1/32 su-27 ub flanker "zacto parts required ??"

Several people have asked me what I think of the new canopy. Since I only just received the model today I've held back my comments. Here goes...

Canopies.jpg

Left is the previous Su-27B, center the new Su-27ub and right is the previous Zactomodels Su-27B correction.

For some reason Trumpeter decided to make the windscreen much narrower than on the Su-27B.

Note how much wider my previous correction is at the front of the windscreen.

Checking multiple photos and drawings it appears that the Su-27ub has the same windscreen as the Su-27B...

BvsUB_2.jpg

BvsUB_3.jpg

BvsUB_4.jpg

BvsUB_1.jpg

So it appears that the canopy is pinched and too pointy at the front end...And the IRST fairing is too small...

Narrowcanopy.jpg

Unfortunately I have too many projects going on right now to make a correction...

Sorry.

Perhaps some day in the future...

Then there is another small discrepancy that would be much more difficult to fix:

Contours.jpg

There should be a contour where the fuselage meets the LERX. The radius of the contour is subtle and passes just above the gun panel and gets tighter as it approaches the front of the plane.

It's a subtle feature that shows up in certain photos when the lighting is right...>>>Here<<< for instance.

Despite the problems it's a nice kit if you can buy one for closer to $100.00.

A definite improvement over the Su-27B :huh:

:whistle:

Indeed it is. I will build one eventually....after university, or when I find more space, whichever comes first....... :cheers:

- Brad

• 1 year later...
I'm curious if you even read the first several pages of this thread or looked at the pictures posted, particularly my post on page 3 where I show very clear photos illustrating the differences between their 're-tooled' parts and my originals and give my thoughts on their 're-tooling'...

As previously mentioned, online reveiws aren't always spot-on. Check out Cybermodeler's reveiw of my A-7 correction (read the first paragraph) and the comments he made about my Su-27 correction and his previous review of the Trumpeter kit.

Some reviewers might not have studied a particular aircraft as carefully as other modelers. Some might not have as critical an eye for details and shapes. Some might just miss an obvious error because they are in a rush to post the review. It is difficult to spot some errors unless you actually build a kit or at least cut the parts off the trees and fit them together.

To answer your question about the FOD guards, No they won't fit. See >>>this thread<<< for photos. And as I pointed out on page three of this thread, Trumpeter increased the number of rows on the FOD guards to 9 rows instead of the correct 8 rows...

Note that neither of the previously mentioned reviews of the Su-27UB mention any problems with the canopy. Again, see my post on page three which shows the problem using photos of the model as well as the real aircraft.

In the works is a correction:

UB_Canopy2.jpg

UB_Canopy3.jpg

Also regarding reviews, I don't recall seeing one reveiw of the Su-27 Flanker B that mentioned any problems with the canopy, nosecone, intakes or weapons until after I released my correction sets...

I hope to update that thread later this evening with new pictures of the Archer missile.

There is absolutely no mistaking Alexander's work on these as a "mangled piece of sprue"! :worship:

:cheers:

Chris

Gents,

Sorry to revive an ancient thread.... Thing is, I just made a very sweet deal on a Trumpy Su-27UB.

I understand that Zactoman will issue a corrected canopy in the future. Am I right in concluding from the pics of the prototype that it will not involve any cutting on the kit? In that case it should be possible to build the kit, attach the transparancies with a drop of PVA and replace them with Zactoman's parts when they become available?

Cheers,

Erik.

Gents,

Sorry to revive an ancient thread.... Thing is, I just made a very sweet deal on a Trumpy Su-27UB.

I understand that Zactoman will issue a corrected canopy in the future. Am I right in concluding from the pics of the prototype that it will not involve any cutting on the kit? In that case it should be possible to build the kit, attach the transparancies with a drop of PVA and replace them with Zactoman's parts when they become available?

Cheers,

Erik.

The canopy replacement for the single seater does require some cutting of the kit's part to fit, specifically the IR sensor housing just in front of the canopy. I've used thihs replacement set twice already. It's actually a lot easier than it sounds.

Whether the 2-seater will require the same work done is TBD. I suspect it will.

Terry

Gents,

Cheers,

Erik.

Chris,

is your correction going to be a vacform or resin replacement?

Bruce

The canopy replacement for the single seater does require some cutting of the kit's part to fit, specifically the IR sensor housing just in front of the canopy. I've used thihs replacement set twice already. It's actually a lot easier than it sounds.

Whether the 2-seater will require the same work done is TBD. I suspect it will.

Terry

Thanks Terry! I guess I'll have to sweat it out until the canopy is released then....

• 3 months later...
Any updates on the Su-27UB canopy?
second that..
third that...
Fourth....

I just returned from a little vacation.

My #1 priority will be quickly filling orders that came in while we were gone (and sending out invoices that were requested).

My next #1 priority will be getting the A-7 sets back on the market. Once this happens I'll be busy for several more days assuming that all who have been asking for them actually order.

My other #1 priority is getting the AIM-9X finished up and ready for release. Though Alexander did a beautiful job making the patterns, he left a little of the more complex final assembly for me and then there's the instruction sheet which should be quick.

Next will be the dual Aphid launch rails and possibly/probably MiG-29 forward intake corrections. These shouldn't take long.

Then,,,,,Finally,,,,I will be sitting down at the workbench and continuing the Su-27 two-seater canopies! I've been avoiding these due to the amount of time the patterns will take (and vacuumforming those huge canopies will be a big pain!). Sorry about the delay...

:wub:

• 4 months later...

I think I need to chime in here. (I might be a bit late here) Although new to this site, NOT new to the model world. I have been in this hobby for 50 years and entered the nationals and other contests for decades. Scratch building is something that I have done for 20 years, and Chris's products are as nice as you will find anywhere! Yes I could change the intakes myself, but when there is such a great product that already fixes the issue, pay the man. I have the corrections from Chris for the A7 which I was a crewchief on for many years, and very pleased with the Zactomodels products. And WILL be ordering the F-100 nose for the last piece I need to finish my collecting for that project. Although I have the SU-27UB with what people say is the corrected intakes from trump, I fully intend to order all the pieces that Chris has to offer for the 27UB, and the Flanker B.

I think I need to chime in here.
Thanks for the vote of confidence and the kind words Viperchief! :cheers:
Quick question Chris

Would I be able to build the IAF Su-27 or Su-30MKI from your correction parts?

If so, what kit would you suggest using?

My intakes, nosecone, pylons and missiles can be used on any of the 1/32 Flankers.

As for which kit to use for which conversion, this is more a question for Flankerman or the other knowledgeable folks in the jet forum but I'll take a stab at it:

As far as I know India doesn't have any standard Su-27 Flanker Bs but uses the Su-30K and Su-30MKI.

For the Su-30K starting point, I'd guess it's a toss up.

The Su-30MKK has the offset IRST though as well as the refueling probe and lights but also has the tall tails and dual nose wheel which would need to be changed.

The Su-27UB has the correct nose wheel and tails but the IRST, probe and lights would need to be addressed.

Once I finish my Su-30MKK correction the Su-30K would be an easy conversion using the Su-27UB kit.

The Su-30MKI has the canards, dual front wheels and TVC nozzles. A much more involved conversion.

HTH

• 2 weeks later...
Will your UB canopy work with the Wolfpack Design UB resin cockpit set?
I don't know for certain but I would think so.

The pics on their website are too small to tell much:

http://www.wolfpack-d.com/catalog/htm/WP32/32033.html

Do you have the set?

If so, how is it? Can you post some pics?

I will be including details for the insides of the canopy frame so you'll probably want to discard the parts that they include for the rear-most part.

Is their front instrument panel coaming extra narrow (like the kit windscreen)?

It wouldn't need to be to fit under the stock windscreen as it angles up dramatically from the lower platform provided.

How does their coaming compare to the Aires/Quickboost Flanker B coaming? Or the kit Flanker B coaming?

My windscreen is wider at the front than the kit part so there may be some extra space around their coaming if they made it too narrow.

Is their front instrument panel coaming extra narrow (like the kit windscreen)?

It wouldn't need to be to fit under the stock windscreen as it angles up dramatically from the lower platform provided.

How does their coaming compare to the Aires/Quickboost Flanker B coaming? Or the kit Flanker B coaming?

My windscreen is wider at the front than the kit part so there may be some extra space around their coaming if they made it too narrow.

Chris,

Let me know if this helps.

coamings.jpg

I'd like to think that those who care about accuracy enough to use your canopy will likely use the Wolfpack cockpit too. So I guess it's pretty important to have them compatible with each other. If you prefer, I can send you my Wolfpack set so you can use it as a reference.

Cheers,

Terry

I'd like to think that those who care about accuracy enough to use your canopy will likely use the Wolfpack cockpit too. So I guess it's pretty important to have them compatible with each other. If you prefer, I can send you my Wolfpack set so you can use it as a reference.
Thanks for posting the pics Terry!

Have you tried fitting the pit yet? If so, how well does it fit?

I'd love to see pics of the rest of the parts if you can post them.

I'm considering getting one for myself but am hesitant since I haven't seen anything but the tiny pics on the WP site.

I scaled the pic you posted and here is the result:

Coamings.jpg

The Aires coaming looks to be the most correct above the IP area. Both the Trump and the Wolfpack appear a bit too narrow as they were designed to fit the kit windscreen.

The forward canvas area is a bit off on all of them. The defogging ducts should be right along the edge where the glass meets the frame and the canvas between should be wider.

So,,, None are completely accurate with the corrected canopy but the Wolfpack parts will fit and will probably look good. There might just be a little extra room on either side of the windscreen frame.

If it were possible to combine the Aires(Quickboost offers just the coaming and IP) with the rest of the Wolfpack pit, that might be the best answer.

I appreciate your offering to send me the parts but I'll pass.

There is no way for me to modify my windscreen to fit the slightly narrow WP coaming and still maintain the corrected shape.

Thanks for posting the pics Terry!

Have you tried fitting the pit yet? If so, how well does it fit?

I'd love to see pics of the rest of the parts if you can post them.

I'm considering getting one for myself but am hesitant since I haven't seen anything but the tiny pics on the WP site.

Chris,

Here are the pics:

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=233862

Cheers,

Terry

• 2 months later...
so now where do we stand on this UB conopy

just bought the G version

can not wait too long for a combo order for the beast :P

Sorry Ghostkiller,

I had the canopy patterns and parts on my workbench ready to re-start as soon as I had the Dual Aphid Launch Rails finished.

Orders slowed to a crawl and I made a business decision to do the F-14 intake correction next anticipating that it will be a much better seller than the canopies.

They are still on my list but if you are anxious to start your build please don't let me stop you. It might be a while...

:(

• 1 year later...

Sorry Ghostkiller,

I had the canopy patterns and parts on my workbench ready to re-start as soon as I had the Dual Aphid Launch Rails finished.

Orders slowed to a crawl and I made a business decision to do the F-14 intake correction next anticipating that it will be a much better seller than the canopies.

They are still on my list but if you are anxious to start your build please don't let me stop you. It might be a while...

:(/>

As the Rolling Stones sang: "Tihi-iime is on my side - yes it is..."....

That may be so, but my Trumpeter Su-27UB keeps singing to me:

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

So, although the F-14 intakes aren't yet released, do you have an idea when the UB-canopy will hit the shelves?

Cheers,

Erik.

So, although the F-14 intakes aren't yet released, do you have an idea when the UB-canopy will hit the shelves?

Quoting myself from the MiG-19 canopy (request) thread:

With all of the problems I have been having with vacuumformed clear parts I'm not anxious to do any new canopy sets. If I do, there are many on my list that would be more popular items than the MiG-17 canopy.

While I'm not going to take the MiG-17 canopy off of my list, I'll spare you and the collective modeling world and just say no, I won't be doing one.

Though I am determined to some day release the family Flanker canopies, there are other products on my list that will be much more profitable and not such a huge pain to manufacture/produce.

If I had a better method for making the vacuumformed parts that didn't result in a HUGE reject rate I'd be more inclined to finish the project (as well as undertake a bunch of other canopy projects).

Sorry, but for now it will remain 'shelved'...

Just ordered some MiG-23 and MiG-29 stuff from you, so I have enough to do in the future!

Thank you so much for the big order Erik!!!

Packages(2) sent yesterday.

I also sent you a partial refund for combined shipping.

Anybody wanting to order more than one item, please e-mail me a list rather than just ordering through my website. I'll then e-mail you a custom Paypal invoice with discounted/combined S&H for you to place your order.