Righty then all you Phantom-phreaks! (Although I'm sure your wonderful people really).

I'm building the Re-issued Revell/Monogram 1/48 F-4C/D.

Question----If the F-4 carried fully loaded TER's on the inboard pylons, could it also carry AIM-9's on attached launch rails?

I'm thinkin' of loading mine up with 2 TER's and an MER on the C/L.

Any one help as I can't find a pic on the net of one with this configuration.

Many thanks.

I don't think you can, the problem being clearance between the rocket fins and the bomb.

I know there have been some recent threads on this,try a search and check your reference photo's from that period.

Curt

The answer is YES with a BUT.

The F-4 C/D could carry both at the same time, but the bombs had to be dropped before the missiles could be fired.

This not the case with navy phantoms because of their use of a differant style inboard pylon.

Navy F-4s could always carry bombs and Sidewinders since they had a different style inboard pylon. Note in the pictures that there is an adapter between the TER and the bottom of the pylon that allowed the TER to hang lower and give more clearance for the Sidewinder fins. On aircraft with the Air Force style pylons, the TER was attached directly to the underside of the pylon, so the bomb fins were closer to the Sidewinder rear fins than they were on USN/USMC birds.

USN birds routinely carried AIM-9s and loaded TERs during Vietnam. USAF birds did not, it was bombs OR missiles.

USN birds routinely carried AIM-9s and loaded TERs during Vietnam. USAF birds did not, it was bombs OR missiles.

Hmmm can someone verify?

I read that this was only applied when the Phantoms carried MK-117's on the TERS instead of the much more thinner Mk-82's?

all the Air Force F-4's that had bomb racks had no missles or even the launch rails attached.

Well, that's not surprising considering that the F-4s that flew mainly in South Vietnam (like the F-4Cs from Cam Rahn Bay) didn't need missiles, and that the bombers that flew North (when allowed) generally had air cover.

Roles and missions - no need to stockpile missiles at non air-to-air bases or to keep the airplanes and aircrews tuned to use them.

As for the pylons/rack/adapters - the early F-4Cs used Navy equipment:

F-4C1967.jpg 1967 photo

Interesting opinions, for sure, but for Gordon, I think "an" answer is: for a typical F-4C/D Vietnam era A/G load, hang TERs on USAF Inboards, a MER or SUU-16 on the Centerline, and tanks on the outboards. Leave the Sidewinders off......and decide if/where to hang an ECM pod, Sparrows, and a strike camera. Yeah, I know , the picture above shows MERS on the outboards, and that's another re-thread, along with the USAF/USN outboard pylon discussion. And, predictably, the Sparrow carriage will generate another discussion as to which fuselage station considering the CL load and the ECM pod location.....

Time for Jim Rotramel to step in and summarize.

And Gordon, there are plenty of options as to the kind on ordnance to hang on the racks...for starters:

F4Chart2.jpg

Gene K