Dragon M1A1 AIM

Model reviewers have long praised and bashed models of the M1A1 Abrams for accuracy issues from turret shape to hull details, sprocket holes and exhaust venting. Well back in 2005/2006 Dragon surprised everyone by releasing a all new tool M1A1 kit. Model reviewers have stated that it is "almost" perfect. The imperfections being so minor that they really arent worth nit picking over. I have to agree with them. I have checked the details on this model against every reference i can easily find and my own photos of a real iraqi war vet at the Ft Knox Patton Museum.

The kit is molded in the usual grey styrene. It also comes with a turned aluminum barrel, Select a pose road wheel arms, "Magic track" Link by link track (replaced mine with AFV club track) and some decent frets of photoetch parts.

So far the assembly has been relatively trouble free only requiring a quick slip of filler under the turret where the 2 shell parts meet. I am also adding a mine roller to the front of this vehicle taken from the Dragon Panther II kit. It wasnt common to see this piece of equipment attached to an M1 but it did happen. though the idea to use it is still up in the air. The plate in the pics isnt permanently attached so it can still be removed. Id prefer a Mine Plough to put on it.

Enjoy the pics.

100_4213.jpg

100_4214.jpg

100_4215.jpg

100_4216.jpg

100_4217.jpg

100_4218.jpg

100_4219.jpg

100_4220.jpg

One of my favourite MBT!

Damn, this is news to me but I have been out of military for so long. There are new tool M1A1 from Dragon?

I have the earlier offerings by Dragon and I got like 5 of them. Are the differences between the old and new tool so much different? Geez, I felt like being hit by a sledgehamer because I thought I will build mine someday.

Anyway, nice going on your build, HWR!

B

Mantlet sits right according to my refs. The lighting is a little bolwn out in my model pics but it sits nice and flush when level. The one in my ref pics has the barrel just slightly raised so it isnt exactly level or flush at the top. My barel in the pics i posted is just not elevated as high.

wonderfest035.jpg

wonderfest043.jpg

Edited by HWR MKII
Just got this kit yesterday. Can't wait to get into it. What's with the different letters in the instruction sheet? There are instructions for 'G', 'H', 'A', etc; are these instructions for different versions of the kit? VG

Yes you can build different vehicles from different units. If you look on the markings and camo call out you will see what number conforms to which tank.

Yes you can build different vehicles from different units. If you look on the markings and camo call out you will see what number conforms to which tank.

Thanks, appreciate the feedback. This is my first armor build, should be interesting. Yours is coming along great, by the way. VG

triple check the instructions for parts placement. They are very busy in dragon kits. If you can get some of the moveable AFV club track. It will save a headache later. The link by link track are good but for a first timer can be trouble.AFV club track is only about 15 bucks and looks aewsome when assembled. Pick a variant in the instructions camo sheet and stick to it to save alot of un needed work. Other than that the kit is actually quite simple and there are few if no fit issues. The turret and hull parts might need some slight filler and a good securing with tape when glued together but thats about it.

Actually that guys post just shows how inept he is at building the kit. He has the idler arm backwards and the "hole" isnt visible when assembled, The "graduations" in the holes for the lever arms o the suspension are so the builder can shave of the small alignment peg. The teeth in the hole are to grip the axel and allow the builder to position the arms for uneven terrain. Cant wait to see what other uneducated guesses he makes. He is bashing things from ignorance not from any actual knowledge of the tank or the kit.

Most of the gaps and seams on that kit are easily overcome with some tape. Once you apply your glue of choice just tightly tape the areas so they are square and flush. Not tough and it is a basic modeling skill.

Edited by HWR MKII

Ha! I was gonna' say something along those lines, but didn't want to offend anyone here, in case they knew him. My suspicion started when the hub lenses threw him off, then his paint job confirmed my beliefs. I'm far from an expert, then again, you don't see me writing critique articles either. Well, got my box opened and looked at the sprues..major progress for me. I was toying with the idea of the green camo, but that tan is pretty cool, even though it's a little plain. Just need to get my game plan in order. VG

Hi looking forward to seeing this one built as I've got the SEPS version in the to do pile, looks superb in the box as well,

be great to see a Challenger II from DML as well.

Andy :pray:

Thanks. WHat has kept me busy as well is im doing a total gearbox rebuild on my King tiger. Motor is fine but she just hasent been running right. Good thing i did too. I have to fashion some new bushings for it and flush out the gears. Been sitting for months just never had the time. Got the batteries for my Jagdpanther on charge too. I may whitewash it for the winter.