Can anyone tell me if this is even close to real?

Link

Was/is the Typhoon planned to carry the JDAM?

jb

Hi,

From a purely UK point of view we don't have any of the JDAM variants in our inventory so unless there's plans to acquire the weapon in the future it's a no. I'm also pretty sure both BL755 and Sky Flash have been retired from use quite recently as well.

Gary

Maybe some `in the know` will clarify, but I`m pretty sure The RAF won`t use JDAM as Enhanced Paveway 2 and 3 both have GPS capability. As for other users of Typhoon I`m sure Fouga`s correct, why not? The Typhoon is designed, like Tornado before it, to adapt to the particular requirements of the participating nations and export market.

Cheers, Ian

Short answer yes, long answer no.

Short answer: yes, pretty much anything on that list should be carryable by the Eurofighter, either directly or with minor software updates. In fact, the most unlikely items are actually the Penguin and Harpoon, IMO, for weight/geometry/adapter rail reasons. Not to say they COULDN'T (the F-16 can haul the Harpoon), just that of that list, they seem the least likely.

Long answer: you can strap just about anything (including the kitchen sink) to a weapons pylon. Doesn't mean that anyone actually WILL. BVRAAM, for instance, is a long-dead programme (as BVRAAM - it was split and evolved into Meteor). Sky Flash and Aspide are retired, IIRC. BL-755 is out of service with the RAF, and pretty much gone from the Luftwaffe - I wouldn't be surprised if the time/money was never spent trying to integrate it. Some would be user-specific. The UK doesn't operate JDAM. Germany does, so likely uses it on their jets (ditto Italy). Storm Shadow/Taurus/DWS-39 are again user-specific - different stand off munitions that do essentially the same thing. Ditto AIM-9 vs. ASRAAM vs. IRIS-T, and Meteor vs. AMRAAM. Germany, Spain, Austria and Italy all have IRIS-T... but not the RAF. And some of that will eventually be integrated, but hasn't yet, as other aircraft can do the same job. ALARM/HARM/Brimstone would all be user-specific, though I don't think any have been integrated as yet - everyone's still using their Tornadoes for SEAD/DEAD. It's still primarily an air defence fighter at the moment, certainly in application if not in capabilities and training. It *will* carry Brimstone eventually, but hasn't yet, as that's tasked to Tornadoes in the RAF. Ditto the glide bombs - I don't know how much work has been done to integrate them; it will carry Storm Shadow in the future, it may be able to use the weapon now, and RAF pilots may even dedicate some training to using the weapon... but in practice the platform is still geared more towards air to air, so it's unlikely you'd see that weapon on the jet, and certainly unlikely to be seen operationally.