greetings all - i have just this evening stumbled on this fantastic forum!!!

i am by no means as accomplished as most of the modellers i see posting here ... but i do enjoy working in 1/32 scale

(and i am all over the map when i do - just finished some 1/32 ww1 kits, matchbox venom, b105 heli etc etc)

one of my favourite planes of all time is the infamous blackbird ... and since all my stuff is in 1/32 i've decided to scratch it at that scale

i bought a revell 1/72 kit for reference as well as the 'in action' and 'walk around' books - and i have scaled up the 3 view to 3/8"=1' (1/32)

now that i have found this forum i figured i had better ask first - has anyone already done the blackbird in 1/32 ???

any info much appreciated - regards, Ron

DSCN2543.jpg

Edited by manitouguy

Man I wish there was a 1/32 Blackbird...

However, that aside, for something that big, I would definitely start in subassemblies (wings, engine pods, tails, fuselage, etc small parts). Then, you can tweak whatever you need to before the problem gets to be out of control.

Also...question: Where did you get those drawings? :thumbsup:

drawings are from the book shown - i scanned the drawings and took them into a cad program then scaled them appropriately and printed them out at proper size for 1/32

i am an architect - working in scale is the easy part ... now the scratch building... agreed - will work on sub assemblies then bring it all together

am thinking of doing a master buck to be vac formed ... if i ever get that far

then others can enjoy too

but warning - i work at a snails pace - with many projects on the go at once

any how, will post as i progress - and will likely need lots of advice too! cheers, Ron

it will be large - just over 3' long if i recall ! yikes

drawings are from the book shown - i scanned the drawings and took them into a cad program then scaled them appropriately and printed them out at proper size for 1/32

i am an architect - working in scale is the easy part ... now the scratch building... agreed - will work on sub assemblies then bring it all together

am thinking of doing a master buck to be vac formed ... if i ever get that far

then others can enjoy too

but warning - i work at a snails pace - with many projects on the go at once

any how, will post as i progress - and will likely need lots of advice too! cheers, Ron

it will be large - just over 3' long if i recall ! yikes

hey if you ever get a vac kit made...:whistle:

looking forward to your progress, should be a fun build. good luck! :thumbsup:

Welcome, awsome and quite bold. Fore some reason your post made me feel better after reading the $70 F-22 thread. :thumbsup: Please take pictures of everything you build. I want to see what you do and learn from anything you do. We have alot of skilled people here so feel free to ask.

Curt

thanks curt - i will have lots of questions

a bit daunting but half the fun is diving in

modelling has provided me with many new skills and new knowledge experience as well

just started air-brushing about 6 months ago - incredible!

just getting into casting parts etc (i did a full ww1 pilot for my 1/32 hobby craft kits - he can slide in and out so i can have ground and in flight dioramas - now am going to play with 'cloning' him in jewellers wax - to see if i prefer over resin ... but that will be another post)

will keep you posted - Ron

To my knowledge, one 1/32 Blackbird display model has been done and as I recall it was done for the Smithsonian and was apparently on display at the Air & Space museum. I do not know who the modeler was and it was a one off. The only other Blackbird models approaching this size are probably Radio Control models, but a few of them have oversized wings to help with lift and to slow their flight speed down.

This is a very ambitious project to be certain and I would recommend acquiring a couple additional resources:

1/48 Testors SR-71 Blackbird

True Details cockpit set for SR-71 Blackbird

Reason I mention these is the ejection seats in the True Details kit are the most accurate of any of the seats out there, regardless of the medium used. The Testors kit also being a little larger and different from the Revell kit might also offer some additional details in larger size. Of the kits out there, it is considered to be the best of the lot.

I would also encourage looking over a real Blackbird if you get a chance and have one nearby. Studying the one near where I live revealed some minor details that none of the kits have caught (most of them being on the bottom of the plane). I probably won't add all of these to my current 1/72 build, but I probably will consider them for a 1/48 build. Pictures are one thing, but seeing the model in 3D does help to fit the puzzle pieces together.

I wish you luck. If you can pull this off, then you truely will have done something special.

First off

WELCOME!

our resident SR-71 and B-52 expert is Yardbird, hopefully he will drop in and see this post and say hello. He has tons of information on the SR-71. He worked on them for a few years if my memory is right.

BY the way, great blow up of the SR-71, I am jealous, those would look good on a hobbyroom wall!

again

WELCOME!!!! (and forever give up hope of returning to a normal hobby life, the ARC has sucked you in!)

Ric

thanks for the added info gents

i have access to a large format scanner - if i get around to it i will scan the blow up as a hi res pdf - then if anyone

else is interested in it as a poster or for a build i could email it to them

i am thinking of purchasing some re-mastered rc plans (formers and nacelle patterns) as a starting point too - to scale down

will keep you posted

Ron

If you haven't already discovered it, http://www.habu.org/ is a great reference site.

This site may also interest you:

http://www.mmrca.org/lance/index.html

Click on the link to "The Sled", then check out the dated updates posted on the left side.

You might also be interested in my 1/32 YF-23 scratchbuild:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....showtopic=89934

Wbnemos scrathbuilt 1/32 Firefox (though some of the pictures are now missing):

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....showtopic=54597

And Naza's scratchbuilt 1/32 Viggen:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....=148910&hl=

Welcome to ARC!

I'm looking forward to watching this one!

:)

Welcome to ARC Ron,

We are glad to have you here. It is true, once your sucked into this site the plastic modeling will have a whole an other meaning in your life...lol I'm thrilled to read about your 1/32 project. SR-71 is truly an awesome jet and "The Sexiest".......hands down!! It will be one of kind kit in 1/32. So, take a lot of photo because like many other, I'll be watching it very closely. Again welcome aboard and good luck.

Mike

Thanks Mike - it will likely move slowly but i will be sure to post progress as it happens - in just a few days of reading others posts i have already gained a bit of confidence and learnt alot (zacto has demystified the whole scribing panel lines process - now at least it seems like it may be doable! - and so many others also have great 'how to' tips as well).

I just purchased some re-mastered drawings of the sr 71 (originals drawn way back when from a chap in California? for a larger rc blackbird) - i likely paid way too much for them - i probably could have sourced them for free somewhere :thumbsup: but the seller is right here locally - and they definitely will help with the approach i am thinking of taking.

Will build it in components - it is a big bird - should be fun - and if it turns out OK i will definitely look into having someone assist in making copies for those interested (or maybe learn that side of things myself as well) - the best thing about this hobby is the sharing of course!

thanks again, Ron