Marine Corp AAVP7A Up gunned

This kit was a dream to build! Other then the tracks needing to be "welded" togather,there wasn't a single issue with this kit and I plan on getting another,maybe 2!

100_2029.jpg

I used pastels to weather it some. Not sure I care for it. In real person it looks more scraped up then weathered which looks pretty good to me.

100_2031.jpg

Newer turret version.

100_2033.jpg

The headlights are painted with a mix of silver,flat white and aluminum and to me looks like real glass.

100_2034.jpg

Bow plane opened.

100_2038.jpg

Old style turret.

100_2042.jpg

100_2040.jpg

The eyes and mouth decals are from the spares box. I added them for one reason...I like em!

100_2044.jpg

100_2046.jpg

100_2047.jpg

Comments welcomed. I also know there are no view ports in place. I was going to make some with plastic confetti but can't find any the correct size. I'm still thinking on how to make the view port "windows",if you have an idea, sing out!

Edited by Flyingfortress

Looks good....

You can paint them blue/green and then cover with future to give it shiny/glass look.

You can if you choose to add some exhaust weathering to oval stack in the middle.

Edited by Tank

Great job you did, I agree it an easy kit and loads of fun to do. With a few tweaks here and there you’ll have a lean mean USMC fighten machine. Will you be adding gear and equipment…

PM sent with some ideas.

Joe

The viewport glass should not slant outward to cover the entire opening. The glass part is just the flat area that you have covered with the confetti piece. For the viewports you can try first painting with a shiny metallic paint (metalizer aluminum would be my choice) then covering it with a clear paint, in this case Tamiya clear green is what I would use. This should give them a little more depth than just painting them and coating with gloss, though that method would be Ok. Also, if you do another one in the future, there are some tweeks you can make. An easy one is to add the weld seam around the hull, it should follow the joint line of the kit upper deck and lower hull. Also, under the drivers hatch, on the sponson that covers that track, you could add the tread plates (the small rectangles like those on the upper deck) The pattern is a row of 3 on bottom, with a row of 2 above, then a single on top, following the shape of the sponson.The tracks could use some weathering as well. The AAV's tracks rust pretty readily after bing exposed to salt water. I would add a drop of future or clear gloss over the light as well. Back in the day I sometimes used clear epoxy for this purpose. You could also add glass to the opening of the turrets large forward facing periscope on the hatch, and the one in front of the commanders hatch.

HTH

Jason

EDIT

That green confetti looks good for the glass areas.

Edited by jburch