Canadian recce vehicle coyote

If you're going to scratchbuild a version you'll need to start with Trumpeter's LAV 25, it's the best LAV to use as a starting point. Otherwise there are some resin conversions on the horizon, both Maple Leaf Models and Real Model are work on sets.

Hello Anthony,

I scratchbuilt one last year using the Trumpeter LAV-25 kit. I also used the new set of LAV series 8x8 (325/85 R16 XML) tires from Trumpeter. As for the reference Prim Portal has a great walkaround series of Canadian LAV's.

LAV-25 Coyote Recce

LAV-25 Coyote

Here is mine...

000_0003.jpg

000_0005.jpg

And here are the progress photos.

Progress Pics

Here are the tires...

trp06607.jpg

Happy Modeling,

Joe

After seeing this more determined than ever to build one. Fantasic model but after all the effort that you put into it i dont think you should sell anything a lot of work as gone into. Regards owen.

Thanks for the comments guys...no plans on selling it.

@Anthony...the telescopic pole was made from Evergreen tube that I slid into each other.

@ChernayaAkula...No the tires are an aftermarket set sold separately, cost wise were $12 bucks.

I also scratchbuilt a LAV III before the resin conversions were available. My next scratched Canadian LAV based vehicle will be the ELAV.

Joe

Sorry for the late reply...yes the tire set is wider. Instead of me getting it wrong somewhere here is a great read on the Trumpeter tire set. In my opinion I’d stick with the rubber set, most times the resin sets are nothing but copies of the rubber ones. And never once had any problems with the rubber tires.

Perth Military Modeling

Happy Modeling,

Joe

First off,never get tired of looking at your builds Joe,simply amazing to say the least.

Hi Owen

I too will be tackling a Canadian Coyote. My base kit will be the AVF Club Stryker and I picked up a resin conversion for the Canadian one from A.E.S Designs. This conversion set is for the AVF Club model only. I'll also be using the Trumpeter aftermarket tires which I got from Sprue Bros.

The conversion set I picked up from ebay at $80. Sprue Bros also has a conversion set but is a bit more costly.

When I start my project I will be posting pics of the progress,please do the same.

Cheers

Tony

I see Sprue Bros is sold out of the conversion already,was $131

rea35125.jpg

Edited by Tony Hayes
First off,never get tired of looking at your builds Joe,simply amazing to say the least.

Hi Owen

I too will be tackling a Canadian Coyote. My base kit will be the AVF Club Stryker and I picked up a resin conversion for the Canadian one from A.E.S Designs. This conversion set is for the AVF Club model only. I'll also be using the Trumpeter aftermarket tires which I got from Sprue Bros.

The conversion set I picked up from ebay at $80. Sprue Bros also has a conversion set but is a bit more costly.

When I start my project I will be posting pics of the progress,please do the same.

Cheers

Tony

I see Sprue Bros is sold out of the conversion already,was $131

rea35125.jpg

You might want to wait a bit Tony. Here is the new Coyote conversion comming out: http://www.network54.com/Forum/169232/mess...odel+First+look

I think there are fundamental diferances with the LAV III that make it not a good starting point.

James

You might want to wait a bit Tony. Here is the new Coyote conversion comming out: http://www.network54.com/Forum/169232/mess...odel+First+look

I think there are fundamental diferances with the LAV III that make it not a good starting point.

James

Looks great. What will be the basic kit required. Let me know when available. Regards Owen.
Looks great. What will be the basic kit required. Let me know when available. Regards Owen.

I'm not sure but would guess the LAV 25. Best bet would be to ask on the web site I linked to. You dont need to log in to leave a comment but should give a name. I'm looking forward to this one also.

James

Sorry for the late reply...yes the tire set is wider. Instead of me getting it wrong somewhere here is a great read on the Trumpeter tire set. In my opinion I’d stick with the rubber set, most times the resin sets are nothing but copies of the rubber ones. And never once had any problems with the rubber tires.

Not the Maple Leaf Model ones Joe, after all, I mastered them! They were out long before any plastic/rubber ones were out. Actually I did the HobbyFan XML's too, in a more round-about way. When I mastered the HobbyFan Cougar I provided them with options for the 'skinny' early tire and the wider XML's (call them v.1.) Later on I re-made the XML for Maple Leaf and fixed up the sidewall detail (v.2!). The problem with the Trumpeter XML set is that the hub is from a US LAV hub, not the Canadian one (US one has more bolts around the hub rim). Here's a Coyote one:

IMG_1128s.jpg

Very nice job of your Coyote btw Joe, wish I could build that fast!

Cheers,

Jim

That’s right Jim, I totally forgot about them. They are a recommended resin set of tires. What I should have said were some of the newer ones out. I really don’t know if I could/should mention their names. I fell for the resin tire fab and was disappointed with them. Spent $27.00 for a set I already had and that they were not even all that round, and had some holes.

Maple Leaf resin tires

Thanks for mentioning,

Joe