Masking metalizers

I did a 1/48 Hustler in MM metalizers and used Post-It's to mask. The low tack worked perfefctly.....however, Scothc now has a low tack brand of tape....it's in the blue package, not green.

But....being as MM metalizer is a laquer and kind of "becomes" part of the plastic once it's airbrushed on, you probably won't lift it....of greater concern is the marks left by the masking medium, be it tape or what-have-you. That's why I chose the Post-It's.

HTH...

air

I tried MM metallisers once and found the finish, very nice but too fragile, even with post it notes. I have moved to Tamiya Lacquer spraycans (BMF, Silver Leaf, Gunmetal) and have not had a problem masking since.

I have heard that wet newspaper or wet paper is the go for MM Metallisers as an alternative to post-it notes

:D

MikeJ

Sebastijan, kudos for you for asking the question before un-doing your finish. Any kind of tape will lift the MM metalizer off the surface of the model. Trust me, been there, done that. If you can get away with using post-it-notes will be Ok but the problem is they don't stick too well and can be blown off with the pressure of the airbrush. Wet masking with newsprint is another method that works better. I would recommend that you finish this project up and then switch metalizers. The Testor's MM range is good for finish work where you need to highlight a few panels but other than that it is too fragile. I'm going to have to ask MadMike for an indepth how-to on his use of Tamiya products because I would like to experiment with something different. BTW, I use SnJ for the base metal coat and you can mask over it.

huh... thanks for the answers... Luckily I am not making a NM finish - the project in question is the F-16 exhaust where there are two layers, more aluminium like and burnt metal like... I think I'll spray one of the aluminium enamels first, mask it and then put on the metalizer... I think it's the best way with the resources I have at my hand...

Sounds like you have a good plan for the exhaust. Those MM metalizers do look nice if used as an aftercoat to highlight panels/exhaust areas. You can also mix them to get various shades. I've heard that you can't mix the buffable and non-buffable but I have done it and never experienced a problem.

Another thing you might want to try is to spray a very light coat of Future on the first one. I have had success doinG that in the past using metalizers. The Future does elminate some of the metallic look, but it's not bad if you keep it light.

Make sure that first one is thoroughly dry of course.

I'm also building a B-58 at the moment using Humbrol Metal Cote #20027, and have been masking with post-it notes.

This is ok, but as Shawn C said, they can easily be blown off with AB pressure.

What I have been doing is to mask with post-it notes, but use a little sliver of masking tape to secure them. As there is almost no masking tape on the model, not much residue is left on the paint from the tape - if any.

Any kind of tape will lift the MM metalizer off the surface of the model.

Not true. I've got a low-tack painters tape that is perfectly fine over metalizers - it's roughly the same tackiness as post-it notes, but in tape form.

And you can mix buffable and non-buffable metalizers, but the buffable shades will lose their buffability.

And adding any kind of clear coat over the metalizers will diminish the metallic appearance, particularly with buffed metalizers.

For the buffing metalizers, an undercoat of MM Gloss Black, almost-dry (about 40 minutes), will greatly enhance the adhesion properties of the non-buffing metalizers. I accidentally got a piece of packing/mailing tape stuck to one of my models painted in this fashion, and when I pulled the tape off, all of the Metalizer remained intact.

Don't know if this also works with the buffing metalizers, but it definitely helps the non-buffers. :)