It's been awhile since I have sat down and put paint to plastic. To get back into the building zone I decided to build up the magnificent Tamiya 262 (of which I have about four in my stash) built mostly right out of the box.

I have made two modifications to this kit - both are very minor. The first is that I inserted a metal tube into the hole were the pitot tube will attach. This will allow me to use some aftermarket fine molds pitots to good effect. The other thing I did was I built up the wing tip lights using CA sanded to shape. The kit lights were abit big and making them fit would have been more work .

Here is the assembled fuselage - the construction was straight forward, but required some putty on the understand where the wing joined the fuselage. This resulted in some of the detail being destroyed , I rescribed all the lost lines, and re-added the fastener holes using a very small drill (two twists only).

The canopy was masked with parafilm (as per this article).

The model was given a coat of mr surfacer 1000 thinned 50% with regular old lacquer thinner. I sanded the wing fillets smooth and rebuilt the fillet with coats of Mr surfacer as this looks much nicer to my eye than a panel line/gap.

Once the surfacer dried - I added a coat of Tamiya RLM 76 (mixed as per the following ratio: XF2:7+XF23:1+XF66:2)

I then did post shading of Tamiya black mixed with brown. This was followed by a splochy overlay of white. Interestingly enough - this a pretty good looking winter white wash as it is (I've used it before).

However, in this case this messy looking whitewash forms the base for extremely thin layers of RLM 76 mixed with tamiya clear. Hopefully the result will be a realisitic looking weathered RLM 7 base

me262_1.jpg

me262_2.jpg

That's it for now

Cheers

Frank

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update - I have put the first coats of paint on the 262. Here it is just prior to putting the future coat on. I'll let the future dry for a couple of days before putting on the decals.

me262_3.jpg

me262_5.jpg

me262_4.jpg

Thats it for now - thanks for looking

• 2 months later...

Here it is - mostly done. I still need to do a couple minor things, but for the most part it's done.

The only details I added were the direction finding antenna (on the spine) made from flattend copper wire, and eduard colored "Luftwaffe" seat belts, and smoke colored nylon thread for the antenna.

The paint is a mixtures suggested by Tamiya in various kits. I used the kit decals after applying a coat of Future. I am not happy with the RLM 81 color - it's far too brown in my opinion. I think it should be a more olive green color. I will be looking for a better alternative than this color for RLM 81 than this mix. The fuselage is just squiggles made using my Iwata HP-C airbrush.

I added some minor weathering to keep it from looking unrealistically uniform. I didn't add much weathering though as I don't believe the actual aircraft was operational long enough to become heavily weathered.

me262_6.jpg

me262_7.jpg

me262_8.jpg

me262_9.jpg

me262_10.jpg

me262_11.jpg

Thanks for looking

Frank

hey Frank Buddy! I see your up to your usually pefections. Im thinking this is just the inpsiration I need to get back at it aswell. I havnt touched plastic in over 10months and im itching to get back at it.

Great work as usuall.

Take care and Merry Christmass

Trevor