1/32 su-27 ub flanker "zacto parts required ??"

It is a fact that popularity of scales is 72>48>32

How in the world is 72nd the most popular???? You can't get a decal company to make decals in 72 due to lack of sales so how can they be the most popular. Like you I;m primerily a 48th builder but my 32nd collection has grown.

Jim

I get the impression that 1:48 scale is the most popular in the US - but for the rest of the world - 1:72 rules.

Ken

I get the impression that 1:48 scale is the most popular in the US - but for the rest of the world - 1:72 rules.

Ken

I'd argue that 1/48 is also the most popular scale here in Australia too. It's probably more a Europe/non-Europe thing. Or, to put it another way, countries with space vs countries without space.

Kev

It is a fact that popularity of scales is 72>48>32

True and a little bizarre as you say! However, you can't knock Trumpeter for actually giving us man-scale jetheads some proper choice with their output. Unfortunately we are committed to guys like Chris (bless him!) to do Trumpy's kits justice as the customary shape problems are frustrating.

Tamiya produced a beautiful F-16 after some outstanding Phantoms. Academy produced a fantastic F-18C. Hasegawa's 1/32 output is now confined to WWII props. Do you think any of them will produce a Harrier, or Su-30, or a Century-series jet? No way! They play it safe all the way.

For our more extensive 1/32 jet subjects we are pretty much restricted to Revell and Trumpeter. Revell's stuff is generally accurate, while being cheap and adequate, but requires industrial-size quantities of putty and sandpaper, and levels of detail that almost require superdetailing / aftermarket upgrades. Trumpeter's fit and detail are comparable to the best Japanese kits (with a few exceptions) but the sheer frustration of having a great kit subject spoiled by quite basic shape errors (something Monogram/Revell seem to excel at).

Even if Chris produces a 1/32 replacement panel for the one errant line on the Tamiya F-16, I will buy it just to keep him in business. He is an exemplary cottage industry manufacturer who deserves the support of the 1/32 modelling community! We may be few, but we obviously have deep pockets or we would be joining the 1/72 majority!

Well that thread was definitely an interesting read. Thanks for the info on the shape issues of the new kit Chris. As for the detail parts, there was never a doubt in my mind whose parts were best. When I finally get to my Su-27 build someday, your parts will be on my shopping list.

In the meantime...there is only one thing left to say...:wave:

Su-30MKM TVC engines and conversion? :pray: :D

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Malaysia---...0MKM/1316270/M/

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Malaysia---...0MKM/1303689/M/

FOr me the move to the big kits is ALL about the eyesight thing.

As to Zactoman and his conversions.

I build for fun, occasionally I will work my tail off to make a perfect (in my eyes) kit. SOme of the guys on this board build museum quality from their kits, and to do that, you HAVE to go aftermarket, or make it yourself.

With Zacto man, 99% of the shape, rivet, outline work is done for you. The other 1% he straight up tells you he could not, or cannot justify the cost to produce that one single part.

The proof of his accuracy is in the fact that Trumpeteer allegedly ripped him off in later releases. (Chris, I say allegedly because of the nature of a litigious society). To me, this is the highest form of compliment, and the greatest insult to him, and any other cottage industry. Lion Roar is another company that comes to mind, even copying specific errors the photo etch had placed into it to identify it as his specific product, not Chris, but another friend of mine, (again allegedly).

Although at this specific time and place, I cannot afford Zactoman's product, (nor the trumpeter model to be honest) I will when (and if) I ever buy the S U 27 model.

Ric

(although the unsquash your SLUFF is going to be a necessity...)

Chris

you need to update the instruction sheet for the intakes

Trumpeter has modifyed the fuselage to feet larger intakes

both single seat and twin seat

your cut area in the front side is no more valid

:)

Thank you for calling that to my attention. :cheers: I hadn't noticed that area.

I have updated my website to warn people that Trumpeter has 'retooled' the kit and I included links to this thread.

I also included a link to a picture showing the difference in the modifications that will be needed to fit my intakes:

Intakeplatformfix.jpg

Sorry for any inconvenience this omission may have caused any of you.

:cheers:

• 7 months later...
:woot.gif: For anyone still following this thread, the Su-27B kit is now available for $80USD from a supplier in British Columbia on Ebay. Goes by the name of modelmaam. Sweet looking kit and at that price makes the aftermarket costs to make this kit properly a little more palatable. After reading the number of posts, its no wonder that Zactoman's efforts are so appreciated. Keep up the great work! Edited by **Woody**
  • 3 weeks later...
hello guys

my girlfriend just bought me the 2 seater

:yahoo:

first I will build the single seater again but this time it will be fully optioned :deadhorse1:

I have the full zacto kit "nose canopy and air intakes" and aires set : cockpit weel bay and exhaust and eduards photoetched parts

My question is : Do I need correct air intakes and nose from zactomodels for the ub version

are they the same for the 2 seater ?

DSC03358.jpg

I've built the single seater "as is" and I've looked at the review on Cybermodeler. Trumpeter seems to have corrected all the accuracy problems. So no, I don't think you need the correction sets.

- Brad :)

Note that the Su-27UB in the photograph is an early-build variant.

It does not have the prominent chaff/flare 'boxes' either side of the tailboom.

You will need to modify it to be accurate..... there are other Ukrainian splinter-camo Su-27's & Su-27UB's - check your refs.

Keep us informed of build progress.

Happy Flankering.....

Ken

I've seen splinter camo Flankers that are late production 2 seaters. See Famous Russian Aircraft: Su-27.

-Brad :deadhorse1:

I've built the single seater "as is" and I've looked at the review on Cybermodeler. Trumpeter seems to have corrected all the accuracy problems. So no, I don't think you need the correction sets.

- Brad :)

Hi Brad,

That's very interesting. I look forward to seeing how your Flanker looks OOTB.

I don't have the kit so can't comment first hand but, from what I've read elsewhere the Zacto sets still offer a significant step in accuracy, quality and finesse over the Trumpeter parts.

Also, before you build your model you might want to take a look at the kit twin seat canopy and compare it to pics of the actual aircraft. Zactomodels is working on an accurate replacement for that part too. :yahoo:

Good luck with your build.

:deadhorse1:

I just "ordered" mine from the supplier in BC and have been researching detailing kits for this model. One item I found was the Quickboost seats for the SU-27UB under their part number QB 32 043. Does anyone know if this comes with 1 or 2 seats? The description says "seats" which would normally imply 2 but the pictures only ever show 1. The other option is the Eduard kit to dress up the Trumpeter seats that come with the kit. Does anyone have a recommendation? Its really hard from the pictures I have been able to find if the kit seats are okay or also need a lot of fixes. Also given that Trumpeter has done other "fixes" would the external kit from Eduard (engine intakes in particular) still fit if they fixed the proportions that Zacto's replacement parts fixed? I have been away from this too long, time to get out of "retirement" and back into the game! :blink:

I just "ordered" mine from the supplier in BC and have been researching detailing kits for this model. One item I found was the Quickboost seats for the SU-27UB under their part number QB 32 043. Does anyone know if this comes with 1 or 2 seats? The description says "seats" which would normally imply 2 but the pictures only ever show 1. The other option is the Eduard kit to dress up the Trumpeter seats that come with the kit. Does anyone have a recommendation? Its really hard from the pictures I have been able to find if the kit seats are okay or also need a lot of fixes. Also given that Trumpeter has done other "fixes" would the external kit from Eduard (engine intakes in particular) still fit if they fixed the proportions that Zacto's replacement parts fixed? I have been away from this too long, time to get out of "retirement" and back into the game! :rofl:

I just got a response back from 1 supplier of this item. The "seats" are individual and at least this supplier (MegaHobby) has fixed their description.

I just got a response back from 1 supplier of this item. The "seats" are individual and at least this supplier (MegaHobby) has fixed their description.

The Two seat Flanker looks to be fixed after all the complaining. I don't have either the correction sets or two seat model in my possession, so I can't comment with absolute authority. Check Cybermodeler Online for this stuff. They reviewed the two-seater, and know of the accuracy stuff.

- Brad

I received the Zactomodels parts yesterday. I haven't yet opened any of the smaller bags but they look okay to me.

Let me stress this to you guys. I DO have a Flanker that was upgraded / has copied parts, but still, comparing them to Zactoman's parts, the resin ones are worth the money. I bought a complete set: nose, intakes, canopy. For those who don't want, or can't, spend the extra money on the full correction set, try to get at least the canopy correction.

Chris, how about a front wheel corrected guard in resin? :thumbsup:

Brad, I usually take some of Cybermodeler's reviews with a grain of salt. Sometimes, it seems that the person reviewing a particular model doesn't have a real knowledge about the real subject. Check the Italeri (ESCI) Tu-22M3 review for example. There is not one single line there to tell you that the kit is completely wrong in several (most) aspects. That said, it's a site I visit almost every day.

Ricardo

Edited by madcow

I compared all of the seats I could find for the UB and when I compared them to the images I could find of the real K36DM seat I thought that the Aires 32 2023 was the closest with the best details (add on belts vs molded). North American Hobby had them at a relatively fair price and at least their shipping wasn't horrendous! I think the next upgrade with be the Eduard exterior set. :yahoo: Should be a very fun build!

Mark

Edited by **Woody**

"For those of you who remember some of the glitches in the Trumpeter Su-27 kit design will also remember the beautiful Zactoman conversions to bring the Trumpeter kit up to specification. Showing their own commitment to the subject, Trumpeter has announced their own correction set which appears to provide similar corrections as the Zactoman conversions, but in styrene. If you compare the photos from the correction preview with the sprues in this release, it looks like Trumpeter has already corrected this kit."

This is from Cybermodeller's review of the UB kit. I don't think they will have done as nice of a job as Zactoman. Based on the parts increase for the cockpits I will wait on any conversions until I can see and compare what the kit already has (except for the seats which should already be on their way). What I don't like about their reviews is that they indicate that they are going from photos, not actually handling the kit. There is no building being done to describe the fit of the pieces, etc.. Its like looking at a car brochure and then saying how good the car is... where's the test drive?:wasntme:

Edited by **Woody**
I received the Zactomodels parts yesterday. I haven't yet opened any of the smaller bags but they look okay to me.

Let me stress this to you guys. I DO have a Flanker that was upgraded / has copied parts, but still, comparing them to Zactoman's parts, the resin ones are worth the money. I bought a complete set: nose, intakes, canopy. For those who don't want, or can't, spend the extra money on the full correction set, try to get at least the canopy correction.

Chris, how about a front wheel corrected guard in resin? :P

Brad, I usually take some of Cybermodeler's reviews with a grain of salt. Sometimes, it seems that the person reviewing a particular model doesn't have a real knowledge about the real subject. Check the Italeri (ESCI) Tu-22M3 review for example. There is not one single line there to tell you that the kit is completely wrong in several (most) aspects. That said, it's a site I visit almost every day.

Ricardo

True, just like anything, it can not be taken as gospel. However, I did see the photos in the review, and the "corrected" Trumpeter parts look right to me.....but I am not a rivet counter. Although, even I new the single seat version had some problems, but as a highschool student, I lacked the funding to fix them...

- Brad

I found another review on the HyperScale web site. From their description it sounds like they definitely did some of the fixes required but the weapons are still a mess. That being said, would the Eduard exterior photo etched parts still work in the corrected engine intakes? If they made them wider then they won't but if they just shortened them to correct the shape then the parts will still work. Anyone out there know the answer? :P

Mark

I found another review on the HyperScale web site. From their description it sounds like they definitely did some of the fixes required but the weapons are still a mess.

That's why there's this thread in the forum:

1/32 Russian Missiles

And just like here, I won't be surprised people will complain that those aren't necessary, too expensive or a waste of money. But I think some people would mistake a mangled piece of sprue for a missile. :P

I just finished the UB after building the single seater first. They're both OOB builds and I can say they fixed the shape issues but the zacto set is still better, it is more detailed. They also fixed the nozzles but they still have these monster rivets. I removed them all and that looks more like the real thing than the old ones. If you want to close the canopy anyway you can use the kit bang seats and cockpit decals, it looks good to me. I used the quickboost set for the two seater but with the closed canopy it was a waste because you can't see all the nice details.

The Eduard exterior set doesn't fit anymore because the intakes are wider now.

I will use the zacto set for another single seater that I want to build with ukrainian decals.

Hornet

I just finished the UB after building the single seater first. They're both OOB builds and I can say they fixed the shape issues but the zacto set is still better, it is more detailed. They also fixed the nozzles but they still have these monster rivets. I removed them all and that looks more like the real thing than the old ones. If you want to close the canopy anyway you can use the kit bang seats and cockpit decals, it looks good to me. I used the quickboost set for the two seater but with the closed canopy it was a waste because you can't see all the nice details.

The Eduard exterior set doesn't fit anymore because the intakes are wider now.

I will use the zacto set for another single seater that I want to build with ukrainian decals.

Hornet

glad I didn't buy the set then! thanks for the info.

Mark

The Two seat Flanker looks to be fixed after all the complaining. I don't have either the correction sets or two seat model in my possession, so I can't comment with absolute authority. Check Cybermodeler Online for this stuff. They reviewed the two-seater, and know of the accuracy stuff.

- Brad

I'm curious if you even read the first several pages of this thread or looked at the pictures posted, particularly my post on page 3 where I show very clear photos illustrating the differences between their 're-tooled' parts and my originals and give my thoughts on their 're-tooling'...

As previously mentioned, online reveiws aren't always spot-on. Check out Cybermodeler's reveiw of my A-7 correction (read the first paragraph) and the comments he made about my Su-27 correction and his previous review of the Trumpeter kit.

I found another review on the HyperScale web site. From their description it sounds like they definitely did some of the fixes required but the weapons are still a mess. That being said, would the Eduard exterior photo etched parts still work in the corrected engine intakes? If they made them wider then they won't but if they just shortened them to correct the shape then the parts will still work. Anyone out there know the answer? :pray:
Some reviewers might not have studied a particular aircraft as carefully as other modelers. Some might not have as critical an eye for details and shapes. Some might just miss an obvious error because they are in a rush to post the review. It is difficult to spot some errors unless you actually build a kit or at least cut the parts off the trees and fit them together.

To answer your question about the FOD guards, No they won't fit. See >>>this thread<<< for photos. And as I pointed out on page three of this thread, Trumpeter increased the number of rows on the FOD guards to 9 rows instead of the correct 8 rows...

Note that neither of the previously mentioned reviews of the Su-27UB mention any problems with the canopy. Again, see my post on page three which shows the problem using photos of the model as well as the real aircraft.

In the works is a correction:

UB_Canopy2.jpg

UB_Canopy3.jpg

Also regarding reviews, I don't recall seeing one reveiw of the Su-27 Flanker B that mentioned any problems with the canopy, nosecone, intakes or weapons until after I released my correction sets...

That's why there's this thread in the forum:

1/32 Russian Missiles

And just like here, I won't be surprised people will complain that those aren't necessary, too expensive or a waste of money. But I think some people would mistake a mangled piece of sprue for a missile. :)

I hope to update that thread later this evening with new pictures of the Archer missile.

There is absolutely no mistaking Alexander's work on these as a "mangled piece of sprue"! :worship:

Chris

Some reviewers might not have studied a particular aircraft as carefully as other modelers. Some might not have as critical an eye for details and shapes. Some might just miss an obvious error because they are in a rush to post the review. It is difficult to spot some errors unless you actually build a kit or at least cut the parts off the trees and fit them together.

Some really like receiving free sample kits from manufacturers and wouldn't want to risk upseting those manufacturers by saying anything negative about the kits.

I'm curious if you even read the first several pages of this thread or looked at the pictures posted, particularly my post on page 3 where I show very clear photos illustrating the differences between their 're-tooled' parts and my originals and give my thoughts on their 're-tooling'...

As previously mentioned, online reveiws aren't always spot-on. Check out Cybermodeler's reveiw of my A-7 correction (read the first paragraph) and the comments he made about my Su-27 correction and his previous review of the Trumpeter kit.

To answer your question about the FOD guards, No they won't fit. See >>>this thread<<< for photos. And as I pointed out on page three of this thread, Trumpeter increased the number of rows on the FOD guards to 9 rows instead of the correct 8 rows...

Note that neither of the previously mentioned reviews of the Su-27UB mention any problems with the canopy. Again, see my post on page three which shows the problem using photos of the model as well as the real aircraft.

In the works is a correction:

UB_Canopy2.jpg

UB_Canopy3.jpg

Also regarding reviews, I don't recall seeing one reveiw of the Su-27 Flanker B that mentioned any problems with the canopy, nosecone, intakes or weapons until after I released my correction sets...

I hope to update that thread later this evening with new pictures of the Archer missile.

There is absolutely no mistaking Alexander's work on these as a "mangled piece of sprue"! :whistle:

Chris

Sorry, I must have missed that. As I said, I'm no rivet counter, but I do notice major errors (ie intakes). Either way, your work continues to impress me!

- Brad :huh: