I should be working in the Kit Swap at that time so at least you'll have a decent picture ! :)

Otherwise on the USAF SIG stand in Hall 3 - please drop by and say hello.

Cheers,

Haydn.

I should be working in the Kit Swap at that time so at least you'll have a decent picture ! :)

Otherwise on the USAF SIG stand in Hall 3 - please drop by and say hello.

Cheers,

Haydn.

I should be dropping by with my USAF collection on Friday!

Julien

What did you folks think? I wasn't particularly thrilled, it seemed a bit low-key overall and other people said the same. The competition tables looked busier than last year but the branch displays didn't seem quite so good - there was a lot of empty space on some of the tables. It was a bit disappointing that there wasn't anything much that was new and no major bargains. Think Xtrakit's Sea Harrier was the only new thing we handn't seen before. Looks very nice though.

Airfix were a major disappointment - seems the TSR2 has slipped to January at the earliest along with the Canberra PR9. Worse still, the TSR2 sample revealed some pretty heavy surface detail and some rather dubious accuracy in some of the minor details, so it's not going to be an outstanding kit sady. Oh well, you win some and you lose some - the samples of the 72nd Canberras looked excellent - hope the actual kits are as good as those on show. The 72nd Hawk looked pretty good too - looks like it has plenty of potential. And as for the 48th Vulcan... from what I could gather, the aim was to see how much interest it generated so let's hope it got plenty of attention!

Oh well, not the best event ever - I would have gone back today but it didn't seem worth it as I'd seen all there was to see by mid-afternoon yesterday. Traders didn't seem too thrilled either - people ain't spending a whole lot. Good day out though but I hope next year's has a bit more to talk about! Congrats to the guys with the USAF SIG though for the F-4 display - that was an awful lot of Phantoms - very impressive!

Edited by Chox
Congrats to the guys with the USAF SIG though for the F-4 display - that was an awful lot of Phantoms - very impressive!

Hey Tim that was the F-4 Phantom SIG ! - the USAF SIG provided logistical support :cheers:

Must say I had a really great time, good to see old friends and courtesy of the boys from Pittsburgh I finally got to sample Jeremiah Weed.

DSCN0832.jpg

Cheers,

Haydn.

Edited by mig23
Less drinking you LOT and more modeling form now.. :wub:

Great pic though!!

No Telford is all about Beer, beer, beer, curry, beer; oh and Models :whistle:

Nice to see Roy & the guys from Ireland made it over.

Great show.

Julien

ps The Phantom Guys got 541 Phantom Models on the Table I was told. 2 + 1 egg plane were mine.

Edited by Julien (UK)

Haydn's refreshment services were greatly appreciated. By the time I got to his stand I'd just about lost the will to live!

Personally, I think the show organisers ought to have made more of an effort to promote the Phantom line-up. It was a commendable effort. They could have got the TV folks in to do something about that. Bring it back next year with even more Phantoms! Maybe they could diversify and add some bigger examples in 48th and 32nd too? I'll start work on my 16th scale example tomorrow...

Edited by Chox

quoted from above post by Chox

"Airfix were a major disappointment - seems the TSR2 has slipped to January at the earliest along with the Canberra PR9. Worse still, the TSR2 sample revealed some pretty heavy surface detail and some rather dubious accuracy in some of the minor details, so it's not going to be an outstanding kit sady. Oh well, you win some and you lose some - the samples of the 72nd Canberras looked excellent - hope the actual kits are as good as those on show. The 72nd Hawk looked pretty good too - looks like it has plenty of potential. And as for the 48th Vulcan... from what I could gather, the aim was to see how much interest it generated so let's hope it got plenty of attention!"

Hi Chox Im glad Im not the only one !!!!! I was nery disapointed by airfix. From what I can gather the 1:48 scale Vulcan isnt in the pipeline at all !!!! As you say it was put there by a club to make a point !! However I think its extremely unproffesional of airfix to let EVERYONE think it was a future project. Can you imagine if revell etc had it displayed on there stand !!!!!! No chance.

I also think the standard of the built examples of there up and coming kits was way below the average standard of most models on the club tables !!

Sorry airfix you wont be getting any of my hard earned cash for these efforts

chris

Edited by cdplayer

I wouldn't want to criticise Airfix when they've done so much to get some kits out there on the market that we could have only dreamed of - 48th Canberras, the Nimrod and so on. But it seems a bit pointless to advertise the PR9 and TSR2 in magazines, and tell people they'll be available in November (ie at Telford) and then find that they're not. I would think it better to stick to a realistic release date and advertise kits when they're actually available... or maybe that's just me?!

As for the Vulcan, I don't think any half-intelligent individual would assume that they were actually producing a 48th kit without bothering to ask, and the Airfix people at Telford were happy to say that it was only there for amusement and to test interest. To be fair, nobody (on this site or others) actually said they were producing the kit but as usual, people half-read comments and in a matter of hours it's become accepted fact that a new kit was going to appear. Horrible truth is that there's an awful lot of dimwits out there that can't can't or won't read what's in front of them, and that's obviously not Airfix's fault.

I know what you mean about the models on show on the Airfix stand - some of them are less-than magnificent but personally I don't really care about that. I was only interested in looking at the new stuff - the TSR2 sprues, the 72nd Canberras and the Hawk. Ultimately, Airfix (like everyone else) is only there to maintain a presence, and people ought to be wise enough to realise that throwaway comments made at a show might not necessarily reflect what the company might or might not actually be doing. There seem to be people that hover around their stand all weekend trying to gather gossip, but it would be nice if they'd accept that it is just that - gossip. Naturally (and we were talking about this in a meeting with Airfix at the weekend) it's always interesting to know what modellers think, but it would be foolish to assume that anyone (including Airfix) would make any commercial decisions based on the ramblings of folks like us! They'd be bankrupt in weeks!

And there I was thinking this thread was about a group photo!

Glad to have met up with Julien and Tim. It was good to see you guys. As for drink, well I waited till I got back to the hotel. Made up for it then though!

We had a good show apart from a too big table and a few missing members. We also got a big shock from Paul Reagan and Paul Tuckey on Saturday evening. Made the trip all the more worthwhile though.

More to the point, where were all the other ARCers for the photo!

Highlight (of many highs) of the show for me again was the Wallace and Gromit stuff. Pure genius!

We had a good show apart from a too big table and a few missing members. We also got a big shock from Paul Reagan and Paul Tuckey on Saturday evening. Made the trip all the more worthwhile though.

Pray tell us more!

Julien