Lavochkin La-7 1/48 scale

The best kit for me has to be the Gavia, because I've got one in my stash and I haven't got a Hobbycraft one :thumbsup:

Seriously, I believe it is actually the Gavia by a short margin - more accurate shape overall - others may well know more, or have other opinions, or both.

The Gavia one is miles ahead of the Academy on all areas except one. The left to right width of the fuselage along the spine directly behind the cockpit is significantly too narrow on the Gavia kit. It is an easy fix with a wedge of styrene and an aftermarket canopy.

And also right now if one doesn't care too much about the resin and PE the Eduard Weekend kit retails for around $15 or less, add the color zoom from Eduard and you'll have a nice build for around $25 or less. The Hobbycraft kit has not been really available for a decade or so. Maybe under the Academy box but still it'll cost more than the Weekender.

Decals should still be available from Aeromaster, seems the Russian ones never sold well except to me and there were about 5 'Fighting Lavochians' sheets for the Gavia/Eduard kit. Take a look at Squadron.

Here is a build from last week on the Weekend kit

http://www.modelingmadness.com/scotts/allies/ussr/la7.htm

Matt

Edited by Matt Roberts

The Hobbycraft kit is still available as an Academy rebox and it also has a nice resin pit available for it from True Details for under $10.00. Price of the Academy kit is only $18.00 retail, which is rather inexpensive for a 1/48 kit. Granted Eduard's weekend build version of the kit priced less then that, but those are discontinued last time I checked.

Edited by Jay Chladek