Future in Australia

Hi guys,

Back to the hobby after 10 years away, so excuse my noobness. This is a question for any Aussie modellers out there. Is Future available in Australia? I understand its sold under different names around the world. If its not available in the supermarkets here, is there another acrylic floor polish you guys use or do you just use a clear coat?

Cheers,

Nutbag27,

Hi.

I can not get any Future or any of the 'other' brand names locally (I live in regional NSW). but I have got this:

http://www.armsmodelit.com.au/InfoSheets/infopasst.htm

and have used it to seal a model prior to putting the decals on BUT haven't actually got around to putting them on yet!

It is light milk in colour but is perfectly transparent when dry and seems to act just like a gloss coat.

OK

Here is the history of the Future in Australia

Future as it is named has never been sold commercially here. Some years ago there was a product called Johnsons Super Stride which was the local equivalent. In the bottle it was milky but applied and dried exactly like Future. This name was later changed to Super Shine. Then it was discontinued.

The only alternative at that time was Rekkits Long Life and that was joined by a new formula Johnsons Shine Magic and then Pledge One Go which like Rekkits (Pascoe) contains ammonia as an active ingredient making it hazardous to apply over acrylics. Apart from that issue, it works very well indeed.

There has been some discussion that Hawkeye decals were going to import Future and on sell to Aussie modellers but that, as far as I am aware, never came to fruition.

Hope that helps

:thumbsup:

MikeJ

Terryt,

Although the above is great for those who have access to Future it still remains that in essense Future, or a suitable equivalent, is not readily available here. The names that are mentioned may be found is some stores but certainly my local ones and a few in other towns do not carry any of the mentioned products. There are alternatives BUT it is a matter of buying the product and testing it!

I have personally spoken to Hawekeye models and they have not and do not stock Future.

So either experimenting with other Polyurethane floor coatings, trying Passt or importing Future (? if it would be allowed by customs) are the current alternatives.

Edited by pbhawkin

;) G'day Nutbag27,

There is a product here called Rekkitt's Long Life or Original Long Life. I bought a litre from Bunnings at Kotara (Newcastle) for under $10. It does the same job as future. For making caopies shine I use it straight on the end of a cotton bud and just wipe it across the canopy surface. For spraying on before and after decaling it's probably best to thin it with something because it has quite a bit of ammonia in it. Maybe Metho of white spirit would make a good job of that. I don't know as I use water based acrylic clear gloss for that job, whether the base coat is acrylic or enamel. But Long Life certainly works brilliantly for canopies. It's also a milky colour in the bottle.

Cheers,

Ross.

As mentioned above other products available in Australia will be fine for coating clear parts BUT may NOT be ok over acrylic paint or decals as they may have ammonia (which Future does not) and cause bubbling of paint and damage to decals. I also use a Humbrol or Tamiya gloss coat and now Passt for these activities.