Decent M1 Abrams in 35th scale

Hi

Usually build post WW2 aircraft, but my wife really likes tanks and I have been listening to Thunder Run recently, so I am thinking about an Abrams MBT.

I know each kit out there has it's strengths and weaknesses, but which kit offers the best bang for the buck price wise?

Thinking about building it with my wife, first armor kit for me, first model for her. Hope my marriage survives, ha ha. :D

mason

Speaking for 1/35 scale, the Dragon M1A1 AIM and M1A2 SEP are by far the best Abrams kits available, the biggest difference (Besides model differences) being one piece DS tracks for the M1A2, and individual links for the M1A1. They are quite complex and intimidating kits with PE, metal barrels, and upwards of 750 parts each. I've built the M1A1 and have the M1A2 in the stash.

For an easier build, if you're not worried about a few accuracy errors that the non devoted tread head would likely never notice unless pointed out, the Tamiya M1A2 OIF kit is quite good. You have the option to build a US Army or USMC M1A1 or an M1A2 out of the box, as well as including a goodly amount of external storage items to add to the build.

As for prices, from ericyymodel.com, the Dragon kits are US$31, and the Tamiya kit US$23, not including shipping of course.

first armor kit for me, first model for her.

Given the two points raised in your first post, I agree with BadCop. The Tamiya kit will be much more enjoyable for you to build with your wife. The Dragon kit, although better detailed and more accurate, might scare the pants off you when you open the box (and look at the instructions). If you do decide to slay the Dragon, so to speak, I would recommend you go for the M1A2 SEP kit, as it includes a one piece track, as opposed to indy link. You'll still need to glue all the guide horns, but you won't have to worry about working with indy links.

Hey Mason,

About once every 2-3 years I delve back into armor modeling. My prime areas of interest are WWII Shermans and any version of the M1 Abrams. That time is now here for me.

Please let me echo the common sentiments here. The newer Dragon M1A1 Aim and M1A2 SEP kits are exceptional. I have 6 of the older Dragon M1A1 kits and the newer AIM & SEP have nothing in common with their older brethen.

About three months ago I purchased the Trumpeter and Italeri M1A2 kits. The Trumpeter version came out first. I found that it's details are a bit softer than the later Italeri model. Curiously, with the Trumpeter kit I glued the separate suspension parts to the hull shortly after I bought it. Last week I was inspecting the kit and discovered that the suspension arms were no longer holding fast to the hull. Most of the parts didn't hold the glue. I've heard of this before with other Trumpeter kits, but this is the first time that I experienced it myself.

When inspecting the Italeri kit it became obvious to me that many of the Italeri parts were copies of the Trumpeter kit. The hull top is a perfect example. I've visited some armor sites on-line that discuss this as well. But oddly enough the Italeri parts are more crisp and clean. Last Monday I took the best from the Trumpeter kit and put it in the Italeri box. The "A2" that I build will be mostly Italeri parts. I'll tackle a Dragon M1A2 SEP afterwards as a separate project.

I'm presently preparing the figures and accessories for a Desert Storm diorama. I find that if I build the main armor vehicles first - I tend to rush through the figure painting that comes next. So this time I'm taking it nice and slow and doing a bang-up job on the figures. This also includes three camels which are already completed. The Abrams of choice for my diorama will be two of the older Dragon M1A1HA's, but one vehicle will have the mine plow from the Tamiya kit. I just find that the Tamiya plow goes together much better. The original Dragon kits build up into nice models, but unlike their newer cousins, they do require some tweaking to better "accurize" them. If you do a search on-line will you find plenty of sites that talk about the deficiencies of the older Dragon kits and what you can do to make them better. What I found is having the newer M1A1AIM kit to compare it to also helps. Yes, the AIM kit is that good that you can acutally use it as a detail reference for building other Abrams models.

Eduard provides a photo-etch set for the M1A1. It's pretty good. The latest Dragon AIM & SEP kits have the photo-etch included. Nice! :thumbsup: Yesterday I bought a new photo-etch set from a company that I never heard of before - Voyager Model. I must say that this set is much more comprehensive than the Eduard set. I would highly recommend a photo-etch set from any of the pre-Dragon AIM & SEP kits weather it be Dragon, Trumpeter, Italeri, Academy or Tamiya. It's one of the best ways to build a better Abrams.

Good Luck,

Randy

Hey Paul,

Is that the newer Dragon M1A2 SEP kit? I have the "A1" AIM kit right now. I'll probably buy the SEP after Christmas. Anyways, the track sets... are they one piece in the SEP ki? I thought I had read something to that effect, but I never really looked into it. As you probably already know the AIM kit has those "Magic Links". How are the tracks in the SEP kit?

Randy

track sets... are they one piece in the SEP kit?

Sort of. The tracks are one-piece, but the open guide horns are all separate and have to be glued onto the tracks. This is a simple process since the tracks are made of Dragon Styrene, which is a composite vinyl/styrene plastic compound that allows you to use standard model glues on it. They are quite nice and look great once done. They are the only correctly molded set of T-158 LL tracks with open guide horns in 1/35.

Edited by HeavyArty
Seconded Zmey...comes with PE, metal barrel, no-slip coating, and Magic Tracks in the box for a very very good price. Probably the best OOB armor model you can get. :thumbsup:

Awan,

The new Dragon kits comes with the above??? Damn, no wonder the ridiculous price! Now, it sounded sweet!

Just realised it also comes with 'vinyl' track, thank the maker! I hate individual links on modern tanks!

B

Just realised it also comes with 'vinyl' track, thank the maker! I hate individual links on modern tanks!

Only the M1A2 SEP comes w/vinyl tracks. The M1A1 AIM comes with individual Magic Tracks. I actually prefer ind-link tracks. They look more realistic to me.

Only the M1A2 SEP comes w/vinyl tracks. The M1A1 AIM comes with individual Magic Tracks. I actually prefer ind-link tracks. They look more realistic to me.

Hellllllo Gino,

Good to see you here! Thanks for the info on that! That reminds me to put 2A5 ind.link kit into my shopping list. (Italeri's replacements)

With what I read here today, I will be getting a few of these new kits.

B

Hey Paul,

Is that the newer Dragon M1A2 SEP kit? I have the "A1" AIM kit right now. I'll probably buy the SEP after Christmas. Anyways, the track sets... are they one piece in the SEP ki? I thought I had read something to that effect, but I never really looked into it. As you probably already know the AIM kit has those "Magic Links". How are the tracks in the SEP kit?

Randy

It is the "SEP". Tracks look good. I have always been a fan of individual link, but as noted before, this is th best looking T-158 tracks out there. I hope Fruimodel comes out with a link by link set. A lot of work but worth it IMHO. Put them on my M-24 Chafee and they made the kit. But I will get boiled in oil for putting on early model tracks on a late model vehicle. Lack of research on my part.

Hi Mason,

My 2c worth - the fact that you're wanting to do a build with your wife tells me you're looking for a quick, easy funbuild. I cannot see anything wrong with Academy's kit for this. It's well priced, goes together OK and what needs fixed is easy to fix. And most important when it's done it sure as hell looks like an Abrams even if the turret is slightly out of shape by a few millimeters - who cares really! Have fun with her mate - who knows maybe soon you'll be the one chin wagging about her spending far too much time on plastic and not enough on the relationship.

Geoff :thumbsup:

QUOTE (Randy Wise @ Oct 19 2008, 07:46 PM)

Hey Paul,

Randy

It is the "SEP". Tracks look good. I have always been a fan of individual link, but as noted before, this is th best looking T-158 tracks out there. I hope Fruimodel comes out with a link by link set. A lot of work but worth it IMHO. Put them on my M-24 Chafee and they made the kit. But I will get boiled in oil for putting on early model tracks on a late model vehicle. Lack of research on my part.

Thanks for the reply Paul. You know, as each kit goes by I find myself getting more and more obsessed about individual link tracks. I'll take your word for it and try the SEP kit. As long as they look just fine it'll sure save a ton of time on building.

Randy