Anyone else interested in the new 1/350 Kirov?

Got the new Trumpeter kit kit the other day and it's good to go with the rest of their 1/350 modern ships. Unfortunately, Trumpeter hosed it up somewhat. The main problem is that the decals are for the second ship in the class, Frunze (the painting sheet even says Frunze on the bottom, but the drawing is clearly of Kirov/Admiral Ushakov. The problem is that you cannot build Frunze or the two later ships from what you get in the box. Kirov was the only one with two single barrel 100mm gun turrets aft (the others all had one turret with twin 130mm guns), the only one with the SS-N-14 ASW missile launcher on the foredeck (the others had hatches for an additional SAM system instead), and the only one with Side Globe ECM antennas on the side of the large funnel (later ships had Wine Flask). The ships also differed in other antennas and CIWS, so each was somewhat unique, but if you see a picture with two aft gun turrets or the Side Globe domes on the side of the funnel, it can only be the Kirov. The plastic in the kit is specific to only the Kirov (with only one exception - see below). Fortunately, you can make one of the hull numbers used by Kirov by cutting up the numbers on the decal sheet, but don't use the name (which wasn't always carried anyway).

Seems like a simple fix to correct Trumpeter's error by simply cutting up the hull numbers on the decal sheet, but Trumpeter threw another error in the kit. They only include Top Plate for the radar on top of the rear mast. The problem is that I've only seen Top Steer in pictures of Kirov, even when laid up after her reactor accident in 1990. You have to go outside the kit to fix this one. Fortunately, Lion Roar makes a nice set of modern Russian warship radars in PE that includes Top Steer, as well as replacement Top Pair and Palm Frond antennas for other radars in the kit.

Strangely, the main boxtop art does show Kirov with correct name, hull number, and radar. Other than the errors, it's a nice kit, like all of their modern Russian warship kits.

Thanks for the head up Dave - the Kirov class cruisers is one of my all time favourite warships for pure aesthetics, and I'm glad to see that Trumpeter screwed up in such an easy way. I guess there will be etched brass coming from WEM and GMM and others that will correct the radar issue.

Jens

Edited by jenshb