer helps with that, and I shoot alclad white primer on top of the black primer after that I shoot light coats of gloss white on top.

Besides the alclad laquer primers and metal paints I use only acrylic paint, I went all in with life color right before my first daughter was born.

I put away all my enamels in a box :)

Bit of bombs...

MAsked the yellow on the tip on the snakes.

IMG_3430_zpssg49ilad.jpg

And now for something entirely different.

We found  lots of old wooden bases at work...and I got me a bag full of them looking like this...

IMG_3431_zpsb8qomswk.jpg

Well, they looked a bit plain so I thought I´d better them up a bit.
I chose one and sanded it smooth

IMG_3432_zpsbnfpo1yd.jpg

Then some teak oil was brushed on.

IMG_3433_zpsmyrelfvz.jpg

And now it´s starting to look nicer.

IMG_3434_zpspjfefzjj.jpg

On top of it I´m going to put a card board carrier deck...

IMG_3435_zpso1eidqzu.jpg

I cut up the cardboard to fit...I´m going to let the base dry for a while before I glue on the cardboard and flat coat it.

IMG_3436_zpsoph8tasx.jpg

Meanwhile I shot some yellow on the rockeyes...

IMG_3437_zps7o0aww8m.jpg

Put a wash on the laucnhers and the snakes...

IMG_3438_zpsrofluc4s.jpg

Finally I dusted them with tan pigments and put on a flat varnish....looks nice enough, never weathered snakes this much before :P

IMG_3439_zpseenjp8qu.jpg

That´s it for today :D

Cheers!

2 hours ago, agelos2005 said:

Excellent work

hoe is the aires cockpit fit?

Thanx Perikles :D

It was decent I'd say, I didn't have to take anything off the sides just taking the intake trunk into consideration.

And today´s update :D

Finished painting the Rocks and struts and put on a gloss varnish.

IMG_3440_zpssq6hzs4i.jpg

Put down a flat varnish on top of the carrier deck cardboard...looks surprisingly good.

IMG_3441_zpsjy5mdeof.jpg

A bit of a grey wash on the rocks and the struts...

IMG_3443_zpsimzhy6gg.jpg

Finished the MERs and TERs

IMG_3444_zpslfiib9om.jpg

And the wheels are on and the SLUFF stands on its own legs!

IMG_3446_zpsoyjybdmk.jpg

Looks right at home on the carrier deck base :D

IMG_3447_zpsl8vntnie.jpg

Cheers!

5 hours ago, Mr.Happy said:

Wow it's so cool to see this build come together.

Great job Aigore‼️👍

Cheers,

Mr.Happy(In name only)

Thanx Mr.Happy :D

2 hours ago, kike said:

Really nice job! great paint job!

Thanx so much, kike :D

Last update!

Doing the last touch-ups and details before assembly.

Decals inside the landing gear bay doors.
IMG_3448_zpsnkrp9b4s.jpg

Drilled small holes and added drops of Tamyia clear paints for the lights.

IMG_3450_zpsolr2eyxb.jpg

Added the steps and ladder...

IMG_3451_zpsowi2shva.jpg

All the doors in place...

IMG_3452_zpsczemnvsq.jpg

CAnopy and all the small anetnnas and probes are added...

IMG_3453_zpsmu333hmp.jpg

Ok, the loadout! 2 winders, 2 gasbags, 12 snakes and 6 rocks...heavy metal!

IMG_3456_zpscxuojruw.jpg

Started deressing her up with winders...

IMG_3457_zpsn77slodw.jpg

Then the gas bags...

IMG_3458_zps5odj3z7e.jpg

All those sexy snakes...

IMG_3459_zpsewoi422j.jpg

And lastly the rocks!

IMG_3460_zpserqlxnql.jpg

And we´re home!! it´s finished!! my 11th build this year :D

IMG_3461_zpspdbvmbya.jpg

IMG_3462_zpswudkmjgz.jpg

Next week end it´s our big model show in Gothenburg, I have a whole week of tinkering :P We´ll see if I do the fancy pictures this weekend or if I do it afte the show next week.

Thanx for following and commenting on this build :D

Cheers! 

9 minutes ago, crackerjazz said:

Beautiful!!  I'm like a kid in an ice-cream shop.   Hey, that was truly inspiring --  makes me wanna build a Corsair!   But at the same time it makes me feel inadequate : (    Your building/painting speed is unmatchable!

Thanx crackerjazz :D

Happy to inspire :D I'm a project oriented builder and I have a hobby room where I can leave my stuff and pick up right where I left off. So I try to do something every day no matter how small, little progress is still progress. I never force myself to finish a build,  if I loose interest I pack it away on my shelf to mature for a while (I started this build almost 10 years ago but I lost interest).

I organise my builds and have a order I follow to do things and all this combined makes me a quick builder :D

My skills with an airbrush comes from painting lots and often :D