i have an idea because the tomcat group build is coming up soon and i know a lot of people whant to build a tomcat for it my idea is what other 1/48 scale tomcat can you get if you cant find or afford a hasagwa what would be the other any ideas ar welcome :D :D

I would even argue that the Revell F-14 isn't that bad for the money. If you can spend a bunch on the Academy F-14 (Which is a good kit, too), you could get a Revell kit and a bunch of Steel Beach's GREAT resin accessories, a lot of which are made for the R/M Tomcats.

jb

the academy kit, although the nose is wrong, still not a bad kit for the price

Do not get the Original (Academy) boxing. For the weapons all it includes a sea of blue stripes. The Bombcat boxing has just simply awesome live weapon stencils/stripes. You also get a bunch of parts to use on a Hasegawa Bird. One warning, the molds are very old and not the best themselves, so get some Dymo tape and set of fresh razor knives to re-scribe the faded/nonexistent panel lines. That aside, fit is good and detail decent. I would suggest better landing gear if you're an AMS modeler, as the kit bits are not the best and building it doors-closed is like trying to spend a week in a full Playboy mansion and remain celibate. The cockpit is okay but not that of a Bombcat. If you put workers in their offices, then its okay but a resin cockpit is advised otherwise. Detail in cockpit/seats is good. That aside, it will b uild both original and Bombcat kitties, so I would advise you get it and save the Bombcat sprue/bomb decals for another project.

i have an idea because the tomcat group build is coming up soon and i know a lot of people whant to build a tomcat for it my idea is what other 1/48 scale tomcat can you get if you cant find or afford a hasagwa what would be the other any ideas ar welcome :D :D

I'm not sure how much you have to spend, but this week hobbybuy.com had the Hasegawa kit for $30. Can't beat that.

http://www.hobbybuy.com/us/sp/?code=HASKIT

Do not get the Original (Academy) boxing. For the weapons all it includes a sea of blue stripes... (snip)

Allow me to test my understanding here...

so just because the old boxing only includes decals for inert weapons (something that gets seen on an aircraft just as often as their live counterparts) it isn't worth getting? Your logic confuses me.

By all means, knock the kit for it's real problems (I won't, I love the kit), but that is a pretty weak issue to hang your whole arguement on :thumbsup:

so just because the old boxing only includes decals for inert weapons (something that gets seen on an aircraft just as often as their live counterparts) it isn't worth getting? Your logic confuses me.

By all means, knock the kit for it's real problems (I won't, I love the kit), but that is a pretty weak issue to hang your whole arguement on :bandhead2:

agreed, it could be argued that inert weapons are carried more than live ones also..one could just as easily tape and spray yellow for live missiles, deffinetly wouldnt waiver me from the purchase..

By all means, knock the kit for it's real problems (I won't, I love the kit), but that is a pretty weak issue to hang your whole arguement on :bandhead2:

Maybe he was referring to the Mirage III?

The original Academy kit is okay to get. But the Bombcat is better for the money. The main reason is they added some stuff to the original tooling and made some minor corrections to some of the parts, but kept all the original parts from the first issue in the kit. So while the model can be done up as a late F-14A Bombcat with bomb racks, GBUs and BOL rails for the Sidewinders, it can also be done up as an early 1980s jet as well with a load of four Phoenix missiles, Sparrows and Winders. The decals in the Bombcat issue are also an improvement over the original (although aftermarket decals will help bypass any shortcomings anyway). Some lumps and bumps have to be sanded off if you wish to backdate the Bombcat to an earlier configuration Tomcat, but it is easier to sand stuff off as opposed to adding stuff.

I have examples of both kits in my stash and there are some builds I prefer to use the original boxing for, mainly because that kit has no stiffening plates added to the tails while the Bombcat does. Granted the plates can always be sanded off though.

Look, the Bombcat is around, hang on...$5 more on luckymodel.com, and I'm jus tsaying that for that little you get, 1) so much more in terms of ordinance and updated parts, and 2), yes, the live ammo decals. This is two-parted becuase a it ios just so much easier to decal thn paint, and the results are almost always cleaner, plus theres the stenciling which really makes a piece of ordinace come alive. Plus, it just seems wrong to have an aircraft all loaed up with dummy ordinance.

Yes, the original Bombcat is a decent kit, but the Bombcat has so much more options it seems unwise not to get it.

I'm not disputing your claim that the bombcat boxing is the better deal (you're right, it is), just that your argument says "don't get the original boxing because it has inert weapon markings" which isn't much of an argument really.

I'm not disputing your claim that the bombcat boxing is the better deal (you're right, it is), just that your argument says "don't get the original boxing because it has inert weapon markings" which isn't much of an argument really.

I guess you're right there. It's just a personal preference.

I don't know why you guys are getting your under-roos in a bunch.

The Italeri F-14 is the new kit rave of the future.

I'd have to pass on the Academy kit altogether. It just has too many shape issues, and the addition of weapons is no consolation to this inaccuracy. All the aftermarket in the world is not going to correct the tooling issues of this kit, and with a price tag approaching $50 this is no bargain.

As far as the Italieri kit is concerned you would be better off using one, as the basic shape is much more accurate.

If price is an issue go with Monogram, if it's not Hasegawa, as mentioned above Hobby buy has one this week for $30. Keep your eyes open and Hasegawa F-14's can be found at or below $40, the A's as low as $25.

Curt

Academy

Acmy2052.jpg

Hasegawa

hass032.jpg

Italieri

Itl012.jpg

Photo disclaimer; I am only using these photos as a comparison of the kit shape, and not to degrade the builders in any way,these are top notch builds. These photo's were found on this site also.

Why don't you try to decide which cat you're going to do first. Timeframe/squadron/etc. That way you'll already know if you need a kit that comes with LANTIRN adapter, BOL rails, NACA vent, etc. Things I just named are NOT included in the $25 Hasegawa kit, they do come with Academys Bombcat, but not the earlier version.

I would suggest clicking on that really pretty tomcat picture under Paul.Nortness's name and you can have an excellent look at all the 1/48 kits being built. Thanks again Paul!

I also have to say that the 1/48 scale Tomcat fight is always going on...but this is the first time i have seen a "civil war" Academy vs. Academy.

Academy

Acmy2052.jpg

Hasegawa

hass032.jpg

Italieri

Itl012.jpg

Photo disclaimer; I am only using these photos as a comparison of the kit shape, and not to degrade the builders in any way,these are top notch builds. These photo's were found on this site also.

Thanks for that comparison Curt - never knew the Academy nose was so bad. Now I know why people are slamming it. And yes, the Italeri kit looks better. Still Hasegawa would be my personal choice though. Here in the UK, the Atlantic Sqn boxing sell for about £25 and you get a fair number of parts and modelling time for that money...

Jens

Yes, if you want to do an OOB build, then the Academy kit does indeed have a nose issue on the bottom as in front of the nose gear, it bulges down around where the lower nose sensor mounts before coming back up. It is a very easy fix even to somebody who hasn't done much in the way of fixes to stuff like this.

Option 1 is to get the Steel Beach resin piece to fix it as you cut out the bulging area and replace it with one that isn't bulging and the nose itself is replaced with a resin one. This might be the best option for some modelers as Darren also provides a seven hole gun gas vent seen on the earliest blocks of F-14As while the Bombcat only gives you the two grill and NACA vent options.

Option 2 is to back fill the area and the nose with two part epoxy putty. Then take a Dremel with a sanding tip and have a go at both areas to flatten that lower nose profile on the bottom (use tape to cover up the panels on the lower sides of the nose as those are okay, it is just the bottom most panels you are grinding). You are only raising the lower nose profile by maybe 1/16th of an inch at most. I've done that fix twice now and the time to make the correction is 20 minutes tops.

Even without the fix the bulge doesn't seem to noticeable to me unless I crouch down and eyeball it from the side. Most of the time you are going to see it from the top. In the case of the model I built, it was the VF-124 Bicentennial jet with the red white and blue nose scallop around the nose. That decal was designed for a Hasegawa kit and except for a tiny amount of shimming to the bottom, it fit like it was supposed to. So the nose really isn't all that far out of whack (not like Fujimi's certainly).

At Tomcat Sunset we had over 30 jets on the table. Most were Revell, three were Academy (including mine), one was pre-merger Revell and the rest were Hasegawa. Looking them all over I came to one conclusion, if built properly, all can be made to look like Tomcats to me. Your own mileage may vary.

Edited by Jay Chladek
Thanks for that comparison Curt - never knew the Academy nose was so bad. Now I know why people are slamming it. And yes, the Italeri kit looks better.

Uhmmm... Italeri fwd fuselage is very skinny if you look in front of it and its missiles are undersized. Also, generic details as for example U/C bays/legs, pylons, exhausts etc. are too basic. Academy (or Revell) kit is a much better starting point in my opinion. Regards

Luca

Edited by Alpagueur
Yes, if you want to do an OOB build, then the Academy kit does indeed have a nose issue on the bottom as in front of the nose gear,

Option 2 is to back fill the area and the nose with two part epoxy putty. Then take a Dremel with a sanding tip and have a go at both areas to

There's more to the Academy fix than just the underside of the nose fuselage area, the whole upper fuselage is misshaped staring at the turtle deck going forward, and the windscreen is too flat.

I will concede theough that the acad's back isn't as 'humped' as it should if you will. Take for example this photo from Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:F-14_To...g_to_refuel.jpg

The turtleback isn't as humped behind the wing pivot as it should. I still say though that it is decent.

Oh you had to go there............ :nanner: That's where all the problems start.

Curt

Sorry I thought this photo was larger, I'll need to update it.

aca_f-14a_parts1t.jpg

Edited by Netz
At Tomcat Sunset we had over 30 jets on the table. Most were Revell, three were Academy (including mine), one was pre-merger Revell and the rest were Hasegawa. Looking them all over I came to one conclusion, if built properly, all can be made to look like Tomcats to me. Your own mileage may vary.

all three of mine there were revell/monogram kits.

Which one was the old-school revell? I don't remember seeing that one in the lineup, must've missed it!