Tamiya Dehavilland Mosquito B MK.IV

Ok, since the F-111 GB is coming to a close (I joined in towards the end unfortunately), I am going to build a Mosquito from the 105 SQ. These are the guys who flew the low level raid in Jan 1943 against the Berlin broadcasting station that pretty much ruined Gorings speech for the 10th anniversary of Nazi rule. I haven't seen the Tamiya kit yet (Sprue Bros will put her in the mail today), so I'm not sure yet what aftermarket details will be required (gotta read some reviews I guess).

105 SQ. RAF Horsham St Faith

Tamiya 1/48 Mosquito B MK.IV

Eduards accessories (PE and mask)

True Details wheels

Vallejo Air Acrylics

Hey there Bashace

I'm looking forward to seeing this one come together. I have the same kit in the stash!

Also quite keen to see what you think of the Vallejo paints! My local hobby store has started to stock them so I'll be watching with interest.

Cheers

Richard. :wave:

Jack/Richard,

the more I use the Vallejo paints the better I like them. The "Model Air" series are pre-thinned for airbrushing, just pour and shoot. I have masked using regular masking tape in as little as 15 minutes after shooting without any paint peeling off when removed. I have found some of their colors to be a little off spectrum, but a few drops of white or black brings them into the proper hue. As for the Mosquito, I ordered a decal set on ebay for the 105th Squadron and a couple of Verlinden detail sets (may only have to use bits and pieces of the kits). Since I'm in the Middle East, I won't get my goodies until next week (priority USPS), so that makes this Mosquito research week. Thanks for the interest, now back to finishing the F-111C (gotta clear the bench before the skeeter gets here).

Ron

Hey there Bashace

I'm looking forward to seeing this one come together. I have the same kit in the stash!

Also quite keen to see what you think of the Vallejo paints! My local hobby store has started to stock them so I'll be watching with interest.

Cheers

Richard. :thumbsup:

Feel like I'm slowly dying waiting for the Mosquito to arrive, since I work overseas, it takes a week to get stuff from Sprue Bros. Also have various aftermarket mods coming from all over the USA....sigh....maybe I can build a P-51 in the meantime.

Thanks Ted,

we all know Tamiya quality, so there is a good chance I will only use a few items from the aftermarket stash, just wanted to have them on hand just in case due to the amount of time it takes me to get stuff in the mail where I'm at. Hoping to nip into the first sprues this weekend, still researching what colors I need to get from the Vallejo-Air line to pull this off acurately?

Ron

We're off and running, figured I would get the first line of nitnoid stuff done. Sprayed the inside of nacelles, gear doors, aft nacelle Verlinden pieces, and wheel hubs with Future to smooth them out a little. Once the Future was dry, shot some Talon Acrylic NM Aluminum to give me that bare metal finish. Also assembled the bombs, bomb bay, and stabs just to get them out of the way for now.

DSC03056.jpg

Also started cleaning up the Verlinden resin pieces.

DSC03062.jpg

That's all for todays mossie work, still gotta finish up some details on that F-111C.

Placed an order with SprueBros for the Vallejo paints I will need for the camo.

As mentioned by RwKennard, I will not be using the Verlinden gun bay components, if anyone can use them in this GB I will mail them to you (no charge, just don't like to waste good stuff).

Ron