Italeri 1/48 AH-1T slick nose

Mason looking good. sorry i haven't been able to see this more. i've been on a photographic vacation in the yucatan taking photos of mayan ruins. it looks great! hopefully i'll be home tomorrow night and will be able to start the next build.

semper fi

Dan

Mason looking good. sorry i haven't been able to see this more. i've been on a photographic vacation in the yucatan taking photos of mayan ruins. it looks great! hopefully i'll be home tomorrow night and will be able to start the next build.

semper fi

Dan

I'd give you a hard time, but I am heading to Hawaii on Thursday. :lol: :rolleyes:

Post pics Dan.

mason

• 2 weeks later...

Back from vacation, and finally working on the model.

First test fit of the nose. I cast the Fujimi nose and it is pretty close. I had to take a bit off of the bottom and it is a touch wide, but looks good.

IMG_5242.jpg

IMG_5243.jpg

Got some more work done on the wing pylons, thank you Randy for the awesome tech drawings!!

IMG_5246.jpg

Placed rings on the tips of the skids, they're a little big, but unless I find something smaller, they'll do.

IMG_5247.jpg

mason

yes yes yes!! nice Mason. not gonna post pics of my trip to the yucatan as i have 3700 and it's taking me forever to cull them down. i have however started posting some on Facebook. find me if you are on there and then you can see them.

semper fi

Dan Macal

Edited by marine4 ever
yes yes yes!! nice Mason. not gonna post pics of my trip to the yucatan as i have 3700 and it's taking me forever to cull them down. i have however started posting some on Facebook. find me if you are on there and then you can see them.

semper fi

Dan Macal

I managed to get 1600 in Hawaii, I'm going through them now. I'll look you up on Facebook.

Thanks for the comments guys, I am happy that things are coming together.

Quick question, I am painting the cockpit Med Gray because the pics I have of the A/C show a gray cockpit and the when the pics were taken 79/80, I don't believe Dad was using NVGs. The question is the knob and instrument colors. I am planning on painting the instrument panels gray with the actual instrument faces black, but what about the knobs? Dan, on your build you had a few white/light gray knobs, would they have been the same on a gray cockpit? Would they have been black for contrast?

mason

I managed to get 1600 in Hawaii, I'm going through them now. I'll look you up on Facebook.

Thanks for the comments guys, I am happy that things are coming together.

Quick question, I am painting the cockpit Med Gray because the pics I have of the A/C show a gray cockpit and the when the pics were taken 79/80, I don't believe Dad was using NVGs. The question is the knob and instrument colors. I am planning on painting the instrument panels gray with the actual instrument faces black, but what about the knobs? Dan, on your build you had a few white/light gray knobs, would they have been the same on a gray cockpit? Would they have been black for contrast?

mason

Mason,

The actual instrument panels were black, as were the glare shields and boxes that go in the side consoles. The only thing that was painted gray was the sheet metal (sidewalls, floor, firewalls, etc) and the seats and armor. Everything else was black except some small exceptions. Notably the knobs on the attitude gyros were gray, the vents in the panels, a gray box to outline the engine six pack gauges, and probably a few other things I'm missing. Also some red switch covers. Most of these colors hold true for the G, J, T, and even W.

Look at the AH-1G, J, and T pictures on the CD. Here are a few. the first ones are Js, the last one a T - the T is from a later era so the items on the glarshield and some of the switches on the dash don't apply but the basic layout and colors should.

AH-1JHMT-303USMC19870051.jpg

AH-1JHMT-303USMC19870062.jpg

AH-1JHMT-303USMC19870075.jpg

AH-1JHMT-303USMC19870077.jpg

1230186.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Got some work done, fuselage is together and hope to have the nose on shortly. At least 90% of the re-rivetting is done. :thumbsup:

IMG_5255.jpg

IMG_5256.jpg

Zunis are getting there, I grabbed some warheads from a Has F-8, hope they are close to Willie Pete size.

IMG_5257.jpg

Stub wings are coming along, need to add the inside hardpoints, after I figure out how to wire them.

IMG_5258.jpg

20mm canon is coming along. Still need to paint a bit and the barrels still need work.

IMG_5259.jpg

IMG_5260.jpg

Probably will not finish by deadline, but shouldn't take long. Thanks for looking.

mason

Sweet!! :thumbsup:

Coming along very nice.

You sure make the riveting tool turn out a good buy!

Unfortunately, my rivetting tool stash is almost as big as my model stash. The last one I got was a problem, if I wasn't careful it went from riveter to scriber. :bandhead2: I am now trying the Rivet-R tool, here and I really like this one. I am using the Fiskars finger handle and it is working pretty well. However, my next several models will be OOB, with no rivetting. :wacko:

mason

Very nice man. Im trying to decide if I wanna cram a cobra in before the deadline, but I dont think Im going to, since Im trying to track down the Whiskey's in the Mix TwoBobs sheet so I can use up the paint I have for another desert bird.

Thanks a lot for the comments guys.

Mason you Da man! you and your rivet fetish!!!!!! sheeesh :rolleyes: looking good mate!

semper fi

Dan

It's not a problem, I can stop anytime I want to. Does anyone know where I can score some rivetting tools, come on help a brother out... :salute:

Anyway back to our regularly scheduled program. Got the nose on.

IMG_5261.jpg

IMG_5263.jpg

I am glad that I cast the Fujimi nose, because it is too shark-like, and I had to shape it a bit, if I had used the J nose OOB, I would be short plastic. the reshaping is done, it's better, but not perfect. I was afraid of going Michael Jackson on the dang thing.

IMG_5301.jpg

I also got the stub wings on.

IMG_5300.jpg

Got her temporarily on her feet. Almost looks like a snake.

IMG_5295.jpg

Thanks for looking.

mason

If I ever get crazy enough to rivet one of my subjects, I'm comin' to you for advice & tool setups, man!

Can I start you out with DON"T DO IT, RUN AWAY! :rolleyes: I tend to get a little wiggy after doing it for very long, but if you have any questions, let me know.

mason

And I'm iffy on whether the hand rails should be mounted on the sides of the engine cowlings like they are.... I haven't seen any like that before.

Maybe a tad overscale, but most AH-1T pics show the hand holds fitted:

DN-SN-82-07808.jpg

Kind of hard to see them here, because they are pretty small.

The model is looking really great-- I've always thought the model-T was the most noble-looking of the Cobra line. :thumbsup:

Maybe a tad overscale, but most AH-1T pics show the hand holds fitted:

Kind of hard to see them here, because they are pretty small.

The model is looking really great-- I've always thought the model-T was the most noble-looking of the Cobra line. :cheers:

Andy & Joseph

To be honest, I don't like the kit hand rails. They are way out of scale, so off they come. I'll make some new smaller ones. Thanks for your comments guys.

Are the tie-down rings part of a PE set, or homemade? I like em.

Those come from one of my wife's scrap booking sites, LINK. She bought a grab bag and I have found a use for the odds and ends. There ended up being a bunch of those rings, I also used them on the skids. They are a touch big, but they don't look bad.

Thanks again,

mason

More work, replaced handholds and made new foot pegs to replace the planks that Italeri gives you. I had pretty good placement refs for the right side, but not much for the left side, so I hope I am close.

IMG_5311.jpg

IMG_5313.jpg

Worked a bit on the tail rotor. I'm going to work on it a little more, but it is looking better.

IMG_5316.jpg

Almost ready to finish off the pit, put the canopy on, and into the paint barn. :thumbsup:

Thanks for looking.

mason