RLM colours and Tamiya (acrylic) equivalent

Hi all,

I am posting this in here as wel as the research forum as it seems it will get more exposure here.

I am wondering if anyone has a list of what mixes of Tamiya paints equates to the various RLM colours?

I am aware of the IPMS charts (and all the inconsistencies in them when trying to compare across the various paint brands such as Humbrol, Tamiya and Gunze). I also have the Vol 2 of the Luftwaffe Colours book with the paint chips in it but these don't help when trying to find modern paint equivalents (without going to the local paint shop and getting them to colour analysis each chip and make a pot of paint up!).

But things like RLM 02 and 70, 71 have no direct Tamiya match and need to be mixed. Does anyone have what ratios they use for achieving this?

Also, IS there a range of paints (preferably acrlyics) that include the RLM colours as part of the range?

thanks in advance.

Here ya go:

(this list is Tamiya's suggestion)

RLM 02:- XF22:1 + XF49:1 or just XF-22 * note X-22 looks to dark to me

RLM 65:- XF23:1 + XF2:1

RLM 71:- XF62:1 + XF49:1

RLM 74:- XF24:3 + XF27:2

RLM 75:- XF24:5 + XF50:1

RLM 76:- XF2:7 + XF23:1 + XF66:2

RLM 79:- XF59:3 + XF64:1

RLM 80:- XF58

RLM 81:- XF51:1 + XF64:2

RLM 82:- XF5 or XF5:1 + XF2:1 or XF5:1 +XF3:1 (Bright Green)

RLM 83:- XF61 or XF24:1 + XF51:1 or XF24:1 +XF51:1 (Dark Green)

Dear 'My name is Chuck and i build models..',

Many thanks for this list.

When you say it is Tamiyas suggestion where did you find it?

regards

My name is Peter and I can NOW paint Luftwaffe models! :bandhead2:

EDIT: I have just looked at the IMPS Stockholm sites colour charts:

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/colorcharts/s...rts_germany.htm

and there are some differences to what you suggest above. (EG RLM 71 they suggest XF-61 you suggest XF-62 andXF-49, and RLM 65 (common undersurface colour) they suggest XF-23 and you suggest adding XF-2).

Edited by pbhawkin
...When you say it is Tamiyas suggestion where did you find it?

EDIT: I have just looked at the IMPS Stockholm sites colour charts: ...

and there are some differences to what you suggest above. (EG RLM 71 they suggest XF-61 you suggest XF-62 andXF-49, and RLM 65 (common undersurface colour) they suggest XF-23 and you suggest adding XF-2).

I saved this quite a while ago, it has appeared on Hyperscale several times The posting I saved was 7 July, 2005.

I use Gunze and PollyScale acrylics mostly, so I cant vouch for these Tamiya mixes, although I do have Tamiya's version of RLM 02 and it is too dark compared to other paints. I occasionally look at the color reference section on the IPMS Stockholm site but I take their suggestions with a grain of salt as well.

The ModelMaster range of acrylics has WWII Luftwaffe colors, but most people who have commented on them say some of the colors are definitely 'off'. PollyScale seems to be close, and has a wide range of Luftwaffe colors. Gunze does as well but those are not currently being imported into the USA. Hannants (UK) has their own brand, Xtracrlix, of acrylic paints that also includes a wide range of Luftwaffe colors. There are a couple of locations in the US where those can be ordered as well.

Chuck,

again thanks for the added onfo.

I have spoken to a local paintshop and they have a colour analyser and say they have a 90-95% reproduction rate. So I plan on getting them to do a trial run of 'sample pots' (200ml/cc pots) from the RLM colour chips I have from the second vol of the Luftwaffe Colours Book by Classic Colours publishing.

Hi all,

I have attached a Excel spreadsheet at LEMB (see link below) as attachments are not allowed here, of what I have done so far.

Please let me know what you think.

I also can report that the tins of paint that the local paintshop made up from the colour chips are superb. They look just like the paint chips

http://www.luftwaffe-experten.org/forums/i...amp;#entry34419

I am glad you got good results with your color matching. However, I do have a question for you. When you say local paintshop, do you mean a store that sells paint normally used on 1:1 scale projects such as painting a room or a house?

If that is the case, in my experience the house paint pigments are not as finely ground with this type of paint and fine detail such as engraved panel lines (if the engraving is delicate, not in the Matchbox style) could be lost. More importantly, hobby type airbrushes will have a hard time spraying the paint. Also, while hobby paints in their 1/2 or 1 oz jars equate to something around $1200 USD/gallon, the small bottles do permit more colors to be obtained for say $100 then if you buy pints @ $8-10 (what my local home improvement stores typically charge). Finally, the small bottles help ensure you will actually be able to use all the paint in the bottle before it dries out.

Chuck,

Hi.

Yes interior house acrylics.

I agree they are thicker then the hobby paints, BUT can be thinned with water or hobby thinner.

Here the smaller Tamiya acrylics (10ml, 1/3oz) are A$3.65 each and the paint tins are 250ml (7 1/3oz) were A$7.50 each!!

I have had a go at spraying at 30psi and with a 4:1 paint:thinner ratio and it was workable but lots of air and little paint requiring a number of passes (3-4) to get a reasonable coverage.

I am sure that with further thinning (I used Tamiyas own acrylic thinner) that it will be improve. Also there is always running the paint through a filter/strainer if really required.

Anyway, I now have a life's supply of these basic Luftwaffe colours that are still very suitable for brush work :thumbsup: