"Operation Eagle Claw" photos of Nimitz's aircraft?

I've seen a few photos of Nimitz's aircraft during this operation, but they're not very clear. I know that VF-84 tomcats had gone to overall gull gray. I know they still had the large national insigniaon the fuselage. I just can't figure out for sure what color the I.D. bands were on the wings. I'm guessing for most aircraft, the bands were orange and black, but I have seen an F-4 squadron from the Coral Sea that had yellow and black.

Does anyone have any photos of the Nimitz's aircraft?

Also, just to make sure, VF-41 had orange and black bands - small gray national insignia - small black aces without red stripes, VA-35 had green & white bands right? Thanks, guys!

This pic shows the "invasion stripes" were only applied to the right wings and painted squadron colors.

(Yellow and black for Vf-84, and red and black for Vf-41)

That's how the Coral Sea's aircraft were, VMFA-323 with the 1xx modex and red squadron code had red and black stripes.

VMFA-531 with the 2xx modex and yellow squadron code had yellow and black stripes.

All the attack squadrons had orange and black stripes. Coincidentally, the regular markings of VFP-63 and VAW-113 had black stripes on the wings, they left them alone.

I never saw any of the Nimitz's aircraft close up enough to see any stripes during the operation.

meanwhile aboard Coral Sea....

But I digress. Are you sure that they were gull grey all over?

NICE! - but to be consistent with all the news outlets at the time, it was the "Nimitz" and "another carrier". That used to **** us off so bad, the Nimitz got all the press!

and yes, over all gloss light gull gray.

Edited by Grey Ghost 531

Interesting...1980 was the year they transitioned to the overall GG scheme, but it wasn't immediate; tough to tell from the photo above, but it almost looks as if they still have the large-star insignia in the middle of the Vagabonds stripe on the forward fuselage. When they went totally overall GG it was a smaller insignia, and not on the stripe at all, just forward of the intake instead.

I wonder if this is a "transition scheme" shown, one where they'd done the upper control surfaces in gull gray, but still had the undersides white?

I've seen a few photos of Nimitz's aircraft during this operation, but they're not very clear. I know that VF-84 tomcats had gone to overall gull gray. I know they still had the large national insigniaon the fuselage. I just can't figure out for sure what color the I.D. bands were on the wings. I'm guessing for most aircraft, the bands were orange and black, but I have seen an F-4 squadron from the Coral Sea that had yellow and black.

Does anyone have any photos of the Nimitz's aircraft?

Also, just to make sure, VF-41 had orange and black bands - small gray national insignia - small black aces without red stripes, VA-35 had green & white bands right? Thanks, guys!

This might be totally unrelated but on the Nimitz Air Wing decal set for the '77/'78 cruise the A7 Sidewinders had an orange/black wing stripe. the decals for VF84 do not. The tomcat scheme was gray/white for that cruise.

joe.

I wonder if this is a "transition scheme" shown, one where they'd done the upper control surfaces in gull gray, but still had the undersides white?

As per the Final Countdown scheme? That's just what I was wondering.

To recap, to those who think we're nuts, there were 4 schemes...

Gull grey uppers/white unders, white upper flaps and tailplanes, large starsnbars over vagabond stripe, large starsnbars on wings

Gull grey uppers/white unders, grey upper flaps and tailplanes, large starsnbars over vagabond stripe, large starsnbars on wings

Gull grey overall, large starsnbars over vagabond stripe, large starsnbars on wings (??? Confirmation on wings please?)

Gull grey overall, small starsnbars behind vagabond stripe, large starsnbars on wings (??? Confirmation on wings please?)

This might be totally unrelated but on the Nimitz Air Wing decal set for the '77/'78 cruise the A7 Sidewinders had an orange/black wing stripe. the decals for VF84 do not. The tomcat scheme was gray/white for that cruise.

That was earlier and the A-7s lost those stripes long before eagle claw.

Edited by roym
Will this help. This is shot when the RH-53D's arrived at the Nimitz. There are a pair of VF-84 F-14A's in the bottom right hand corner.

vf84eveninglight.JPEG

I have a high-rez if anyone wants it

This pretty much looks like a transition scheme for sure. Yea, the nose gear doors are gray, and the main gear doors are white. The fuel tanks also had the chevron bands on them, right? They were closer to the front of the tank than in the middle like VF-103 painted their tanks.

I've seen lots of VF-41 aircraft during their transition scheme; with splotchy gray and white on the bottom back 2/3 of the plane with all gray on top. They still had the large insignia, and had stopped painting the nose black.

Sweet, thanks for the pics everybody! Vince

I think these were of the Nimitz (of course, it may have been the other carrier <_< ), they aren't terribly useful, but were taken around that time. I was with VP-26 out of Diego Garcia then…

CV1.jpg

CV2.jpg

CV3.jpg

(check out the poor guy on the F-14 stabilator in the last pic, glad it wasn't me…)

Edited by DonSS3
I think these were of the Nimitz (of course, it may have been the other carrier <_< ), they aren't terribly useful, but were taken around that time. I was with VP-26 out of Diego Garcia then…

CV1.jpg

CV2.jpg

CV3.jpg

(check out the poor guy on the F-14 stabilator in the last pic, glad it wasn't me…)

That's the Eisenhower eh?