Revell Germany 1/48 Eurofighter Typhoon

I was at a local hobby shop two days ago and they just received a new shipment of Revell Germany's 1/48 Eurofighter Typhoons. WOW what a kit. My God there is enough ordinance included to wage a one plane war on any country :thumbsup:

Eurofighter.jpg

At any rate after a quick inspection I noticed that the decals have been rearranged on the decal sheet but the numerical sequence remained the same. How do I know this? Well on each page of the decal instructions there is a picture of the decal sheet and from what I can tell the German and UK decals have been swapped on the page... why? Who the heck knows. Suffice it to say that the numerical instructions for decal placement in the included instruction manual of course are totally off.

I quickly decided to send a PM to our resident ARC Euro jet expert Moritz who also concluded the same. He sent me a link to the Revell Germany site where they have the downloadable instructions that are CORRECTED.

Oh, and the decals are MARVELOUS ... extremely thin... I think they may be by Cartograph... not sure though. Moritz has a theory on Revell Germany decals... Mortiz? Wanna chime in here...

I'll most likely do an in box review of the kit with detailed photos if you guys want. Let me know...

-Greg

I just finished this kit. Pics are on the other computer but it went together like a dream and its my choice for best kit of all time. I have a resin bang seat I bought for the Italeri Eurofighter but decided the kit seat here was better so used that, never done that before. What a cracker.

:soapbox:

Colin W

My oooooonnnnly complaint was the Meteors. Decide early wether its a Royal or Luft jet. If the latter, remove the forward fins off the AMRAAMS and put them on the Meteors. The real Meteor has forward fins opposite the ramjet intakes on the body in similar placment to the AIM-120, but these are not present on the kit bits. You only need one fin for each Meteor though, so if you're careful with the knife you can have two normal AMRAAMS and four correct Meteors on your aircraft.

I have a resin bang seat I bought for the Italeri Eurofighter but decided the kit seat here was better so used that, never done that before. What a cracker.

:soapbox:

Colin W

Good call. Only use the Italeri kit if you ABSOLUTELY CANNOT LIVE WITHOUT a twin-stick typhoon. Someone needs to go over to Italeri and keep them from drinking so much wine! (how else could they do such a poor job on a kit?)

I have this in my stash, so a big thanks to the head up on the decals. That would have sent me through the roof i messed it up because of a wrong callout. Could you post the web link for the updated instruction sheet? That'd be great if you could

<...> our resident ARC Euro jet expert Moritz <...>

Wait, what? :soapbox: I do happen to like all French pointy and not-so-pointy jets, but an expert? Far from it. I know a bit, but there are far more knowledgeable people on these subjects here on ARC.

Oh, and the decals are MARVELOUS ... extremely thin... I think they may be by Cartograph... not sure though. Moritz has a theory on Revell Germany decals... Mortiz? Wanna chime in here... <...>

Not exactly my theory. :) Danny of DACO once posted HERE that Revell sheets with the serial number (bottom left of the sheet) ending on "C" or without a letter, they're printed by Cartograf. Those ending on "Z" are printed by Zanchetti.

The 1/48 Eurofighter decals do end on "C" and are therefore printed by Cartograf. Instructons can be down-loaded HERE.

My oooooonnnnly complaint was the Meteors. Decide early wether its a Royal or Luft jet. If the latter, remove the forward fins off the AMRAAMS and put them on the Meteors. The real Meteor has forward fins opposite the ramjet intakes on the body in similar placment to the AIM-120, but these are not present on the kit bits. You only need one fin for each Meteor though, so if you're careful with the knife you can have two normal AMRAAMS and four correct Meteors on your aircraft.

sv51macross,

AFAIK the Meteor in the kit is accurate. As you can see from this pic from the MBDA site it has no forward fins :-

meteor2_07.jpg

Greg, It is a nice kit the only real problem is the over engineered intake which is a pain to get to fit correctly.

HTH,

Ian

Apologies to you Mortiz...please take no offense in my statements. I should have said compared to *ME* you are an expert and have helped me tremendously over the short time we've sent PM"s back and forth on a number of projects :soapbox:

Mortiz, you also said they messed up your decals a bit? Almost as if someone handled them while the ink was still wet... ? I'm glad mine are all in great condition. I still can't get over the SIZE of this decal sheet... AWESOME!

I'll take some pics when I get home for those who haven't see it...

-Greg

sv51macross,

AFAIK the Meteor in the kit is accurate. As you can see from this pic from the MBDA site it has no forward fins :-

meteor2_07.jpg

Greg, It is a nice kit the only real problem is the over engineered intake which is a pain to get to fit correctly.

HTH,

Ian

Abb-bu-t-t-the meteors! Auugghhh!

I thought the meteors had forward fins! I'v eseen pictures...or was that just the prototype?

Some guys really know their Typhoon onions

Bobski has impeccable knowledge which he has shared in other threads, and if you search `Gary1701` you will find some superb Tiffie (and general RAF) photography. And they ain`t the only ones so sorry to all those also with Tiffie stuff I didn`t mention because there are many of you.

"The Truth Is Out There"-On The ARC

Cheers, Ian

I would just like to add that decals for Italian ones are not that good: colour and shape of fuselage numbers are wrong and there are not enought stencils, hope an aftermarket producer will take care soon! :thumbsup:

Two Mikes resin covers for the intake are the best and faster way to take care of that part forgotten by Revell, by the way let me tell you that there is almost nothing visible inside the intakes or the real one, vents are way down!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Paolo Maglio

Does anyone make Euro style helmeted pilots for either the Typhoon or the Rafale in 1/48? I'm not even sure if they would be the same or not... still does anyone know if there are aftermarket pilots that can be used in this kit or the Rafale?

-Greg

A very nice kit.

Heritage Aviation do a resin intake which is nice;

tiffieintake.jpg

Linky

Julien

Unfortunately, £12.00 = $21.6758, and that is more than I paid for each of my kits! :thumbsup:

I will stick with the cheaper method of fixing it myself. Not that I am going to even start on a Typhoon anytime soon, you realize! :D

Larry

I just received the Heritage Aviation Cavalier Mustang set and it is going to require a lot of clean up...mismatched molds, tons of flash and pits in the resin. If the intake is anything like that, I will stick with the kit parts

Apologies to you Mortiz...please take no offense in my statements. <...> you also said they messed up your decals a bit? Almost as if someone handled them while the ink was still wet... ? <...>

Hey, I'm anything but offended. ;) And, yes, they did mess up the decals in my kit. Some (I think about 8 or 9) of the multi-colour decals look like they were smeared accidentally. By a stroke of luck, they only messed up options I didn't intend to build anyway. :cheers: :D

Does anyone make Euro style helmeted pilots for either the Typhoon or the Rafale in 1/48? <...>

PJ Productions does a 1/48 French "modern" pilot. Should work all right in a Rafale. Won't work in a Typhoon, as the French use a helmet and mask design of their own which looks somewhat different from other helmets.

The WEBSITE of PJ Productions doesn't work for me at the moment.

481116.jpg

I think that the Modern French pilot is suitable for Mirage F.1 and 2000 (maybe also the III?), but not the Rafale. Rafale pilots use helmet mounted sights, and that looks different from the one shown. I've been wrong before though...

Jens

Do the flaps on parked 1:1 Typhoons drop, or are they like the Mirage and in the neutral position?

Yes and no. The foreplanes will lower when the power is off and the elevons on the back of the wing may droop or stick up, it varies.

As for helmets, it's a touch one. A modern RAF pilot figure would work for a Brit aircraft, unless you're planning to do a guy wearing the HEA, in which case you're a bit screwed...

Well guys... looks like I'm outta luck... PJ Productions actually does list the dates and all of their 'modern' pilots are 80's - 90's...

Ah well... I love to put pilots in the chairs as I find it gives a better perspective of the actual size of these beasts...

/shrug too bad...

Thanks all the same chaps.

-Greg

PS: The 80s-90s RAF pilot figure is really nice... would be great for a Tornado...

Well guys... looks like I'm outta luck... PJ Productions actually does list the dates and all of their 'modern' pilots are 80's - 90's...

Ah well... I love to put pilots in the chairs as I find it gives a better perspective of the actual size of these beasts...

/shrug too bad...

Thanks all the same chaps.

-Greg

PS: The 80s-90s RAF pilot figure is really nice... would be great for a Tornado...

An 80's / 90's RAF pilot would be close. Not exact, but with the canopy down and some clever painting (using references) you wouldn't notice the difference...

Hi all,

I just found this kit in my stash and have started to build it up - very nice it is too! Anyway, I appear to have lost the decal sheet...how would I go about finding a new one?

Cheers,

Ben :monkeydance:

Ben,PM me your address,You can have the remenents of mine if you like ,(Minus the 17Sqn ones of course..)

Merv