German Prop Colour?

In "The Official Monogram Painting Guide To German Aircraft 1935-1945" it states that the blades of metal propellers were painted 70 Black-Green and that wooden blades were painted 71 Dark-Green. Is this true? Most other sources I have say all props were 70 Black-Green or do not say directly.

Although not an interior area, propellers are also included in the Reichsluftministrium regulations. Steel prop blades were painted RLM 70 black green, while wood blades were painted RLM 71 dark green, with a semi gloss clear coat protectant. Other late war wooden prop blades were painted in blue-gray, with the same semi gloss clear coat protectant.

From;

http://www.swannysmodels.com/Painting.html

HTH

Cheers

Matt

The Fw-190 at the U.S. Air Force Museum has a wooden prop, still in its original color. I'm told it actually came from a Ju-87 Stuka. It's a bit beat up, but definately appears a little too light for RLM 70. Here's a pic (that's Mandie smirking at the camera, which I was holding over my head on an extended monopod.)

SN

10-19-08361.jpg

Well, RLM 71 for wooden propeller blades is a new one on me. I went through several sheets of EagleCals sheets for Doras and Jerry Crandall has RLM 70 listed as propeller color for every aircraft on them. This photo is included in EC #60, although it's tough to make out on this photo (the one that comes with the decal sheet is much clearer) the blades definitely look to be RLM 70.

800px-FW190.jpg

Here's a Ju 88A-4 with VS-11 wooden blades, you can see the contrast between the darker green on the blades (I'm assuming RLM 70) and the lighter green on the fuselage (which I assume is RLM 71).

JU881.jpg

In Steve's photo, I interpret that color to be washed out, 50 year old RLM 70, but that's just my interpretation. The article on Swanny's website has it's origins from the IPMS Toronto website, how much weight you want to put on that article is up to you but I think I'll stick with RLM 70.

Edit: Going through some of my library material, on 15 August 1944 the RLM issued a circular on new camouflage colors, Sammelmitteilung 2. In paragraph 5 this statement was made "RLM 65, 70, 71, and 74 are not be used in the future, 70 is to still be used on propellor blades."

No reference made to 71 on propeller blades, FWIW.

Edited by The Mikester
Well, RLM 71 for wooden propeller blades is a new one on me. .
Knew you would chime in here Mike. I know when I start my Luftwaffe project, it's going to be nice to have a expert so close.

Isn't this weather great?

Edited by Huey Gunner
Knew you would chime in here Mike. I know when I start my Luftwaffe project, it's going to be nice to have a expert so close.

Isn't this weather great?

Hey Paul,

Yeah, finally feels like fall, let's hope it stays this way!

Is there an official RML directive to paint the props in different colors, depending on the material used?

If not, perhaps the wooden blades weathered differently than the metal ones... the RLM was usually pretty specific on any and all color that was to be used, so if no paperwork has surfaced to this effect the tonal differences might be caused by different fading and weathering of RLM 70 on wood and metal.

Just a thought...

Cheers,

Andre

The Luftwaffe painting documents specify RLM 70 for METAL blades and footnote that the paint specification for wooden blades is published in the ordinance documents. Wooden blades were specified as RLM 71. During the late war period some wooden blades used by FW were painted in a blue-gray primer. This information can be found in both Merrick's and Ulmann's works with quite a bit of digging.

The Luftwaffe specifications for repair of metal prop blades specifies the use of RLM 70 as a final coat and does not mention the repair of wooden blades. I would speculate that RLM 70 may have been used on refurbished wooden blades based on the available specifications.

If anyone is interested drop me a note and I will try to scan the specification pages for you as I have time.

HTH,

Dave

In Mike's second pic, the 88, the props certainly appear to be the same shade of green as the fuse and cowls to me. The only exception is easily rectified by taking the prop angle to the light source compared to the fuse or cowl into account. When I am home, I will do a K value comparison to see how the shades match