Xkit Vautour IIA in 1/48th

Hi Bosse, brush painting is underrated. I think a nice brush job can look as good as airbrushing. If you spray on the final clear coat it eliminates the brush marks.

I agree with that. If I`m brush painting, I tend to brush in the direction of airflow (nose to tail), any imperfections can be lightly sanded, and after a clearcoat the effect looks like weathering.

When you are up close to a brand new jet, like an EF Typhoon, and see the utter state they are in, you realise that you can never have too much weathering. Even though seperated by 30 years, the Vatour and the Ra`am have one thing in common, they have gases and fluids distressing the paint job all over the airframe.

Bad for ground crew, good for modellers :thumbsup:

Your sixties scheme is the classic Vatour look Bosse, Nice one :worship:

Cheers, Ian

Hi Bosse, brush painting is underrated. I think a nice brush job can look as good as airbrushing. If you spray on the final clear coat it eliminates the brush marks.
He's only a "wee bit drunk now"? This sucker would cause anyone to fall off the sobriety wagon. Good to see that he's approaching the final stages. Can't wait to see it painted and decalled. Looking forward to this one on the shelf.
I agree with that. If I`m brush painting, I tend to brush in the direction of airflow (nose to tail), any imperfections can be lightly sanded, and after a clearcoat the effect looks like weathering.

When you are up close to a brand new jet, like an EF Typhoon, and see the utter state they are in, you realise that you can never have too much weathering. Even though seperated by 30 years, the Vatour and the Ra`am have one thing in common, they have gases and fluids distressing the paint job all over the airframe.

Bad for ground crew, good for modellers :thumbsup:

Your sixties scheme is the classic Vatour look Bosse, Nice one :worship:

Cheers, Ian

Thanks for the support Guys.

Best Regards

Bosse from Sweden

Hi again.

The Holiday Season is really upon us now...

In Sweden we celebrate the 4th of Advent today :thumbsup: ;) :santa::santa: , that's always the last sunday before Christmas.

I'm of work now for the Christmas Week so the wife and I did our Christmas (food) shoping yesterday and now we have a whole week of quality familytime with our three kids in front of us.

The family is in the sofa right now watching Mamma Mia on DVD and I'm right beside them working on The Vautour. (thats the main reason I work in the livingroom, to be with the family at the same time I'm working)

Well lets get on with the update.

I've put the second coat of the brown down.

20081221413.jpg

20081221414.jpg

As i've said before I prefer Xtracolour, but they have one huge disadvantage against Humbrol. They take forever to dry.

I can lay down one coat of each colour per day. And after the second coat you have to wait an extra day before you can lay down the third coat.

If you don't wait that extra day you risk lifting the first two coats.....

And since I felt for more work today, I did some painting on my Kurnass. (See the W.I.P thread)

Now I've started to work on the landing gear.

And I can say that this will perhaps be the thing that will make me miss the deadline.

They are really complex.

20081221417.jpg

20081221418.jpg

I've put the first two pieces together.

20081221419.jpg

20081221420.jpg

That's it for tonight, but no work for a week... :santa:

So maybe between all that Christmas food binging I could manage to get something done.

Best Regards

Bosse from Sweden

Bosse

I have just come across this thread and WOWZER...I am SO impressed with your build...

I see that you have tried to disgiuse the Frenchie like an Israeli...and you know what

It is STUNNING......... :yahoo::yahoo:

HOLMES :wave:

Edited by HOLMES
Bosse

I have just come across this thread and WOWZER...I am SO impressed with your build...

I see that you have tried to disgiuse the Frenchie like an Israeli...and you know what

It is STUNNING......... :yahoo::yahoo:

HOLMES :wave:

Thanks Holmes for your kind remarks.

Best Regards

Bosse from Sweden

What... a double update!!

I wasn't so sleepy so I did lay down the second blue coat on The Vautour just now.

20081222421.jpg

One of the reasons I couldn't get to sleep is that I cant figure out the layout of the landinggears.

Look here. I'm going insane.......

20081222422.jpg

I know that the most left parts is the outrigger landinggears.

And I know that the pieces in the middle of the right "bar" are a part of the outrigger, but where do they go?

20081222423.jpg

And which part on which outrigger ????? :thumbsup:

To bad Xkits doesn't come with an instruction, double :o :bandhead2:

I just thougt I was a head on this kit, and then IT comes right back at you and bites you in the neck. :doh:

Hhhhmmmm the season of firecracker is also around the corner......

Hold that Thougt!

Insert Thougt Police here :cop:

"Quiting Is No Option, and repeat that a 100 times, and go back to the table and solve the problem. You will not get a fresh Pint before!"

So now I'm of to trawl the net for some pics of the aforementioned undercarridge.

I would like to call it something completly else but I think my mother would object on my language..

Best Regards

Bosse from Sweden.

I'm not sure I understand what is going on either. Is that the only information the instructions give you?

Maybe this will help. The gear appears similar to that of a buccaneer, same style at least, perhaps you can study photos of that for some help? Or wheels up? :D

I'm not sure I understand what is going on either. Is that the only information the instructions give you?

Maybe this will help. The gear appears similar to that of a buccaneer, same style at least, perhaps you can study photos of that for some help? Or wheels up? :woot.gif:

Yes RKic

This is the instructions you are given.

20081224428.jpg

20081224429.jpg

A whole doublesided A-4 sheet, one side a diagram slightly indicating where everything goes, and the other side information on the aircraft and a paintscheme.

Not much to go on. I've been using about every online-walk-around/-build I can find. That's the main reason I've been drowing this thread in pics, hopefully someone will benefit from my struggle.

At least I will have something more for myself when I get around to build the N and the B versions.

Merry Christmas to you all :thumbsup:

Bosse from Sweden.

Seasons Greetings Everybody.

I hope that everyone has had a great Christmas.

Mine was fantastic. Lots of presents, lots of good food and drink.

Late mornings in bed, and it even came down some snow on Christmas Eve.

Between meals and family gatherings I been thinking of how to get those outrigger gears together.

And yesterday I found a site in french on the net, where some guys are restoring a Vatour II B.

Link: http://vautour-caea.11vm-serv.net/index.html

They had some kind of diary and lots of pics of what the have done. So I found some pics of the outriggers that help alot.

So here is what I've been doing this evening.

20081222423.jpg

20081226431.jpg

To get a stronger joint I drill and inserted a small piece of steelthread into the joint.

I took the wrong bottle of CA and did manage to glue all fingers on my left hand together :(

Thank God for Aceton. Memo to myself, don't use the light flowing stuff when you need the gel kind!

20081226433.jpg

And here they are glued together.

20081226434.jpg

20081226435.jpg

I did cut a bit to much on the part where the wheel goes so I had to fill the seam with a bit of sprue.

A few stroke with a jewellers file and the gap is almost invicible.

Now I just have to repeat this one time. And then both outriggers are done.

I've also done some more painting, the top colours are halfway done.

Some pics of that will perhaps be in the next update.

Thanks for looking

Best Regards

Bosse from Sweden

Hi,

I think it's great that soo many has taken time to watch my pics.

Thanks All.

Tonight I mostly worked on the Kurnass. But I did some work on The Vautour.

I did manage put the second outrigger gear together.

20081227437.jpg

Now the pair is completed.

The fuselage is almost finshed.

Just a layer more of blue and it's done.

20081227443.jpg

20081227444.jpg

20081227445.jpg

Thanks for watching and Best Regards

Bosse from Sweden

Hi, Welcome to the New Years Eve Update.

Today I've been doing some work on The Vautour.

The last layer of blue is done.

20081231447.jpg

I've also continued on the outriggers.

Here is the wheels.

20081231448.jpg

The wheels is made up of a tire in resin and two dics of photoetch to make up the rim.

I wonder if this will be a sufficient strong bond?

I've also painted the outrigger landinggear doors silver.

20081231452.jpg

The most part of the nacelles is in silver in on my choice of aircraft.

I've used Xtracolor X38 RAF High Speed Silver here. Brushpainted and it dries in minutes compared whit other Xtracolors!?!

Here's the nacelles.

20081231456.jpg

20081231457.jpg

That's just the first layer. At least a second layer is required.

Now the topside has to dry and hardend before I start on the lower gray.

But hopefully I'll be painting grey this coming weekend.

Thanks for looking and A Happy New Year.

Bosse from Sweden.

It's good to see that you've sorted out the landing gear. What color will the spine of the aircraft be in?

Hi RKic

The spine will be RAL 7044, same as the underside.

I've just layed down the first layer on the underside.

I'll update with more pics tomorrow.

Best Regards

Bosse from Sweden.

Midday update.

The spine is masked and the first layer of gray is down.

20090103458.jpg

The silverpaint on the nacelles is almost finished. Just a polish and mayby a third layer.

The underside has been painted twice now. But I'll require at least two more layer before it's finished.

20090103459.jpg

More to follow....

Best Regards

Bosse from Sweden

Hi, It's a cold day today here in part of the world -12C/10F so I stayed in and did some painting and detailwork on both my Kurnass and The Vautour.

The underside has had its last coat of paint and is laid to rest for the paint to harden. Decaling will begin this week. :worship:

The outriggers are painted and finished. It took quite some work of filing to get the pegs small enough for the wheels.

20090103464.jpg

20090104466.jpg

I've also painted the exhaust parts the the engines, not finished yet but coming along nicely.

The paint is Xtracolors "exploding" metallics. Oliy steel in the bottom, Burnt Iron for the insides and Gun Metal for the outer ring.

20090104465.jpg

I plan to decal the aircraft before I mount the four undercarriages. I'm afraid to knock them of if I do it the other way around.

Then I have to start on the canopy, It's a vac som I'm a bit afraid of that part. Thankfully two i provided in the kit should I screw the first attempt up.

More to follow....

Best Regards

Bosse from Sweden

Decals !!! ;)

The first one. Magen David

20090107471.jpg

And now it's not The Vautour anymore. It is now the IDF/AF Vautour #17 "The Panther" of the Knights of the North Squadron.

Complete with killmark and nametag.

20090107472.jpg

Squadron insignia.

20090107473.jpg

Magen David on the side.

20090107474.jpg

Left side.

20090107475.jpg

Right side.

20090107476.jpg

I just love Isradecals, I've never had any problems with them. They go on like a dream.

Perhaps I'll finish the underside tomorrow.

I've got some small painting left to do and the undercarriage and canopy to assemble, but now it feels like I'm going to meet the deadline.

I've still got three more weeks left, so it should not be an impossible task.

That's it for tonight.

Thanks for looking and welcome back for more.

Best Regards

Bosse from Sweden.

Well the Saga does contiue....

The underside has its Magen Davids.

20090110477.jpg

And the exhaust is in place.

20090110479.jpg

With macro and zoom you can really see all my misstakes.

That rim needs a touch-up....

20090110478.jpg

I've painted the gunports matt black.

20090110481.jpg

And I've also started on painting the canopy and the main undercarriage wheels.

20090110482.jpg

20090110484.jpg

That's it for tonight.

More will follow.......

Best Regards

Bosse from Sweden

Edited by Marlin

Hi and Welcome back.

The main undercarriages are in place now.

Front.

20090111485.jpg

20090111486.jpg

20090111487.jpg

Aft.

20090111490.jpg

I've tried and yes it can stand on them.

Next step, Paint the undercarriages and main wheels. Then mount the outrigger.

But that will be in next update.

Best Regards

Bosse from Sweden.