Just finished Macross Frontier

I don't care if it isn't PC, that guy has to be the fruitiest ******** around. Who else would mix war with singing??? Yes the VF-25 was cool, and the plot good. But his anime has just too many holes to fill. How do the Variable fighters take so much punishment and keep going? Where does all the enrgy for the VF's and the battle cruisers come from? Where do the Vaijra get so much energy for thier massive laser weaponry? How can an organic being fly around in space? How does fold quartz work and how is it made? And finally, why...why the hell does fruity Jpop make everyone on the good side magically stronger than the evil people?

Really...I hope he gets killed by the next Godzilla. Oh, wait, he'll Have Ranka lee singing to ward off the monster, and giant transforming fortesses to kill it.

Edited by sv51macross

I knwo what happens in Macross seven. Musitians fly fighters with guitars for controls and evil midgets with the power of song and love!

I only watched Macross Frontier because Macross Zero impressed me. Macross Zero is the only place where that damn song element belonged.

Uhm... how about the original?

The Macross sequels are a very mixed bag indeed. I thought Macross II was okay - not as bad as people say, but not fantastic. Macross 7 was junk - the soundtrack album titled "Let's Fire Fire Bomber" captured my sentiments exactly ("Great - you're fired!").

pa.125808.2.jpg

Macross Zero was good for three episodes, then fell apart with that weird bird-thingy. Now I'm 11 episodes into Frontier and my reactions are mixed. We'll see

At least they never made a sequel to Legend of Galactic Heroes.

BTW, if you want a good music anime, check out Detroit Metal City - the funniest anime in years.

I began watching the original when Frontier began airing on Veoh (I was turned onto the series by Zero), but couldn't get past episode twelve because the animation is so oooooolllllllld! The VF-1 is pretty cool, but the animation is just so...[shudders].

Macross Plus, while a bit ooky and dark, was the best.

Who else would mix war with singing???

Ummm that has been a staple trademark of the macross series since it first aired in 1982. Macross Plus was the only one to deviate from the formula of using music to defeat the enemy at hand. In Macross Plus the singer was the enemy.

Sorry you feel this way about Macross now. Macross Frontier is actually one of the darker and more serious series in the franchaise. It also has more on screen gore and violence than the 1984 movie had in it. Also remember that macross has never been intended for an american audience. Most anime is made for a japanese audience only.

Edited by HWR MKII

I knwo it was gory but it was too stylized, kinda like the blood from elfin lied. The blood from Eva and Ghost is much more realistic. I suppose it isn't so bad, the last episode just irked me bacause of the hyper-paced song-spamming and the 'rushed' feel of the episode. Add to that some ill-made tactical decisions (even too dumb for an ******* like Leon), and it was good until episode 24.

Ranka's pretty cute though! :thumbsup:

I began watching the original when Frontier began airing on Veoh (I was turned onto the series by Zero), but couldn't get past episode twelve because the animation is so oooooolllllllld! The VF-1 is pretty cool, but the animation is just so...[shudders].

Oh... one of those, huh?

It's like gaming. Some people love a gorgeous-looking game with mediocre gameplay; others will take unimpressive graphics for a game with great content.

Don't get me wrong, the plot is great. But another one of Shoji Kawamori's shortfalls is that explanations of technologies are nonexistent.

How does folding work?

"Captain, we may be able to turn this mysterious field in the middle of the ship into a magical defensive shield!"

"Do it!"

soem time later...

"Captain, we've done it!"

"Good, we're under attack!"

"Wow, they're flying in space!"

"Yep, thermonuclear reactione ngines! With that much power, you can fly anywhere!"

That much power? :thumbsup: doesn't environment have to do with a little thing called an oxidizer?

You get the idea. There are alot of holes in the storyline that detract from it in my mind. At least in Gundam, they tried to explain how multi-ton mechs can fly without wings and manuver in space and how massive explosions can come from a beram cannon. Macross...its just something happens and we take it at face value. that was one of the things I liked about Macross Plus, at least it seemed plausible without needing much explanation.

And I know that most of the mecha anime industry is driven by kit sales but do we really need 20 VF's in fifty years?

Don't get me wrong, the plot is great. But another one of Shoji Kawamori's shortfalls is that explanations of technologies are nonexistent.

How does folding work?

"Captain, we may be able to turn this mysterious field in the middle of the ship into a magical defensive shield!"

"Do it!"

soem time later...

"Captain, we've done it!"

"Good, we're under attack!"

"Wow, they're flying in space!"

"Yep, thermonuclear reactione ngines! With that much power, you can fly anywhere!"

That much power? :unsure: doesn't environment have to do with a little thing called an oxidizer?

You get the idea. There are alot of holes in the storyline that detract from it in my mind. At least in Gundam, they tried to explain how multi-ton mechs can fly without wings and manuver in space and how massive explosions can come from a beram cannon. Macross...its just something happens and we take it at face value. that was one of the things I liked about Macross Plus, at least it seemed plausible without needing much explanation.

And I know that most of the mecha anime industry is driven by kit sales but do we really need 20 VF's in fifty years?

So let me see if i get this straight. Your criticising an animated Science fiction show about jet fighters in the depths of space 60 years from now for not being realistic? Sorry but i have to laugh.

When i watch macross all i want to see transforming jets (check) Big explosions (check) some decent music (double check in this series) and an all round good story. This series delivered all that in heaps. . If i want reality ill go watch the history, military or discovery channels. or better yet go for a drive around the crackhead part of town.

Edited by HWR MKII
So let me see if i get this straight. Your criticising an animated Science fiction show about jet fighters in the depths of space 60 years from now for not being realistic? Sorry but i have to laugh.

When i watch macross all i want to see transforming jets (check) Big explosions (check) some decent music (double check in this series) and an all round good story. This series delivered all that in heaps. . If i want reality ill go watch the history, military or discovery channels. or better yet go for a drive around the crackhead part of town.

I'm an engineer, so I guess I tend to over-analyze things. I just want some kind of explanantion that keeps within the realm of reason. I did enjoy the series until episode 24 though.

The thing is if you watch the original Macross, it pretty much explains all of the principles you're wondering about, such as the pinpoint barrier system, folding, Valkyrie armour etc.

Don't forget that folding can be seen as the same principles as warp or hyperdrive.

As for Frontier i loved it and suggest you watch it again as it actually does explain how the crystals work, why song works against the vajra etc.

There's also alot of websites out there that explain the mechanical stuff. But then again it is anime after all.

The thing is if you watch the original Macross, it pretty much explains all of the principles you're wondering about, such as the pinpoint barrier system, folding, Valkyrie armour etc.

Don't forget that folding can be seen as the same principles as warp or hyperdrive.

As for Frontier i loved it and suggest you watch it again as it actually does explain how the crystals work, why song works against the vajra etc.

There's also alot of websites out there that explain the mechanical stuff. But then again it is anime after all.

I don't remember the pinpoint barrier thing being explained. Folding I can understand, the Valk armor too, but the pinpoint barrier system was never really explained.

And come tho think of it, was it used in Frontier?

I don't remember the pinpoint barrier thing being explained. Folding I can understand, the Valk armor too, but the pinpoint barrier system was never really explained.

And come tho think of it, was it used in Frontier?

The PPB Or pinpoint Barrier system was developed out of a residual energy locus left behind when the original SDF-1s fold generator disappeared after the jump to pluto. This is explained in the 3rd or 4th episode of the Original 1982 series. It was used in Macross Frontier. Any time you saw a glowy smoky green field on the tip of a fighters fist or on the front of one of the SDF style cruisers arms. THey learned to replicate the effect and it is now equipped on all main line fighters and battle fortresses.It has been in use on fighters since the YF-19 and YF-21 were developed in Macross Plus. It is most evident on the tip of Macross Quarter in the final episode when it pulls a "daedelus manouver" on the main gun for Macross Galaxy. the PPB protects the arm as it penetrates into the ship then turns off as the missiles fire from it.

And i just realized i have seen WAAAYYYYY too much macross for my own good.

Valk armor itself is actually more fully explained in Macross Zero in the first episode. They say it is light weight but as strong as a tank. and that is first gen armor from a time BEFORE the VF-1.

Edited by HWR MKII
And i just realized i have seen WAAAYYYYY too much macross for my own good.

Valk armor itself is actually more fully explained in Macross Zero in the first episode. They say it is light weight but as strong as a tank. and that is first gen armor from a time BEFORE the VF-1.

Yeah, the SW-AG thing isn't so farfetched; in Battroid mode the engines are (likely the turbines are composed of some semi-ferrous material and there are stator magnets in the engine walls) producing electricity for the actuation motors/hydraulics. It's reasonable to think that energy passed through some kind of ionically-bonded material would cause the ions to further lock together in a stronger lattice or something.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I don't care if it isn't PC, that guy has to be the fruitiest ******** around. Who else would mix war with singing??? Yes the VF-25 was cool, and the plot good. But his anime has just too many holes to fill. How do the Variable fighters take so much punishment and keep going? Where does all the enrgy for the VF's and the battle cruisers come from? Where do the Vaijra get so much energy for thier massive laser weaponry? How can an organic being fly around in space? How does fold quartz work and how is it made? And finally, why...why the hell does fruity Jpop make everyone on the good side magically stronger than the evil people?

Really...I hope he gets killed by the next Godzilla. Oh, wait, he'll Have Ranka lee singing to ward off the monster, and giant transforming fortesses to kill it.

Get out. Now.

• 1 month later...

Macross will have a harder time falling under the gundam syndrome of mediocrity. Shoji Kawamori likes to be very involved with any macross stories made. Macross 2 was made by bandai without him. For that he was very put off. It still isnt accepted as an official part of the macross universe.