Another "Great Models" Bad story

So I placed a small order with Great Models Webstore for a set of decals back on the 18th. There was no indication of out-of-stock or anything, and the price was right, so I placed an order. The decals were $12.15, and the only reasonable shipping option was for "USPS Priority Mail" for $8 and some change - still cheaper than all other places I found them, so I ordered. I paid by PayPal, and after a few days, I wondered what happened to my order. I checked their website and it said my decals were "On order - expected 9/29" What was that all about? Why list something if you don't have it? Other websites list items as "In Stock", "Available" or "Out of stock" - so I had no idea they would pull this. A few days later, the order status changed to "Processed on 9/25". Ok, so a few days later (10/2) I still hadn't received anything, and when I called, this snotty girl tells me that I selected regular mail, and that it would probably take another week or so to get to me. I told her that the only postage I was offered was USPS Priority Mail, and that I had even paid for it. She paused and then told me she would let their "IT guy" know their "may be a problem on the drop down menus". At first they told me the extra money I paid for postage would be a store credit - I asked for it back, and the one good thing they did was refund it promptly. It's now the 4th, so those decals have been on the way from somewhere in the Midwest for 9 days - even at first class postage they would have been here by now. Avoid this place - I won't buy from them again regardless of price.

I am with you I was searching far and wide for some 1/48 PythonMissles and some tornado parts because the time I orderd from england i spent 200$ and recived nothing so i was ****** and looking for those pieces here in the Us an great models siad they had them so i purchased and just like I saw that they were on Special Orders/ Looking for. and In my mind why didnt they just call paragon and get them?? but any way it has been about 2 monyhs now and that is BS. the only good thing from them was a VHTF 1/48 Flightpath tornado set that i got but that 2 took about 6 months so iam the fence with these guys and their Cust Service is Horrible.

Actually, Great Models does list items as in stock or not. If they have the item in stock, the listing specifically says "in stock". If they don't have it, it either says nothing, pre-order, special order, or last received on xx/xx/xx.

Edited by Dave Williams
Actually, Great Models does list items as in stock or not. If they have the item in stock, the listing specifically says "in stock". If they don't have it, it either says nothing, pre-order, special order, or last received on xx/xx/xx.

Well what good does "Last received" do for me? Why is it that just about every other online retail site can post "In Stock", "Available", or "Out of Stock" but GM can't? The semantics of "Last Received" is silly. When I ordered from them , I guess I just didn't realize I had to figure out their system. I just did another search for "MiG-21" in 1/32 and went through ten random items - one came up with "In Stock and Available" - everything else had "Last Received on xx/xx/xx". How is the average person supposed to know what that means? I read their explanation and I still don't get it - I'm supposed to figure out how many they have based on that date????? Come on! ;) :D :bandhead2:

I think that if the 'last received" is years ago, the probability that it's still available is pretty low.

Regardless of whether one likes or dislikes how GMW lists things, the one thing to understand is that unless it specifically states "In Stock", it isn't. Not agreeing or disagreeing, but that's how it is.

Also, on the "last received" listing, there is a Hyperlink that says "what's this?" next to the date. If one presses that link, a popup box comes up stating exactly what "last received" means. It clearly states that it is the last time they had them in stock. I think most people would understand that if they last had something in stock on a date that has already passed, then they probably don't have it in stock today.

A lot of "problems" with GMW deal with people not understanding their system, and I think that the people buying have a little responsibility in that. Not understanding their listing doesn't make them a bad trader in my book. Yes, screwing up your order, or charging for different shipping that you don't get are valid problems. I've been ordering from GMW for many years and have rarely had a problem and don't think their system is too hard to figure out, although it maybe isn't as clear as it could be.

Another tip that has worked for me. Never pay with Paypal with them.

Edited by Dave Williams

Greatmodels is just fine if you limit your ordering to items listed as "in stock" and pay with a normal credit card (not paypal). I've ordered dozens of times from them and usually get my deliveries in 5 to 7 days. Their stocking info procedures are indeed a little more complicated, but if you watch what you're doing, you'll be fine.

:explode:

Mike

I have aways ordered in stock stuff and paid with a credit card and had no problems. As far as how they word things, its a no win situation. Lucky Model for example lists "In stock" or "available", which means its not in stock but can be ordered. That seems to confuse people. GMW lists the date they last had it. Before that, people were confused when GMW listed the percentage of times they successfully filled an order for an out of stock item, and that confused people. Basically if it doesn't say "in stock" its not in stock. Period. Unfortunately, if they were to just list "out of stock", they would get endless questions of whether it could still be ordered, or when it would be in stock. I like GMW's system, because the date gives you a pretty good idea of how recently the item was available, which is an idicator if you are likely to get it in a timely manner should you go ahead and order it . The older the date, the less likely you are to get it in this lifetime.

Stick with a credit card, and order "in stock", and things should be fine. Either that, or I have been unnaturally lucky.

• 2 weeks later...
I think that if the 'last received" is years ago, the probability that it's still available is pretty low.

Regardless of whether one likes or dislikes how GMW lists things, the one thing to understand is that unless it specifically states "In Stock", it isn't. Not agreeing or disagreeing, but that's how it is.

Also, on the "last received" listing, there is a Hyperlink that says "what's this?" next to the date. If one presses that link, a popup box comes up stating exactly what "last received" means. It clearly states that it is the last time they had them in stock. I think most people would understand that if they last had something in stock on a date that has already passed, then they probably don't have it in stock today.

I recently placed an order with GM and one of the items was listed as 'last received'. I overlooked this and placed the order anyways.

Two days later the bulk of my order arrived! Except for the item listed as 'last received'. I went to their website and clicked the 'what's this?' button. The last ordered date on the item was way back in March.

I wasn't too happy...

I then checked here on ARC about GM and discovered these threads in the bad trader forum...I probably should have checked here first...

I decided to wait about a week before trying to cancel that item and to deal with their 'customer service'.

The part arrived today, just five days after the initial order.

I'm impressed!

I don't know if they have changed their habits or if they are just inconsistent, but for my order at least they did an outstanding job... :thumbsup:

;)

• 2 weeks later...

I've had mixed results with GM. If stuff is in stock, then it generally has been shipped pretty darn quickly and with little problems. And often their prices are very, very decent. Their system is a bit tricky, but once you understand how it works it is fairly easy and reliable. That being said, I have had a thing or two show us as in stock and then not end up being available which was a bit of a drag. But in general, GM has worked out very well for me.

Still, Sprue Bros. has given me the best service. Nearly instantaneous ship and super-fast deliveries. But sometimes I have to go to GM for their selection.

• 4 weeks later...

Did I tell you all the story of when I ordered an item that was supposed to be instock? I ordered the item . I got a confirmation that my order was being

proccessed. I WAITED OVER A YEAR FOR IT TO ARRIVE! Basically, it was from Feb. of 06' to March of 07'. To say I was extremely p'd off is an

understatement. I was told that it was instock at the time of my order being proccessed and I had to wait over a year for it. I forgot about it

until it finally came in the mail. I called up Griefmodels and flat out told them that they will never ever be getting my business again

and I was filing a complaint against them. Lesson learned.

RYAN.

• 2 weeks later...

I never had any problem with Great Models and will use their service, good prices and good stock in the future :thumbsup:

IMHO only Sprue Brothers was faster, but they did not deliever a few items they originally showed up as in stock.

Nobody is perfect, but Squadron, Greatmodels and Sprue Bothers all deserve my business.

I'm very surprised to see GM in this forum. I order from them for shipment to the UK and have never had an order lost or late.

Possibly because when I search their site for something, I always use the onsite search function and select "In Stock Items Only". That usually helps... :thumbsup:

That said, where possible I would use Squadron or Sprue Bros if ordering from the States as their sites are easier to navigate and order from, and their communications are a lot better.

Edited by Pruz