OK, I don't know how well I'll end up explaining this, but here goes:

My question is this. Once I put the intakes on and mask off the duct openings so I can airbrush the fuselage, will I be able to touch up with a regular brush around the areas that I might have missed with the airbrush (or may have been covered with the masking) without it looking like 2 different shades of Light Ghost Gray?

It's pretty hard to match things up when you touch-up with a brush. Just spend the extra time preparing to paint it properly and you won't need to worry about touch-up with a brush. ;)

Mike

Pukindog hit the nail right on the head. About a year ago I was painting the black tails on my Tomcat, when I inverted the airbrush, and yes, it was a gravity feed and all the black paint poured over my nice fresh ghost grey fuselage. I almost took the whole model and thru it into the wall. But you know what, when i painted over it, what an awesome preshade! Then, I was talkin to a guy from the Navy who had carrier duty and he told me that these things are patched up all the time...

Good luck.

EJ

:) Thanks to each and every one of you for the help. I never really thought of the two shades creating a weathered look - that could be sweet. This is my first attempt at making a filthy bird with preshading, weathering, patch-up jobs and all that crap. :D

when I inverted the airbrush, and yes, it was a gravity feed and all the black paint poured over my nice fresh ghost grey fuselage.

This is why I never recommend gravity feed airbrushes. True, some of them do have a lid for the color cup, but IMO, you can get just as good of a finish with a side feed airbrush. This is one of the reasons why I love the Aztek, but there are other manufacturers out there who offer side feeds, including the Omni 6000, which, from what I'm told, is a great airbrush.

Even with the Aztek, you have to be careful - the larger color cups have a hole in the the top of the lid. Always keep that color cup as close to parallel with the ground as you can - sometimes, gravity can be a terrible thing. :rolleyes: