Are any of these available in 1:72?

Ok, having a browse through an old Janes (1940) a few aircraft pop out and say "make me". Before I take a massive step and even begin thinking about scratch building, I thought I would see if any are available and if anyone has experience of them?

DH95 "Hertfordshire" - RAF version of "Flamingo"

de%20havilland%20dh95%20flamingo%20and%20hertfordshire.jpg

Percival Q-6 - Fixed UC version of Percival Petrel as supplied to the RAF

Caproni Ca.113

Curtiss-Wright CW-21-B

Curtiss-wright_CW-21B.jpg

Ryan YO-51 Dragonfly

ryan-yo51.jpg

Vultee Vanguard 61

3035L-1.jpg

Rogojarsky Sim-XIV-H

4647L.jpg

Cheers all

Matt

Edited by MattC

Sword does (or did) the XP-66 Vanguard. It's the version with the standard cowl, not the one with the exended spinner in the photo you posted. I built it..typical limited run (flashy parts, resin cockpit, vac canopy) but nothing a reasonably experienced builder couldn't handle.

I think Rareplanes did a vacuform CW-21 a long time ago, but it'll probably be hard to find now.

Don't know about the rest.

SN

Cripes almighty I've never done a vac kit. I think I'd like to have a crack at one though, not sure if I am up to it, so it'll depend on the price and where you are for postage.

Give me an indication of what you want for it and I'll let you know, cash is mega tight this month so it'll have to be next month if anything.

I don't want to spend a bunch on a decent kit which someone else could make far better than I could.

Cheers

Matt

The Ca 133 was also done in a vac, Av-Usk in the early 90s. I have that one and perhaps the CW-21 is still around as well - cant remember if I got rid of it or not.

IIRC, the CW-21 would be a pretty good way to start vacs. Not too difficult, should be easy to get a prop from Aeroclub (or spares) to replace the vac one. Rareplanes were the cream of the crop back in the vac days. The Sword P-66 was one of their first and is long OOP. Magna has done a resin DH 95.

The CW-21 has been released more than once in standard injection plastic: I had the very poor Beechnut offering but there is also one from the MPM group.

I believe there is also a P-48, but don't recall the company.

Vac kits are not that difficult, if you get a good one e.g. Rareplanes, Formaplane. Some of them (e.g. Airmodel, Contrail) can be appallingly crude and the US-sourced offerings tend to be very thin - Eagles Talon are better. However, if you can contemplate scratchbuilding, vacforms should hold no fears.

The Rogojarsky (Rogozarski) SIM-XIV was available in 1/72 from Alliance Models. It was all resin and quite pricey ~US$60. I do not believe it is currently available.

I would not advise beginning a resin-building career with a twin-engine/twin-float seaplane. A simple vac kit, like the CW-21 with details from Aeroclub and the scrap box would be a better introduction to alternative kit media.

All in all, the C21b looks like it could be more of a PITA to build from a kit than it would be to scratch build, but then, I have never done a scratch build so what do I know?

My "idea" is to carve the fuselage from a block of plaster of paris (carves and sands pretty well actually) which should give a reasonable finish. Then, give that a wax coat. Then make up a splitter plate, and make two female moulds from an epoxy/microballoons mixture poured over the top.

Then all I need do is warm a sheet of thin styrene and fix it over one of the female moulds and push it in with the male plug.

That should give me two fuselage halves.

wings and tail can be sanded balsa clad in thin styrene sheet and scored where appropriate

engine can come from any kit which has one which will fit and look "reasonable"

Front cowl, possibly laminated rings of thin styrene carved to shape?

UC - Not sure yet, but possibly styrene rod with some carving?

Wheels - possibly kitbashed

Canopy - Moulded over the male plug with thin acetate sheet

Cockpit tub - Errrm, I'll think about that...

Right, thats a plan of action, which is probably beyond my skills, and possibly won't even work. But at least I'm thinking about it. All I need is a decent 3 view and some cross sections, a couple of references beyond what I have, and an awful lot more skill than I posess!

All in all, the C21b looks like it could be more of a PITA to build from a kit than it would be to scratch build, but then, I have never done a scratch build so what do I know?

My "idea" is to carve the fuselage from a block of plaster of paris (carves and sands pretty well actually) which should give a reasonable finish. Then, give that a wax coat. Then make up a splitter plate, and make two female moulds from an epoxy/microballoons mixture poured over the top.

Then all I need do is warm a sheet of thin styrene and fix it over one of the female moulds and push it in with the male plug.

[sNIP]

A more standard approach to the fuselage would be to attach two balsa or basswood blocks to a sheet styrene divider, then shape the wood (which would be easier to manage than plaster) to the fuselage shape. Pop the wood off the styrene and you've got your vacform (male) masters.

DG

• 10 years later...
  • 1 year later...