Tomcat Nation let your voice be heard

I vote for a whole new 1/32 Tomcat with option for A/B/D and Flaps/Slats. I don't care if it will be Tamiya, Academy, or Hasegawa.

Mike

What about Trumpeter? :thumbsup:

I think the most likely thing to see Tamiya do in 1/48 is an F-22, F-14, F-15. Maybe an F-4 but with the Eduard F-4 coming, I'm not sure they'd get on it but with the JASDF flying F-4, F-15, I can't believe they haven't done those. I doubt Tamiya will ever re-tool the 1/32 Tomcat. Maybe, and I'm thinking it's a big long shot, they might add parts for B or D options. Personally I think the time is right for a new 1/48 F-14. :thumbsup:

-brian

How about a new pair of Sabres....F-86A and F-86E.

Shot down a 'ell of alot mor eMigs than the ol Tomcat ever did and there are no modern kits of this Mig Killer supreme anywhere - as opposed to the beloved Tomcat.

Oh yeah even the Luftwaffe flew some, can't say that about the Tomcat (or Viper for that matter)

Matt

What about Trumpeter? :touche:

I think the most likely thing to see Tamiya do in 1/48 is an F-22, F-14, F-15. Maybe an F-4 but with the Eduard F-4 coming, I'm not sure they'd get on it but with the JASDF flying F-4, F-15, I can't believe they haven't done those. I doubt Tamiya will ever re-tool the 1/32 Tomcat. Maybe, and I'm thinking it's a big long shot, they might add parts for B or D options. Personally I think the time is right for a new 1/48 F-14. :shoot:

-brian

Oh yeah, can't forget out Trumpy. You know I wouldn't be surprise if they do come out with one because the about of 1/32 kits they are putting out is unreal.

yeah...I don't see Tamiya ever retooling the 32nd F-14. It's like the Revellogram F-14. It's made them so much money and continues to sell enough units in it's current state, why put more work into the tooling?

Edited by paul.nortness
  • 1 year later...

Let's get the ball rolling again, looks like Tamiya wants feedback from us.

http://www.tamiyausa.com/survey/index.php?...652〈=en

Plus, there is a coupon code for their website.

"This Coupon is good for one use

This code will give you a 25% discount on all products except,

Not valid on (42135 and Scratch and Dent Items)

Only Valid on TamiyaUSA.com"

Well, I did my part.

Brad :bandhead2:

Well, I did my part.

Brad :bandhead2:

Wishful thinking guys. The odds of Tamiya doing any 1/48 or 1/32 Soviet/Russian or British modern a/c are nil, zero, and zilch. Just ain't gonna happen. Even a 1/48 F-14 is pushing the odds. I'd LOVE to see them do it, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

J

Wishful thinking guys. The odds of Tamiya doing any 1/48 or 1/32 Soviet/Russian or British modern a/c are nil, zero, and zilch. Just ain't gonna happen. Even a 1/48 F-14 is pushing the odds. I'd LOVE to see them do it, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

J

They wanted to know what we wanted, so we told them. We can hope can't we.

Brad

The survey is under the Tokyo Hobby Show New Releases hyperlink on the left side of their website.

Nothing wrong about having Tamiya hear what the consumer wants, that's business not rocket science.

Edited by gtypecanare

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves. :wacko:

Most unlikely but this is what I asked for.

A new tool 1/32 or 1/48 F-14. However make it a base kit that does not have the engine shrouds+nozzles, no gun gas purge vents, no ECM bumps, no beavertail section, no rear wheels, no cockpit, no antennas, no stiffener plates, no weapons pylons/hardpoints and no weapons.

Tamiya can then make a complete suite of options that allow the modeler to decide if he/she would want to make their Tomcat as early as a 1973 VF-1 or VF-2 where there were no gun gas purge vents and a flat beavertail or any other A,B,or D configuration from then till 2006. Sure there would be some leftover parts but hey, those leftover parts could still be sold and used on older Tamiya kits, Revell, or Trumpeter. The fit may not always be perfect but with the right modeling skills, one could do it.

This way Tamiya could corner the complete market on the F-14 and the modeler could decide how accurate of a Tomcat he/she would want to make it, not the manufacturer.

As for decals, I mentioned it would be better served by the aftermarket crowd

Enough with the F-14's! Their is so many of them out there! We need more MiG's.

A new MiG-29 in 1/48 scale would be real nice. I hope Tamyia or Hasegawa does one

before the Chinese do, because we all know, I'm sorry too say, they will f#@* it up!

Brad

Tamiya can, and should do, a retooling of their 1/32 F-14. It is pretty sad when you compare it with Trumpeter's Cat. The value for the money is just not there anymore. The only reason trumpeter's F-14 didn't swamp Tamiya's version in sales is because of the bad economy. Not many of either are moving off the shelves, especially at $150 U.S. dollars a pop. So, this means that buying a 1/32 scale cat is a long term investment. Because of that , I am sorry to say I will never buy another Tamiya one.

If I could catch Mr. Tamiya in the elevator this would be my pitch for a new Cat:

F-14A/B/D Tomcat "Last cruise"

1)leave forward fuselage alone.

2)Retool upper & and lower main fuselage.

3)Make separate A & B/D engine fairings.

4)Include F-16 nozzles and full engine for static display only.

5) New intakes, with tunnels!

6)Keep the swing wing mechanism, great selling point over the trumpeter one.

7) Cockpit panel inserts! Keep original cockpit as a base to add detail parts to, along with new panels etc. (can be separate sprue tree)

8) A,B &D last cruise squadron decals. One of each? VF-211, VF-103. . .?

9) Weapons from F-15E

10) All exterior details and parts accounted for each version. Chin pods etc.

Slap it all together, DONE.

After I finished the door would open and security would come and drag me away as I plead, "please! Please! no more spitfires. No more WWII stuff! Just for a little while."

After I finished the door would open and security would come and drag me away as I plead, "please! Please! no more spitfires. No more WWII stuff! Just for a little while."

Seriously, Mr. T needs to separate business decisions from his own personal biases/interests.

An example: Tamiya had released a 1/35 scale BT-7 and has just recently announced a Finnish StuG III. Reason: He apparently went to Russia and Finland for holiday last year and took a liking to said tanks.

The product designers know what the market would like and can obviously pull off great things, but Mr. T needs to stop picking the projects for them.

Or someone could invite him to Northrop Grumman for his next holiday...

Edited by razgriz