1/32 F-14B Tomcat

Thank you for the kind comments guys!I'll post some pics tomorrow in the night. I'll paint and apply the decals on the tails and tanks

Actually, I'm pretty stoked to see this one done myself.

My hat's off to anyone who takes the challenge of the Tamiya tomcat, and a salute to those who convert it to a B or D.

Thanks VFA-103guy! so if I understand right, the top surfaces are 36320, the sides and tails are 35237 and the rest of the aircraft is 36375 right?the pylons are 37375 too?

Nope let me clarrify.

Top sides 35237

fwd fuselage and tails 36320

undersides, pylons, fuel tanks 36375

So in theory my VF-2 F-14D's TPS is wrong? http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal7...-Michel/00.shtm

Quite honestly, it's hard to tell what you've done with your VF-2 model from those pics. Looks nice btw!

I really can't explain it any differently other than this.

There is a guideline for painting the F-14 that each squadron had to follow, how that squadron's CC shop interpreted those guidelines varried from squadron to squadron.

Topside colors are 35237. This covers the top side of the fuselage, wings and horizontal stabs.

The sides of the fwd fuselage and the tails should be 36320.

The underside of the a/c to include all weapons pylons should be 36375.

Basically, follow this:

32-119.jpg

So I'll have to repaint the top of the horizontal stabs in FS 35237...the tip of the tails is 36320 or 35237? so there is a small color error too on the drawing...since the stabilator is 36320 in the CAM pic... 35237 is so dark? and regarding my F-14D, zotz didn't talk about 35237 but only 36320 and 36375...are they wrong?

So I'll have to repaint the top of the horizontal stabs in FS 35237...the tip of the tails is 36320 or 35237? so there is a small color error too on the drawing...since the stabilator is 36320 in the CAM pic... 35237 is so dark? and regarding my F-14D, zotz didn't talk about 35237 but only 36320 and 36375...are they wrong?

oups...I'm wrong...just looked back on the VF-2 instruction sheet and there is FS35237...so my camo is wrong

I think the best way to do an F-14 TPS is to take pictures from the net, close to the cat you have or want and paint it by mixing the paint yourself. If it looks like a tomcat you've seen, it will be correct. I bought all FS colors (e.g. Humbrol 127 and 128 I can recall now), and ended up by adding keeping the underside 127 as should be, but mixing 127 and 128 for the nose and fins, and painting 128 plus a bit dark sea grey for the top. Then I did some fading work on the top panels, e.g. by spraying straight 128 in the centre of panels. Then the wash darkened everything a bit again. In fact, if I had mixed 127 and 128 and sprayed the whole aircraft in this color it would still be correct.

No real Tomcat has the same scheme and weathering as another. Sometimes the intakes have a darker color on the sides, sometimes not, also the fuselage parts outside of the vertical fins are different. If the elevator was tilted down during painting you would see a demarcation line there between the colors, if it was not they sprayed a bit further, sometimes as far as the landing gear bay. I think those mechanics did bother more about everything corrosion protected than being correctly painted. The older schemes with FS16440 tend to be more consistent.

I own an old magazine called Top Gun wich features an article about the Dogs "fighting" for the squadron name, with several pictures of Dog103. The CAM scheme seems to be correct on their drawings. But, as said be VFA-103 guy, the color charts is wrong. By the way he knows the Tomcat a bit far better than us, I consider him like my Tomcat Guru and trust him when he tell me the CAM chart is wrong. If I want do build a very accurate aircraft, then I need his advices.

I own an old magazine called Top Gun wich features an article about the Dogs "fighting" for the squadron name, with several pictures of Dog103. The CAM scheme seems to be correct on their drawings. But, as said be VFA-103 guy, the color charts is wrong. By the way he knows the Tomcat a bit far better than us, I consider him like my Tomcat Guru and trust him when he tell me the CAM chart is wrong. If I want do build a very accurate aircraft, then I need his advices.

If you want accurate you should really, really redo your exhaust nozzles.

• 2 months later...

So guys

I've been quite busy the last months and the building process will resume for the GB. And this bird is going to be transferred to VF-101 in the 2001-2003 sheme. 2 F-14Ds will follow a bit later, one from VF-101(AD 103) and one as Felix 101 in the Tomcat Sunset sheme