Los Angeles County Sheriff's Dept SH-3H

I was a Deputy with LASD for some years. Im about to start a Hasegawa 1:48 SH-3H Sea King and I'd like to do it as Rescue 5 which is the designator for the LASD Sea Kings. Has anyone seen a decal set or are the police markings pretty hard to find? Sorry if the questions seem dumb, I'm new to this site.

This is what Rescue 5 looks like.

LASD Rescue 5

Welcome to ARC!

Sweet looking chopper!

You retired from law enforcement now?

Not retired, I am from Dallas originally and moved back to Texas due to my step father's illness. I am not in law enforcement anymore. I'm a private investigator now, the money is better and its less stressful. Thanks for the welcome.

Hey Welcome to ARC my freind!Nice looking chopper you worked with.We have a PD helo pilot named Floyd Werner who might can help you with PD decals.If nothing else,try Chimneyville Hobbies or Policecarmodels.com.They might have your Dept's marking you can transfer over to your helo.Also you can try making your own or have them made for you.These guys here on this forum are the best helo builders I know.You found the right forum for your SH-3 build.Keep us posted and post some pics for us!!

Tim

Wow, I really appreciate the warm welcome. I have been out of model building for a long time but decided to get back into it. I have a 1:48 B-1B that is begging me to put it together but I wanted to start with something smaller. Anyone have any recommendations for someone getting back into the hobby?

And on another note, thank you so much for the policecarmodel.com link. I found the decals at 1:43 scale so they might be a little off but they will probably work.

http://policecarmodels.com/1losancoen.html

:)

Edited by Justicebringer
Wow, I really appreciate the warm welcome. I have been out of model building for a long time but decided to get back into it. I have a 1:48 B-1B that is begging me to put it together but I wanted to start with something smaller. Anyone have any recommendations for someone getting back into the hobby?

And on another note, thank you so much for the policecarmodel.com link. I found the decals at 1:43 scale so they might be a little off but they will probably work.

:)

You might check and see if they offer the LASD decals in 1/24-1/25, too. The badge on Rescue 5 looks to be bigger than what you would find on the patrol units. Just a thought.

Welcome to ARC!

Justicebringer,How about a UH or MH-60 Blackhawk?Stay away from building Apaches.We've got an Apache pilot who is trying to spread his evil on us!(CobraHistorian)by forcing his AH-64 ways on us .

Just kiddin of course!He's actually a cool guy and a knock out model builder.If you don't believe me,check out some of his models and judge for yourself.

Tim

I don't know of any specific decals for the helicopters, but you could get 1/43 scale LASO decals and make them fit. By any chance do you know the official colors of Air ? I am looking for the gold, dark green and the two stripes colors too.

Thank You,

Steve

No I don't off hand but I bet I can shoot a few emails and track it down. Ill see what I can dig up tomorrow on the exact colors. The green is very emerald in color. I found a few more pictures. It's been a few years since I have been around this particular helo.

LASD Rescue 5 Pics

:salute:

Welcome aboard....

For your B-1 this may help

http://modelingmadness.com/reviews/mod/kolb1.htm

I believe they call the civil variant S-61. A true SH-3H has a dipping sonar, a MAD deployed body, sonobuoys and fires torpedos. I've even seen them with .50 cals in the side door. That sheriff job, while a real beauty, has none of that, Ill wager.

It could have been an ex NAVY bird, but I don't think that changes the designation once it leaves Uncle Sams control. But then, Ive been wrong before.

That doesn't surprise me. The Blackhawks are SEB's wet dream I'm sure. Any idea what specific shade of green is used on Rescue 5?

These helos have been de-militarized and yes they are ex-Navy helos. But as far as I know they still refer to it as a SH-3H. Then again a large number of LASD personnel are former military so thats most likely the reason for the military designator being commonly used.

Looking at built Hasegawa Sea Kings and the LASD helo, the big addition I see is the spotlight on the left side of the bird. Anyone have any ideas on where to snag a 1:48 scale spotlight or an approximation thereof?

Maybe out of some 1/35 armor kit. Shouldnt be too hard to scratch build, it needs be.

And take alook at the starboard side sponson - lopped off to half length. Quite different from an SH-3H.

Maybe out of some 1/35 armor kit. Shouldnt be too hard to scratch build, it needs be.

And take alook at the starboard side sponson - lopped off to half length. Quite different from an SH-3H.

Actually it looks like both sponsons have been cut down. Thanks for the observation.

Looks to me like you could use the Fowler's decals for the stars - the rest would be generic Microscale lettering, or possibly model RR lettering. And BTW it's great to have another former LEO on the ARC fourms.

Looks to me like you could use the Fowler's decals for the stars - the rest would be generic Microscale lettering, or possibly model RR lettering. And BTW it's great to have another former LEO on the ARC fourms.

Yeah I ordered the Fowler set. Now it will be all about the lime green and yellow stripes down the middle of the frame.

Rescue 5 is a good looking bird. It wont surprise me though to see both LASD and LAPD move to the Blackhawks. Both depts are pretty much para-military forces in their own right. LASD has roughly 9000 sworn and I believe LAPD is pushing 9000 as well.

Yeah I ordered the Fowler set. Now it will be all about the lime green and yellow stripes down the middle of the frame.

Rescue 5 is a good looking bird. It wont surprise me though to see both LASD and LAPD move to the Blackhawks. Both depts are pretty much para-military forces in their own right. LASD has roughly 9000 sworn and I believe LAPD is pushing 9000 as well.

LAPDs getting a EX-LAFD Bell 412.....and it will hardly be ever flown. A LAPD Hawk probably will never happen.

And a LASD Hawk will be a huge waste of money.....better for LACoFD to get three new FIREHAWKS.