Pierre's Felixstowe F.2A - FINISHED after 17 months!

That's a great wooden finish, considering the scale. If I didn't know you had used oils, I would have guessed it was the real thing :D Scratchbuilding a 1/48 Southamton next, maybe? :rofl:

I could repeat my previous post all over, ten times or more..... Absolutely gorgeous woodwork Pierre :thumbsup:

What did you use for those tanks, oils maybe? I really like their look of faded brass.

Per

Time to glue the body sides together. Then came the lower wing assembly.

I started by cutting off brass pipes...

Felixstowe-1_8.jpg

Then I widened the slots to insert the pipes...

Felixstowe-2_6.jpg

And everything is glued in place. For the wing plugs I had to 0.8mm drill holes into the wings. It was difficult, 0.8 is almost the wing's thickness...

But at least now I can slide the wings on at the very end only... :deadhorse1:

Felixstowe-3_2.jpg

...What did you use for those tanks, oils maybe?

First I airbrused a layer of Vallejo Acrylics "Dark Grey Blue". Then I drybrushed the top edges with Tamiya Aluminum. After that I smeared on some graphit powder with my finger. Then I applied various shades of red brown pastels to simulate rust.

Could you tell me a little about this metal cutter you're using. Looks like a a dremel in a combination of lathe and sliding compound mitre. What type of blade are you using to cut brass?

It is a regular drill press, which can be swung to the side by 90°, and a sliding compound mitre. I use a Dremel drill, and the cutting device is a diamond cutting disk. You can get it as a Dremel accessory. A cheaper version cuts fine too: the standard brown cutting discs.

Edited by Scalephantomphixer

Well, Pierre, I just caught up to your new build and just wanted to say... er... ah... well... gee... it's pretty much already been said so all I can add is dittos all the way man. I have to echo what has already been said about this build and will now just sit back and enjoy the show. It is truly a pleasure to be able to peek over your shoulder while you create another masterpiece. Watching your work and Chuck's Helldiver are highlights of reading ARC these days. Detailed WIP coverage is so interesting and adds to my living vicariously here on ARC. Though no longer an active builder, I come here often to get my styrene "fix". Keep up the great work. :thumbsup:

Edited by jeff briner

Thank you all for the cheerfull comments :P They keep me going.

I rebuilt the rudders with bits of brass, which I solderered all together. For comparison I put the kit original rudder between my parts.

Felixstowe-1_11.jpg

I clamped the assembled axis and rudder bar. Then I soldered carefully each pedal, without unsoldering what has been already done! It took a couple of attempts before I could get each pedal into the correct position.

Felixstowe-2_9.jpg

I think I have finally figured out why Pierre details his a/c the way he does. He has a fear that some day he will wake up in his bed and find that he has been shrunk down to 1/72 scale of his former self. If this happens, he knows it won't be a total tragedy as his highly detail models are in fact fully functional and he will at least be able to fly them around for the rest of his days.

All rudder command parts are glued: the pedals, control wire and pulleys.

Felixstowe-1_12.jpg

Closer. Everything seems ready to work :woot.gif:

Felixstowe-2_10.jpg

Even closer: one can clearly see the path or the rudder command wire, which makes a sort of loop to the front, and synchronises both pedals.

Felixstowe-3_5.jpg

View from the front.

Felixstowe-4.jpg

That's it, let's call it a day. Cheers and good night everyone :salute: