1/72 Hasegawa Ki-43 II

Simple, quick project. Started 2 days ago.

oscar-1.jpg

oscar-2.jpg

oscar-3.jpg

oscar-4.jpg

oscar-5.jpg

oscar-6.jpg

Built pretty much OOB, but with the raised panel lines sanded and rescribed. Should be finished in a day or so. Chipping on the stbd side need to be better defined. The huge chip (masking tape boo-boo) on the cowl has been repainted.

Thanks, Patrick.

Jay, I wasn't happy with the chipping on my Zero. Rethinking my approach I realized the best way to simulate chipped paint was to actually chip it. So in order of application I applied a white primer coat, aluminum enamel, a Future barrier coat, then a haphazard green coat, and then a very spotty coat of the green paint darkened with a spot of black. Mr Color lacquers dry almost immediately allowing me to set the airbrush down, pick up a scalpel with a #15 blade and start chipping away. Then a quick touch with old, used sand paper blends and scours colors while at the time giving a nice abraded finish to the paint.

oscar-9.jpg

oscar-10.jpg

These photos are only a minutes old. The hardest part of this technique is making the chips appear random. But it is fairly easy to adjust shapes and sizes. Photographs really help in making it look right.

I'm pretty happy with the chipping on this Oscar. This is a technique I'm going to keep. It was actually pretty easy.

My intention with this kit was to do a simple, quick build and not to add detail. Well, that is not to be.

I chopped the tail wheel and strut from the kit to better clean the fuselage kit in that area. Somehow I managed to lose the cut off part. I had little option but to make a new strut and wheel. I suppose I could have bought a new kit and used that part, but then I'd still at some point have to make a new wheel and strut.

So...

oscar-11.jpg

oscar-12.jpg

It still needs a boot, but that will be attached after this assembly is on the plane.

I think I'll end up making new main gear legs as well. It will be easier and quicker to make new than to clean up those provided in the kit.

And here is where she is today.

oscar-13.jpg

oscar-14.jpg

Afraid this one is not going to be finished for this GB. I'm going to be away from the work bench for the next couple of weeks. So it'll have to wait until I can return.

The main gear legs still need work, tires need paint, prop needs decals, exhausts need paint. Still a little more weathering, especially the reds. All little detail stuff. Oh,well. It's close.