Xkit Vautour IIA in 1/48th

Evening All.

I've managed to do some small work on "The Panther" tonight.

The outriggers are mounted.

20090113491.jpg

I've also painted the mainwheels.

20090113492.jpg

Tomorrow I'll mount the PE "hubcaps" and paint them. And after that they are ready for the undercarriage.

I've also mounted the wingtanks on the pylons. But I've some difficulties on where exactly they are going to be on the wings. :woot.gif:

As usual the instructions isn't worth much... :rofl::deadhorse1: :D

20090113493.jpg

So now I'm off to see if I can find some good reference pics.

More updates will follow....

Best Regards

Bosse from Sweden

Not that you asked, but in my opinion, the pylons will spoil the lines of the aircraft. Unless they were permanent fixtures on this plane in real life, I would leave them off. Save yourself a headache too. It looks like you've had more than a fair amount with this build

Not that you asked, but in my opinion, the pylons will spoil the lines of the aircraft. Unless they were permanent fixtures on this plane in real life, I would leave them off. Save yourself a headache too. It looks like you've had more than a fair amount with this build

That's one thing I had not even thought of.

Hhhhmmmmm...

I've to think some time on this and consult Isra Six-Day War Vol A.

We'll see what the outcome will be.

Thanks for the tip anyway.

Best Regards

Bosse from Sweden

Hi again,

Welcome to this evenings update.

Major thing has happened here on my workdesk this evening.

First the wheels, with "hubcaps", are now on the mainlandinggears.

20090114494.jpg

It was kind of tricky getting them right. Since they are buldged and the aircraft sits at an angle to the ground I had to mount the one at a time with slow-drying CA gel.

20090114495.jpg

Here are all the wheels on and the "hubcaps" painted.

20090114496.jpg

(this is pic #200 in this build ! :yahoo: )

I've also added all the landinggear doors to "The Panther"

Aft Mainlandinggear.

20090114497.jpg

Front Mainlandinggear.

20090114498.jpg

Right Outrigger.

20090114499.jpg

Everyone together.

20090114500.jpg

Left Outrigger

20090114501.jpg

Left again, on its wheels

20090114502.jpg

Front on shot.

20090114503.jpg

All this wasn't hard at all. I would like to say that this session has been the easiest one of the all since I started this build.

All I now has left to do is, some touch-up painting, put the harness to the ejectorseat, mount the seat to the cockpit and add the canopy.

I think I will be able to do that in a fortnights time.

And then there is the question of droptanks or not. I can't decide, and the Jury is still in session........

I asked my family and got an even split 2 for and 2 against.

So I leave that descion to you.

You tell me, Droptanks or not ? (see beginning of this page) :)

So what will it be?

Thanks for watching and I'll be pleased to here your votes.

Best Regards

Bosse from Sweden

Edited by Marlin

For the time period you are depicting, the IAF's Vautours very regularly carried drop tanks and weapons. My advice/vote would be - add the drop tanks. Can't remember which ones are in the kit, but the ones I recall seeing (all my refs are currently packed up) were in a bright silver (looked the same as the ones used on the NMF Mirage IIIs in use).

Well Folks,

I had an accident this weekend.

Not with "The Panther" but with myself.

I was with my eldest son in our summer cottage this weekend and did manage to touch the woodstove when it had been burning for some hours.

I received a second degree burn in my left hand roughly 3 x 5 cm.

WARNING: Klick on your on risk: http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo275/M...20090120508.jpg

I didn't think I was going to be able to complete my build but what's a burned hand compared to this fun.

But I tried some building this evening and I wasn't that bad.

The seatbelts is on the seat now.

20090120509.jpg

And the seat is in the cockpit.

20090120510.jpg

I've also elected to mount the droptanks. If I had the time (and the dexterity in my hand) I would like to scratchbuild the outer weapons pylon also, but that will have to wait for either the N or the B version.

20090120511.jpg

20090120512.jpg

20090120514.jpg

Now it's almost finished. I have some small PE bits left and the canopy, but even with just one and a half hand I should be able to finish this in time.

That's it for now

More to follow.

Best Regards

Bosse from Sweden.

I gave up because of badly painted canopy framing, and here you are persisting not only through a challenging kit, but now with a burned hand! My goodness, you should win some kind of medal :thumbsup:

Great job

I gave up because of badly painted canopy framing, and here you are persisting not only through a challenging kit, but now with a burned hand! My goodness, you should win some kind of medal :lol:

Great job

Thanks RKic,

I really want to finish this one on time.

I've never participated in a GB before and I wanted to show my self that this kits is buildable in just three months.

And as i've said before. Quiting is no Option. :lol:

We'll see next week if I've managed the canopy. I've never used a vac canopy before.

Acutally I never built a short-run multi-media kit before, so this build is a lot of first for me and that's also a reason I want to finish it on time.

Best Regards

Bosse from Sweden

OK Gang, this is it !

I'm Done ! ;)

I'm not satisfied with the canopy. But it will have to do. (glue not dry yet)

20090126520.jpg

20090126521.jpg

20090126522.jpg

20090126523.jpg

So this ends my first; GB, Vautour, shortrun kit and vac canopy.

It's been quite a ride. I did a re-read of my whole thread and I had almost forgot the first month of sanding :D

I would like to thank you all for your support, I could not have finished this without it.

Now it's time to clean the desk for the Test / Evalutation & Agressor GB. I've got two IDF/AF F-16's planned for that one. :thumbsup:

See you around and thanks again.

Best Regards

Bosse from Sweden

Bosse,

Looks like the "honors" fall to me to be the first on your post-build thread. You really went above and beyond on this one man, and saw it through to the end. What with all you had to go through, you can be rightfully proud of your results. This is not a simple "shake and bake" kit, and your efforts really show. It has been a pleasure sharing your build, and I look forward to the next one as well. :thumbsup:

Edited by jeff briner
Bosse,

Looks like the "honors" fall to me to be the first on your post-build thread. You really went above and beyond on this one man, and saw it through to the end. What with all you had to go through, you can be rightfully proud of your results. This is not a simple "shake and bake" kit, and your efforts really show. It has been a pleasure sharing your build, and I look forward to the next one as well. :thumbsup:

Thanks Jeff

/Bosse

bosse, you did a fine job, but can I make a suggestion on how to make your good model great? Get a spray can of flat coat to even out your finish. The blue/green is much shinier than the other colors and really sticks out.

Other than that...well what else is there to say, you made this into a very high quality representation, and I'm happy that you shared the progress with all of us.

bosse, you did a fine job, but can I make a suggestion on how to make your good model great? Get a spray can of flat coat to even out your finish. The blue/green is much shinier than the other colors and really sticks out.

Other than that...well what else is there to say, you made this into a very high quality representation, and I'm happy that you shared the progress with all of us.

Thank's RKic,

I realised that myself after I've posted yesterday. :)

I've put a satincoat on it, I'll post some pics of it later tonight.

I've still got a few days left.

Best Regards

Bosse from Sweden

Much better with the flat coat. Smoothed out the blue and really looks like it was sprayed.

Yes it does, doesn't it.

Well it on to the next one.

Best Regards

Bosse from Sweden

Fantastic result Bosse!

Having followed your thread since the beginning I know the utter pig this kit has been for you to get up to the great standard you have achieved.

Nice one, well done mate! ;)

I`m looking forward to seeing more of your builds on ARC.

Cheers, Ian :thumbsup:

Fantastic result Bosse!

Having followed your thread since the beginning I know the utter pig this kit has been for you to get up to the great standard you have achieved.

Nice one, well done mate! :bandhead2:

I`m looking forward to seeing more of your builds on ARC.

Cheers, Ian :thumbsup:

Thanks Ian

/Bosse