Painting with nitro based colours

I have the following problem. I am not sure if it is called nitro based colour at all. I have a colour that is used for painting cars, and this colour melts styrene. I am building a model of a MAN XXL truck for a neighbour who has a transport company and has 25 of this monsters. I have the original colour he uses for the trucks and I'd like to apply it on my model.

Since the original colour is hazardous to use on the plastic, I thought of applying a coat of Future first, to protect the plastic.

Anyone has any similar experiences?

I've had this experience....and it's awful. I would reccommend instead finding/mixing a color match in a paint that is suitable for plastic. What you have is a particularly aggressive laquer, sounds like and one of the problems is that it will not only craze the plastic, but will continue to react with the styrene during the course of it's lifetime.

That's one of the curious attributes to modern auto paints. They keep their shine longer because they continue to stay pliant for a longer time due to the solvents staying active.

In other words...."Dry paint" on a car is not neccesarily the actual case. It has "cured" but that means the vehicle used to keep it sprayable is gone. The solvents that live in the paint remain active for years.

These solvents attack styrene very aggressively and will continue to "melt" the model over time.....

See if you can't get a good color sample and maybe someone with paint expertise can help you mix a color.

air