It's update time!

This is very nearly finished now, really just a flat coat to go and I can call it done. I'm a little bummed about these pictures because they don't really do justice to the weathering I've done, especially the wash which the camera simply.. er.. washes out.

So while it looks lightly weathered here, in person it looks pretty gnarly and beat up! Just what I was looking for, really. I'm kinda psyched!

First wash:

FirstWash1.jpg

After some other weathering was applied and the guns installed:

Weathered3.jpg

Weathered2.jpg

really kinda like that view across the rear surfaces.

Weathered1.jpg

It might get a flat coat tonight.

Edited by RookieLSP
  • 5 weeks later...

RookieLSP,

Your raider looks great. I’ve always loved this ship and like to see what others do to personalize the design. I just signed up at this forum and it looks like there’s a lot of excellent work here. I’ve mostly been posting at the Resin Illuminati board where I documented the old version of the Monogram raider I did last year. I took some liberties with it as well and made quite a few changes in the details. Here’s a link to mine.

The build-up thread: http://www.resinilluminati.com/showthread.php?t=2577

The finished photo thread: http://www.resinilluminati.com/showthread.php?t=3812

-Doug

• 11 months later...

I built one of these when the show first came out (with the spring launched torpedos and all!) Recently I bought the 30th Aniversary Cylon Raider in order to test a lighting kit schematic I came up with that totally negates the use of a circuit board. All the lighting kits out there require you to build your lighting kits around a circuit board. However, some models just dont have the space to hide a board in. I used 6 5mm LEDSs. The front holes that use to have the Torpedos I set with 1 white LED each. I combined a white and a blue LED for each engine. When it was complete it looked absolutely stunning lit up. Just be very careful to make sure all LEDs work before joining the top and the bottom.

RookieLSP,

You've really brought your Raider to life with the extra attention to detail. Excellent work!!! :cop:

BTW......if you look at the detail on the top of the hull, you'll see wheels from a tank model of some sort. The original studio models used some bits and pieces from model kits to add detail.

RookieLSP,

You've really brought your Raider to life with the extra attention to detail. Excellent work!!! :cop:

BTW......if you look at the detail on the top of the hull, you'll see wheels from a tank model of some sort. The original studio models used some bits and pieces from model kits to add detail.

Actually, a lot of tank pieces! A Tiger tank I was told. You can find tank treads, tank gun barrels, wheels, etc. Cylons love to recycle...

• 3 weeks later...
Really awesome work! I really liked the way you used light and dark grays all around and a few black splotches that look like blast hits. What did you use for them?

I used the Tamiya Weathering Master stuff for the blast marks. They're kinda like eye-makeup if you haven't seen them before. Really easy to use!