FV107 Scimitar

This was meant to be an easy build. Something that could be put together in a couple of evenings OOB, a couple of evenings in paint, another weathering, and a nice little addition to the Armour shelf, and something that isn't German WWII.

I didn't spot this one right away through all the usual initial 'sprue fondling'. It wasn't until I went to start the cutting and sanding that I found both upper and lower hulls were somewhat short shot.

ShortShotHull-2.jpg

ShortShotHull.jpg

I didn't see any US importer contact for AFV club on the box, it would cost me more in gas to go back to the LHS than the kit cost me, so I figured, what the heck, its all flat panels. Should be an easy fix. "How hard can it be ?"

First things first. Cut out the short shot bits, and cut some 40thou styrene sheet to shape. The upper hull was tricky, what with the curved part from the turret ring, and the fact that its all on an angle. I ended up making a template from 10 thou sheet until it fit, then transferring to the 40 thou.

HullUpper-fix.jpg

HullLower-fix.jpg

I think I can do this :unsure: but so much for a quickie build.

Cheers,

Matt

Good job fixing it so far. I have a 1/15 scale one if you need pictures of it. Its the Accurate Armour kit.

Thanks, but this is very definitely going to be a quickie OOB build (problems not withstanding). If I start looking at reference pictures then I get a raging case of AMS and before you know it, its 3 months and 100's of hours later and I've probably got bored and given up.

I have a couple of picture online just to get an idea of how they weather in their Gulf/sand colour scheme, and thats the limit of my references for this build. Its like going back to the days as a kid where you just opened the box and started in, no worries, no fuss.

Cheers,

Matt

Well, I think I got away with it.

The repairs got a healthy coat of putty. Whilst that was drying the turret went together without much fuss.

Fit is pretty good, other than the lid of what I presume is the BV box on the back.

Usually the most tedious part on armour is dealing with the wheels. Not on this kit. I think I ended up making more stowage boxes than wheel sets.

I chose to add some extra optional stowage boxes rather than 'pioneer' tools, as this helped hide the repairs.

All in all, despite the need to repair the short shot parts, it all went together pretty quickly. Certainly looks suitably busy.

Next stop, paint.

build-1.jpg

build-2.jpg

build-3.jpg

Cheers,

Matt

Love the chieftain stowage boxes. A CVRT pre LEP program is naked without them. Only nit i can see is the wire spool would be mounted on the turret right rear corner betweent the 2 boxes and not in a place where it an get snagged and smashed like the rear bin. I spent some time riding in Scorps and Scimitars in my time in the UK.

Love the chieftain stowage boxes. A CVRT pre LEP program is naked without them. Only nit i can see is the wire spool would be mounted on the turret right rear corner betweent the 2 boxes and not in a place where it an get snagged and smashed like the rear bin. I spent some time riding in Scorps and Scimitars in my time in the UK.

Funny, I thought the same think when I stuck it on there, but thats where the instructions have it, and I'm in full blown 'damned the research' mode :monkeydance:

I also agree with comments on the stowage boxes. I think thats what drew me to it, it looks 'proper warry'

Man she looks great for a fast build, even better once painted. I’ve seen this kit but never built up. I may consider getting this kit in the future. Looking forward to the painting and weathering.

Joe

Thanks Joe, Its builds up quick. Not quite Tamiya easy, but close. In honesty there are a couple of places I coulda/shoulda spent a little more time, but that wasn't the object here.

And, so, just for you, The Paint !

To start with, the Rolling Stones method 'Paint it Black'. Plays havoc with the camera <_<

Black-1.jpg

Next step, mix up a thin batch of the base colour (about a 60/40 split between Tamiya Buff and Desert Yellow, give or take) and start to work it on.

I start with a couple of very thin 'all over' coats, then start to work in the highlights, then back over again to work out the contrast.

I swap back and forth between turret and hull, upper and lower to give it a little drying time as it darkens as it dries. Eventually you have to figure out when you are done. Its better to stop early, let it dry over night and then tidy it up the next day after a good look in good light, than to go to far.

Its a bit like pre-shading really, not meant to be accurate, but an artistic attempt to break up the monotone.

Sand-1.jpg

sand-2.jpg

If nothing else its a good airbrushing exercise.

I haven't decided if I'm going to bother with a wash or not. I'm sorta leaning to 'not' at the moment.

tomorrow I have to work on painting the details and doing something passable with the tracks.

Cheers,

Matt

Would you mind if i posted some shots of mine in your thread? Its equipment and arrangement have been fully approved by people who uysed to drive and maintain them for a living and still do for their museum.

Yours looks cracking in its tan finish by the way. I dont agree with the instructions ont he spool placement. Every scimitar or scorp i have seen had it on the turret. Your kit even has a flattened mount spot for it there.

Edited by HWR MKII
Would you mind if i posted some shots of mine in your thread? Its equipment and arrangement have been fully approved by people who uysed to drive and maintain them for a living and still do for their museum.

Yours looks cracking in its tan finish by the way. I dont agree with the instructions ont he spool placement. Every scimitar or scorp i have seen had it on the turret. Your kit even has a flattened mount spot for it there.

Be my guest. This was a complete spur of the moment purchase, mostly because I still have fond memories of my Action Man Scorpion as a kid. :thumbsup:

Having gone through this one, I'm very taken by this little beast. I can see myself building another, either a Scimitar or a Scorpion, or maybe even one of the other variants from A-A. So the more references etc, the better.

I'm not doubting you on the placement of the reel, as I said it looks wrong. The only reason I'm not moving it is that this was always going to be a quick, easy OOB, no reference build. Any weathering will be minimal. I know 'in service' Scimitars often show a lot of chipping and flaking back to the Dark Green colours, but for this build, I'm probably not even going to go there. Ideally I'll have this done and on the shelf by the weekend, and I can finally say that I actually managed to finish something.

Cheers,

Matt

• 3 weeks later...

Matt, I'm loving the paint job and I like the trick of using black as a base coat and build on it. Pretty cool!! Can you take as many photos as possible in your next steps cause I'm learning few new tricks from your build. Keep you the good work and thanks for sharing. :cheers:

Mike