Monogram F-106 for a former Dart Driver

Aloha gents!

Just back from being overseas for a bit and was planning on catching up with things around the office & here at home but things didn’t quite work out that way! :D

Found out my former CO was finally retiring & leaving the Islands, he’s always been a big fan of anything aviation related and was one of the few folks who would venture to a hobby shop with me during our numerous TDY’s. Additionally, he’s always said “If you ever build an F-106, I gotcha ya covered!!!†The F-106 was his favorite ride (this from someone who’s flown every Century Series fighter) and he’s the guy who gave me the gouge on Montana’s unique Darts… Cockpit paint wise. Anyway, he’s always been one of our best CO’s and a good friend so I really wanted to knock out a 106 before he departed.

And here it is… A Monogram 1/48th F-106A in CA ANG markings. He flew for the 194th and actually had something to do with the CA Flag design worn during the period. I was lucky enough to have the decals & kit handy and started on it about a week ago. I didn’t realize what a dog this kit is as far as fit goes so most of the work was taking care of all the seams & fit issues. I actually had it together, painted, and ready for a little gloss before decals within 3 days. And then it happened… I dropped the model :doh: Thankfully I have the garage covered in “Race-deck†tiles so the model pretty much bounced but did sustain some damage. Sadly I didn’t make my initial deadline & missed his retirement party where I had intended on presenting the model. At least it bought me a couple extra days to remove all the raised detail, repaint, and pencil in some panel lines (only for looks really, I didn’t do them accurately). I was also lucky enough to have a good friend help by finishing up the base & weapons while I worked the rest of the kit (again to save time). It was very much a team effort! Some details on the kit… It was built pretty much OOB, the decals come from Fox Ones excellent sheet, and she’s painted with a combination of Testor enamels & Mr. Color lacquers. I tried to keep it as clean as possible as most ANG F-106’s were very well maintained. I took some artistic license with the tail art , it just seemed too white to me, so I painted the tip ADC gray based on a couple of images I tracked down showing a couple of CA ANG birds that may have had the fin tip replace (?). I just wanted to give it a little more character.

Well at least it’s finished, I wish I had more time as I would have corrected a couple of things and really tried to do a better job (my skillz are really lacking lately). Overall I’m pretty happy with it, I sure hope he is as well -_- To personalize it a little more I added a pilot figure… It’s from a Hasegawa F-4 kit with a head coming from an ICM figure set. I drilled out the 22P helmet so it would fit the new head, in the process I removed the 5P mask to hang off the helmet later. I painted the figure up in one of those old orange flight suits & tried to replicate the chrome yellow Protection Inc. helmet he wore. He mentioned having “one of those Blue Angels gold visors†so I used some gold Bare Metal foil to replicate that. The figure was pretty fun part of an otherwise frustrating build. But it’s for a good friend, great CO, & passionate aviator so it’s really the least I could do :cop:

That’s pretty much it, I’m feeling a bit burned out now & tired… Time for some rest! Here’s a quick pic before I hit the sack, sorry about the lighting. I’ll try to snap something a bit better when I give it to him on Tuesday.

Let me know what you think & thanks for looking!!!

Mahalo Ahui Hou,

Mark

PS… Superbug build guys I’ll be back in the saddle again soon, still want to finish that SB!!! :o

IMG_9524.jpg

IMG_9527.jpg

Edited by Buck

Buck would you happen to have a closeup pic of the tiny pilot in the cockpit? I don't think I've ever seen an orange flightsuit before but then again I'm really really new around here. Did you also get that helmet pattern from a helmet he wore at the time?

Excellent model. I've always been fond of the Califonia markings. I'm sure your CO will be very pleased with it.

I started a Monogram F-106 way back in high school but never finished it. I remember its incredible detail (even to today's standards), but my enthusiasm for the model today is tempered by its terrible fit. That said, I think I still have a couple in the stash.

Big Mahalo guys, thanks for the comps & kind words... I'm gonna surprise the Col. with it tomorrow. Will try to get a few more pics then. One thing I notice this morning was the paint didn't lay down after a long drying period so I had to rub it out (so-to-speak). Think the high humidity had something to do with it, been really bad the last few days.

Now I'm working on a Tamiya NSX (racing type) for a close friend in Thailand... Gotta finish that one before Saturday :) wish me luck! :woot.gif:

Again a big Mahalo :thumbsup:

Mark

Beautiful build Mark, I love the "Six", those were great days when they carried those markings, do you mind telling me who you're building it for? I know a

couple of pilot's that flew out there while they had the "Six", just his last name will do, did you know Col. Arthur?

Bob

Aloha all & thanks again for the comments, I really appreciate it!!! :taunt:

I presented the model to my former CO today, his callsign is “Pirate†(don’t really want to give out anything more, hope you all understand)… He was pretty much floored & didn’t expect it at all. As expected he’s logged time in the tail and even remembers the primary crew chief. He ended up spending the afternoon sharing F-106 stories with a bunch of us tanker toads; a lot of the new guys didn’t even know what the plan was, one young pilot exclaimed “I didn’t know Pirate flew the Mirage?†Sadly he was serious! It was a great learning experience for all, overall a great day and one I’ll remember fondly.

Again a big Mahalo!!! :cheers:

Mark