Italeri 1/48 UH-1D fire supression test bird

Well just to prove I have been doing SOMETHING on this bird. Here are some pics of the nearly completed hoist. Now I have to paint all those tiny friggin wires! I really like how the hoist control turned out. I also put the ceiling on the cabin. I have been working on the fuselage halves as well, but nothing noteworthy just yet. I am going to try to do my best to get her done on time, especially since I have learned Joseph has her markings on the way!

Ray

PICT9996.jpg

PICT9997.jpg

PICT9998.jpg

PICT9999.jpg

Well just to prove I have been doing SOMETHING on this bird. Here are some pics of the nearly completed hoist. Now I have to paint all those tiny friggin wires! I really like how the hoist control turned out. I also put the ceiling on the cabin. I have been working on the fuselage halves as well, but nothing noteworthy just yet. I am going to try to do my best to get her done on time, especially since I have learned Joseph has her markings on the way!

Ray

PICT9996.jpg

PICT9997.jpg

PICT9998.jpg

PICT9999.jpg

Ray,

Love your hoist.

Great scratch work!

I also have my doubts about finishing my "OOB build" on time. Please keep going.

Cheers,

Giles

Thanks for the kind words guys. I finished the hoist tonight. Here it is sitting in it approximate position in the cabin. I realize now that the cable reel is too large, but I ain't changing it at this stage! Probably going to do a little touch up painting and maybe a semi gloss coat and the hoist will be done. On to the fire suppression kit and closing up the fuselage.

Ray

PICT4055.jpg

Thanks guys! I'm definitely the FNG here, but you guys have inspired me to at least give this whole scratchbuilding thing a go (John, your KW is off the chart and Mason your AH-1T is incredible). While I have to say that it is rewarding to make a one-of-a-kind part, I would suggest that others with my level of experience (basically none) try a little more OOB build first! I have been working on the fire suppression system tonight. Hopefully. I'll have pics soon. I'm headed to Rucker tomorrow for a little more inspiration!

Ray

i said it since the first post!

Am gonna love this build!

ps

Ray we need to talk about some Huey pictures. :D

soon i will resive 4, 1/48 Huey's i think i will need your help with some picture

Charles,

Thanks for the compliment. I have really enjoyed watching you build what is it 4 Hueys while I try to get this one finished! As for pictures, after tomorrow I hope to have enough pictures to keep even you happy, my friend! Stay tuned.

Ray

Edited by rotorwash
  • 2 weeks later...

It ain't perfect, but it's done! Yeah, I know I know I need to give her a wash to pop the details, but the semi gloss coat isn't dry yet. Hopefully, I can do that and finish the fire suppression system tomorrow. Anyway, at least I'm glad I didn't quit. It ain't over till it's over! Comments, criticisms and suggestions welcome. Thanks for all the support on this one guys. Would have probably stopped a while back without all the encouragement.

Ray

FinishedHuey1.jpg

FinishedHuey2.jpg

I am FINISHED!! Finally, I have completed a project. This was my first 1/48 build and my second Huey. Learned a lot and found out I still have a lot to learn. Final tally: scratchbuilt hoist and fire suppression system, misc Eduard PE, kitbashed tool chest in cabin, rebuilt rotor linkages from wire as the kit parts didn't reach the stabilizer bar. I also gave her a final wash to help bring out some highlights (Sorry Mason, I liked her clean as well, but it's a Huey after all!). Highlights don't show up as well in daylight, but I like natural light for photos. Decals were made by Joseph at Fireball and they ROCK! Thanks again Joseph for the excellent decals. They make even my amateur efforts look pretty good. Finally, thanks again to everyone in the Group Build. this has been an awesome experience and i have seen some masters at work here. It is an honor to be a part of such a great group. Gonna go put this baby in the Fished build thread and take a break for a while. Happy New Year everybody!!!

Ray

PICT0565.jpg

PICT0567.jpg

PICT0568.jpg

PICT0566.jpg