And yet another pt boat

Hey, Bill - There can never be too many builds of this big monster! Looks great, so far!

I love all the little touches you've added, like interior detail (and pinups!), wear spots on the deck, and especially those life vests...if that's what you can do with a little milliput, I can't wait to see the rest of the figures!

When you mentioned some of your ideas for the rest of the crew, I immediately thought of this kit as a starting point for some conversions:

TAM35046.jpg

There is also a really informative build article on the Elco PT in issue #1 of 'Model X' magazine (sadly oop, but still available on the net).The builder (Jeff Herne) used some White Ensign guns, custom figures, and includes lots of historical notes & a few reference/detail photos of the real thing.

Please show some more as things progress!! I know this will be awesome! (*cough*

diorama *cough* :thumbsup: )

:pray: -Rob

thanks Rob. i think the bluriness of the pic of life vest is making them look much better than they really are. but still, it's much easier to sculp those, just some rectangles folded over with a rolled strip for the collar. poke it a few time with a tool to get some folds here and there and there ya have a vest. figures are a lot more tricky. if it's wrong it's very obvious cause let's face it, people see people all the time.

i will post as i go. it's kind of a stop start stop build like most everything i build. but this is getting closer to completion than anything else i'm working on.

as far as diorama. i thought about doing that, but it's such a big kit already, to put much of a base would just be too big for me to keep. so what i plan on doing is having the boat itself be sort of a mini-diorama (minirama?) my hope is there will enough little "scenes" through out the whole boat that the viewer will want to look around at everything. one scene i was thinking about lately was having a crewman in the full battle gear posing on a gun with a camera man taking his photo. perhaps to be a Life cover shot or something. that way i can use one of the italeri crew in their prestine uniform but not have it in battle. i think the contrast of everyone else just doing their thing while he's getting photographed is interesting.

anyway, thanks again.

Bill

Hey Bill,,

I have not been hee for a wee while and well I just glanced in and it has

turned out beautifully so far...Love the tiny detailing such as the Pin -up girls.

Nice touch !

Keep at it...will be back soon.. :banana:

HOLMES :salute:

When you mentioned some of your ideas for the rest of the crew, I immediately thought of this kit as a starting point for some conversions:

TAM35046.jpg

Hey Rob, when i first read your reply i was at work and the pic didn't show up so i didn't know what kit you were talking about. now that i see it i'm like "DUDE! why didn't i find this?" those guys are perfect for what i need. even if i just use their torsos. i have found it hard to find men without shirts on. (ok, that didn't sound like i meant it :thumbsup: ) seriously, i need to find that kit or someone that will be willing to get rid of the figures. even though tamiya figures aren't that great, it's better than me hacking away at it. Thanks for post that!

Bill

Glad you liked the suggestion, I thought of getting these guys for a (Vietnam era) gun truck build I've been working on for a while. Ebay & Hobby Lobby (& Tamiyausa) usually have this boxing, and also:

http://earlshobbyhangar.com/store/index.ph...roduct_id=42274

Hey, it's easier than buying aftermarket $$tuff, 'soft' detail or not! (although, some heads from Hornet models might help speed things up, scratchbuilding-wise...)

Also, if you really wanna 'go to town' on the figure thing, there's this - (third from bottom):

http://www.archertransfers.com/catFig.html

As a big fan of the old Shep Paine "diorama sheets" from 70's Monogram kits, I love ideas like what you're planning - I know it will be (and already is) interesting stuff!

- Rob

P.S. If you do end up getting the old Tamiya kit, I'll bet 'leftenant/sergeant maj.' w/the binoculars in the foreground on the boxtop art could lend some parts to your "photographer" figure. :)

• 5 months later...
hey I just picked this one after a while and I wondered did you post the finished PT Boat pictures anywhere else,

cuz I missed the whole thing.. B)

Curiously HOLMES :blink:

finished? you mean completion is a goal we're supposed to be aiming for? ;)

No, I haven't done much on this one lately. It's sitting on top of our bookcase in the office area and peers down at me with the look of an abused abadoned puppy. I keep telling it I will get to finishing it, but I just haven't had the inspiration. It's such a nice kit and the "vision" I have for it is something I don't want to force myself to finish. The major hurdle I need to work on are the figures so I've been playing with other projects requiring some figure work (like my apollo splashdown) trying to build the chops up. I think I may turn back to it soon though. Maybe if someones starts posting their builds of a PT that will light a fire under my rumpus and get me moving again on it.

• 2 months later...