Model Victoria Centauro

I had built this kit a few years ago and havent got back to finishig it up. Overall it is a beautiful kit. One of the best resin kits i have built actually. The parts were cast very clean and sharp. Very few pour stubs to clean and no air bubbles. Detail appears accurate to all the refs i could find and it includes markings for multiple vehicles. Also includes markings for a vehicle that took part in the SFOR peacekeeping ops in Bosnia. I have shots of this Centauro in my referece books. Still looking for references of one with crew stowage all over it but i may not find one. Seems the Italians are alot like the germans and dont like alot of external clutter. So i may just slap the finishing touchec and a flat coat on it.

Heres a couple in progress shots with an LAV-C2 and some of the more complete vehicle. Really just have to matt coat it and paint the vision ports. Id also like to find a 1/35 Italian crew for the turret. This is a HUGE vehicle as far as wheeled AFVs are concerned. It dwarfs the Stryker and other LAV series vehicles and is even bigger than the Spahpanzer 2 Luchs used by the germans.

I may get the trumpeter kit to see how it compares in terms of overall detail and fidelity. Trumpeter has left a sour taste in my mouth lately. their kit quality is very inconsistent. One kit from them will be equal to a modern Dragon kit while others are no better than late 80s tamiya.

centauro11.jpg

centauro10.jpg

centauro1.jpg

centauro2.jpg

centauro3.jpg

centauro4.jpg

centauro5.jpg

centauro6.jpg

centauro8.jpg

centauro9.jpg

Looks good! I have the same MV kit, never built, and just got the Trumpeter kit. At first glance, the Trumpeter kit seems to be one of their good ones. Detail is good and they did things like the dimples on the turret spaced armor well. They even include PE to wrap around the barrel under the muzzle brake that has the holes that vent the gasses. As far as the parts go, the only nits I see are that the MG 42/59 gun shields are on the thick side (they are thinned near the edges, but the thinning is pretty obvious. I'd rather have them just one thickness even if they are a little thick) and the prominent raised radial ribs on the tires. I first thought it was an error since all the photos seems to show smooth sidewalls, but the photos over at Prime Portal do show these ribs on closeups, but they are not as prominent as Trumpeter has them. There are also some instructions issues, like unclear drawings on how to fold up the PE parts, showing the additions of antenna pots on the rear corners of the turret basket (which aren't on the Spanish machines), and decal instruction that only show one option, even though there are more on the sheet.

Thanks Dave. I know at 140 USD the MV kit seems like alot but the quality really cannot be beat on it. On the gun shields. See if you could use the MV ones on the trumpeter kit. Maybe use the etire mount assembly for the MG3s. Id at least replace them with some .020 sheet styrene and some dragon MG-42s in place of the MG3s.

great looking build. i am not to much into resin but i cant waite to get trumps kit of it. how wa the fitting of the trumo kit hwr?

I dont have the trumpeter kit Yet. This is the resin kit. For this kit it was perfect. Literally. No warping or air bubbles. The hull was literally almost snap fit in tightness. It will be a bit before i get the Trumpeter oe. I have enough other projects going.

I think I'll keep the MV kit intact and probably do this Trumpeter boxing OOTB. I might just ditch the MG shield since they normally don't seem to be fitted on the Spanish versions unless in actual combat. Maybe by the time that Trumpeter releases the Italian version, there will be some aftermarket from Eduard, etc. which will take care of the MG shields. Maybe resin wheels also.

Just an FYI, this boxing looks like it will build the Spanish Centauro only. There seem to be a few things missing for an Italian version, like the different smoke discharger mount. Judging from the sprues, Trumpeter will swap out a sprue or two when they release the other kit.

Edited by Dave Williams
A fine looking model of what is (IMO) the best looking modern AFV out there. With a bit of luck the release of the Trump kit will prompt the AM guys to make some Italian figs.

From what i know there are already some modern italian tank crew figs out there for use in other trumpeter and tamiya kits. I just cant find the bloody things.

I like that Trumpeter is doing modern Italian subjects. Their Airete (sp?) MBT kits ave very nice also, and seem quite accutate, although the rubber band track is kind of stiff.

The Trumpeter A team seem to be the guys assigned to the Centauro and Airete.

Thanks for the heads up Dave.

Nice to know that they've been doing some quality kits every now and then. I guess the Centauro and the new Ariete (uparmored) will be in the x-mas list. :nanner:

Eric