AH-1Z and UH-1Y pics from Miramar

Are the Zebra models actually in use yet or are they still in test and eval? Cool pics BTW!

From what I understand, they are still in testing, they may hav put the introduction of the UH-1Ys ahead of the AH-1Z. I'm sure the experts out there can add to that.

One of the UH-1Ys was wearing the tailcodes of HMM-163, so they may be ready for deployment.

mason

Wow! That Cobra looks terrific! Very nice walkaround pics, thanks for sharing! Hope some plastic manufacturer will take a courage to make it

in 1/35 scale. :lol:

I think your builds would be very spectacular. Keen to see your start with.

Cheers!

Alexander.

I knew the Ys had been running with the HMM-163 Evil Eyes REIN recently... That's what the eyes are representing. It should be HMLA-267. But I didn't know the training unit got the Z already. Looks like they had a camo one out too. Cool... Of course I didn't go. Had I gone, there wouldn't have been a single thing new.

Dave

www.TheNorthSpin.com

Dedicated to Aircraft Flight Test for the Aviation Enthusiast

I knew the Ys had been running with the HMM-163 Evil Eyes REIN recently... That's what the eyes are representing. It should be HMLA-267. But I didn't know the training unit got the Z already. Looks like they had a camo one out too. Cool... Of course I didn't go. Had I gone, there wouldn't have been a single thing new.

Dave

www.TheNorthSpin.com

I had the 163 link with the tail code and eyes, didn't know what the actual unit was. So 267 was represented by the Ace with skull art on the nose, then? 303 had an example of each model A/C they fly on static.

I was surprised as all get out to see the UH-1Y and AH-1Z, but there was only one MV-22, and it wasn't flying, dang.

mason

I had the 163 link with the tail code and eyes, didn't know what the actual unit was. So 267 was represented by the Ace with skull art on the nose, then?

Yep... They get tricky when they're running with the REIN. They usually paint the code right away and sometimes don't have any logos or anything to identify the actual unit. All callsigns usually change to the REIN call as well, except sometimes you can tell what the type is by the number used in the call. Those guys were just doing about two weeks of urban missions around L.A. a couple weeks back. They passed over here a bunch of times.

Dave

www.TheNorthSpin.com

Yep... They get tricky when they're running with the REIN. They usually paint the code right away and sometimes don't have any logos or anything to identify the actual unit. All callsigns usually change to the REIN call as well, except sometimes you can tell what the type is by the number used in the call. Those guys were just doing about two weeks of urban missions around L.A. a couple weeks back. They passed over here a bunch of times.

Dave

www.TheNorthSpin.com

I've seen them, a couple flew over my house recently, wasn't able to see markings.

mason

The H-1 upgrade program gets us back to the airframe commonality that the Marine Corps has always envisioned for its HML/A squadrons. Not that I'm any sort of strategic planner or Bell stockholder, but the Marine Light/Attack squadrons have to pack a punch of both attack AND utility when deployed. Getting 84% commonality with the airframes is a good, good thing as far as supporting them in the field with parts and troubleshooting. Sometimes it's only a detachment of a few aircraft that is deployed at any one time, which makes reducing your maintenance footprint all the more important. I think the commonality with an Apache/Blackhawk fustercluck ends with maybe the engines??

Anyways, the Corps and the Navy decided that the Light/Attack mission requirements are still a high enough priority to warrant this upgrade. If we had a mission like the Army, the Apache-Hawks might make more sense, but we don't. Which brings up reason number 216 to love the Marine Corps:

"If you need another occupying land force, you can use the Marine Corps. If you need another rapidly deployable, sea-based, front-door-kicking, air-ground team, you can’t use the Army."

Andy

Damn well said Andy!!! OOOORAH!

semper fi

Dan

There was an Apache, here's the proof

8a603977.jpg

Ah, an Idaho bird....

Andy, yep. Engines are about it, and even then, it depends on the variant of airframe... You won't see straight 701s on a Hawk. I think they went from the -700 in the Alpha to the 701C in the Lima.

Mason, Absolutely AWESOME Snake shots!

Damn well said Andy!!! OOOORAH!

semper fi

Dan

Heh heh; In light of the abomination the Congress just put on us taxpayers, the Y & Z upgrade expenditures are like tinkling in the ocean! I want to see some models of the new ships-- oddly enough, I think the new Huey is actually more attractive than the Cobra. Adding the thick Cobra tailboom and engine package really makes the Huey look "meatier" and buffed-up. Kind of like the Glenn Danzig of the Huey family.