Italeri Kiowa CAC32 Kiowa 1/48 scale

Just remembered I had put my name down for this GB, said I was going to do a Monogram UH1B as a RAN helo, well the huey has morphed into a Kiowa!!!

kiowabox-1.jpg

and the required sprue shots!!

kiowasprue1.jpg

kiowasprue2.jpg

As the kit is a bit of a jetranger/kiowa hybred, some mods will be required, so that it may better reflect an Aussie built kiowa, the major one being the engine cowling side vents.

here are the stock kit parts with the louvred cowlings, really only seen on Jetrangers and very early kiowas

kiowafuselage1.jpg

and one side with the correct pattern vents cut out, using photos as reference, they were drawn onto the cowling, chain drilled then opened up with needle files

kiowavent1.jpg

actually I mucked up a little with the placings of the holes as you can still see the remainders of some of the louvres, next will be the other side cowling and the cockpit

To Be continued

Regards

Bruce

got a bit more done today, vents have now all been opened out and backed with some brass mesh I had lying around

kiowamesh.jpg

cockpit has been started, first by opening up some lightening holes in the centre console, that are quite prominent in photos of the real machine I have, then some copper wire was twisted together to represent a wiring loom and passed through to a hole drilled in the underside of the instrument panel console, the bulkhead behind the pilots seats was skinned with thin plasticard to hide all the ejector pin marks and the otherside, central column and rear bulkhead faced with wine bottle foil that had been embossed with a diamond pattern to represent the sound proof quilting.

kiowacockpit2.jpg

this was doe by laying the foil over some diamond pattern plastruct sheet I had, then rubbing the foil with the handles from a pair of scissors until the pattern showed through. The foil was then glued to the bulkheads and trimmed to size. I'm off to drink the rest of the wine now!!!

Bruce

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for all the comments so far, got a bit more done on her, this week. first off cockpit painted and drybrushed. I also realized that you could see through the mesh that there was no engine so i crafted a deck for a bit of tube to sit on, It looks very rough I know, but the whole idea was to just give the idea that there is an engine behind the grills. I have several pics that show a orange pipe through the cowling mesh hence that detail added.

cockpit2.jpg

cockpit1.jpg

the doors were then added to the respective halves, nothing was a great fit,the gaps were filled with Mr Surfacer, the avionics/baggage bay door was a particularly poor fit requiring filling with gap filling super glue and then the door rescribed, I also scribed in the cooling louvres. Plastic strip was used to represent the intake slitter as the kit part was too short

kiowafuse.jpg

the fuselage halves were then joined

kiowafuselage2.jpg

and a MV lens added to represent the landing light in the nose

kiowalight.jpg

finally the top of the fin was cut down and squared off to better represent the kiowa fin

kiowafin.jpg

How'd I miss your update?! :worship:

It's proceeding very well. B)

Your engine mock up is very simple but very effective considering what you'll be able to see through the mesh!

final details added before it heads for the paint booth. Australian kiowas were unique in that the left hand rear door could also hinge rearwards to allow a stretcher to be carried, these hinges at the rear of the door were added from thin stips of card, the whip aerial has been added from piano wire and the HF antennas either side of the boom came from an old italeri huey kit, also from the huey kit and added under the nose is the ADF antenna housing. the rear section of the boom was cut off and replaced by clear sprue sanded to shape. As the Navy helos had the low skids the footsteps were removed but the mounting plates and stems remained

IMG_0014_0238.jpg

next up, its off to the paint shop, sorry about the poor quality pic

Bruce

• 2 weeks later...