Whif: 1/72 MH-101 Merlin Marineflieger, German Navy

Welcome to my current what-if project.

When the German Navy realized that the NH-90 would take too long and cost too much until it would enter service, it decided to drastically change it´s helo-fleet. To afford the buy and maintenance of the MH-101, it sold all of it´s 21 Seakings and 22 Sea Lynx. With only one type of helo left, it was clear that this one had to become a jack-of-all-trades to fulfill all the roles the German Navy needed:

Anti-Surface Warfare (formely supported by the Lynx)

Anti-Submarine Warfare (Lynx)

Boarding Ops (Lynx, Seaking)

Frigate Support (Lynx)

SAR (Seaking)

MedEvac (Seaking)

Transport (Seaking)

SOF-Support (Seaking)

The bigger size of the Merlin also meant that the older frigates of the Types F-122 and F-123 had to abandon their helo-capacity (it would be too large to fit in the hangar), while the F-124 had to change their hanger-entrance to deal with the MH-101. (on a sitenote: The F-124 even has to change their hangar-doors to support NH-90 Operations!

MH101a.jpg

The MH-101 Merlin is now capable to fulfill all the above mentionend roles, and can be seen here in a ASW/ASuW-configuration with Torpedos and Sea Skua-missiles.

MH101c.jpg

A FLIR has been added unter the right nose-section to enable the Merlin for SAR and Recon-Ops in bad weather/night.

MH101b.jpg

OK, serious: IF the German Navy would really do this, I´d really start worrying about the mental health of every officer in their staff. The helo is far too big, even the NH-90 would not fit on the older Frigates F-122 and F-123. And sending those ships out without helo would limit their capabilities a lot. But it´s a neat WHIF however. :)

HAJO

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, no pictures from the building process, but the result:

MH101f.jpg

MH101e.jpg

MH101d.jpg

MH101j.jpg

The left side is my favorite, I copied the style of camoflage that can be seen on the Marineflieger Seakings. So the camospots are quite "big" and the pattern itself is quite clear.

MH101g.jpg

MH101h.jpg

MH101i.jpg

Decals are all out of my spare-box, I also looked it up and found that the 66+ numbers in the german armed forces have not been reserved or used so far for aircraft.

HAJO