Williams Bros. 1/32 P-35 re-issue????

Last I heard Williams Bros. had gone the way of the doo doo. . .what's up with the re-issues? Somebody buy the company after all?

While I've heard some not-especially flattering reviews of the P-35 kit, I think it could make for an interesting challenge what with re-scribing and necessary upgrades to the cockpit. Squadron's sale price also looks attractive.

Comments?

:doh:

Old Blind Dog

Williams Bros. kits have never been considered as "Mainline", "Quickie" or "Shake & Bake". They do however provide a modeler with a basis to build models of aircraft that are generally overlooked by other manufacturers. This comes with a price though - they're made for modelers who have the time, the energy, the skills and the desire to have a model of a particular type of aircraft. They aren't easy to build (easier than a Vacuform though), in fact often frustrating. Which means that in today's "I want it NOW!" world they aren't for most modelers. But if you're willing to pay the price it takes, they can be turned into gems. And the current prices of them aren't that bad - If Hasagawa were to produce a 1/72 C-46, B-10 or 1/32 P-35 today, there is not doubt it would be a nice kit,but the price would probably be between 60 and 90 bucks. Which is just a little steep for me.

In terms of quality, I hear they're a bit of a trial to put together, but by far the best Gee Bee I've ever seen was built up from one of their kits, and I think I might have a go one day. Definitely worth it for skilled modellers after obscure subjects.

Williams Bros. kits have never been considered as "Mainline", "Quickie" or "Shake & Bake". They do however provide a modeler with a basis to build models of aircraft that are generally overlooked by other manufacturers. This comes with a price though - they're made for modelers who have the time, the energy, the skills and the desire to have a model of a particular type of aircraft. They aren't easy to build (easier than a Vacuform though), in fact often frustrating. Which means that in today's "I want it NOW!" world they aren't for most modelers. But if you're willing to pay the price it takes, they can be turned into gems. And the current prices of them aren't that bad - If Hasagawa were to produce a 1/72 C-46, B-10 or 1/32 P-35 today, there is not doubt it would be a nice kit,but the price would probably be between 60 and 90 bucks. Which is just a little steep for me.

Now...how about an aftermarket resin or PE cockpit set?!? The cockpit has *some* detail, but could greatly use some improvement.

:sunrevolves: Les (Friendly Airplane Asylum flack)

Hi, i just built a Williams Bros Caudron racer that i happened across the other day - i am by no means an experienced modeller and i must admit the Caudron went together very nicely with relative ease (of course i wasn't worried about super detailing it to historical accuracy) - i thought it was well detailed and the fit was very good too.

If anyone is interested i can post a couple of pics.

regards, Ron

caudron2.jpg

As i mentioned - nothing 'super detailed' but came together really nicely imo -

caudron3.jpg

caudron4.jpg

caudron7.jpg

this plane has beautiful lines - am i seeing the 30's art deco influence !? or pure form follows function ...

a surprisingly small plane but nice size in 1/32 scale

i've since taken pilot name off to leave it a more generic 'what if' -

caudron1.jpg

cheers, Ron

this plane has beautiful lines - am i seeing the 30's art deco influence !? or pure form follows function ...

I think a bit of both, all airplanes have form following function but the '30s Art Moderne, trains, the streamlined steam locomotives, some ships and cars as well as some aircraft, so stylish without messing up the function. Nice job!