Folks, the NEW NCC-1701 ...

I'm gonna need to see more before I can make an educated judgment, but at first glance I can't say I like it too much... the secondary hull and nacelles just look wrong to me.

of course, if anyone makes a model of it, I'll build one... but still!

Funny thing, my first thought was "Much better design, should be easier to model"

I had a roommate in college try to build the TV version. He never could eliminate the cracks that would develop where the support struts for the warp engines attach to the hull. Between the flimsiness of the Warp engine support struts and the sharp corner, it seemed like an impossible task.

The more tapered design of this one should help alleviate the problem... Then again, I used to be stress engineer, what do I know about esthetics and tradition?...When in doubt, make it stout, can't go wrong with big and strong.

I guess it makes more sense from a realistic design standpoint, but the purist in me isn't sold. In some ways it looks more advanced than the Galaxy Class! A lot could've been done to bring the original design into a more detailed look without making it look like an entirely different starship.

Top looks close, perhaps the swapped out the warp engines and lower hull for the TV series. I don't know. It is science FICTION after all.

Still bound to be a new model come out of this in time for the Enterprise group build next year.

Shift the saucer/neck forward, and it looks much better. Attaches too far back to the engineering hull.

Exactly!!!

The Engineering hull is too far forward and too small. If that was about 30% further back than it is, about, oh, 25% larger and the nacelle struts could be moved forward on the hull by about 20%, it would be just right, I think.

I think it looks ok...but just ok.

although I am too young to have watched the original when it first aired..I grew up to TNG and DS9, watching the original with my father.

I think what has happened is with all of the different movies and TV series..it is pretty hard to follow the story AND ship evolution at the same time. you are either true to one or the other.

I think the design of NX-01 was the biggest problem. They made it too modern looking in order to grab the younger negeration's attention..and now you have to make something that is either too clunky for NX-01 or too modern for NCC-1701. I guess they decided to go with the NX-01 story line.

one way or the other..I definately am going to see this with my father

Sean

Just remember, this Star Trek is a complete "Restart" , the previous movies and tv shows "don't exist" from it's perspective including "Enterprise" ....

I, myself am still in the "unsure" feelings about the design, I'd like to see it more before I pass judgement ...

Gregg

Just remember, this Star Trek is a complete "Restart" , the previous movies and tv shows "don't exist" from it's perspective including "Enterprise" ....

I, myself am still in the "unsure" feelings about the design, I'd like to see it more before I pass judgement ...

Gregg

While you may be right in terms of the movie, there can never be a 'complete restart' in the hearts and minds of all of the existing fans. 'Enterprise' was already a 'restart' especially in terms of ship design. If you recall, the Enterprise that preceded NCC-1701 had a sphere for the primary hull. The disk shaped primary hull was 'new' to the Constitution Class. Once upon a time I had all the drawings and plans but alas they are gone. The new movie might be a hit. In fact, I hope it is! The franchise needs a restart. My point remains the same though; the new movie could've been done, with a 'new' ship, without completely abandoning the original ship design. Best of both worlds..

Admittedly I do need to warm to this a bit and see it from other angles. I would say the saucer makes sense, the secondary hull seems okay in the front, but get to the back and to the engines and things start getting a bit strange. I guess what mainly gets me is that at least in other iterations of Trek there seemed to be something of a method to the design madness as the ships seemed to have a practical Human/Earth asthetic and not the overly sculpted look of something that could be perceived as alien tech (or something that looked like a ship used in an episode from three weeks before with different pieces of stuff stuck on it). The warp engines just look way crazy art deco in appearance, almost like a starship version of a concept car as opposed to a ship of the line. The nav deflector also doesn't look too practical either as I can sort of understand keeping the dish seperated from the secondary hull for TOS looks, but I figure if they are going to make it powered with a blue glow, might as well shorten the stem and bring it close to the hull to make it look more substantial as opposed to delicate.

In a sense the ship says to me it is being artistic for artistic sake as opposed to the look being dictated by form and function, which is what Matt Jefferies did with his original design philosophy.

Exactly!!!

The Engineering hull is too far forward and too small. If that was about 30% further back than it is, about, oh, 25% larger and the nacelle struts could be moved forward on the hull by about 20%, it would be just right, I think.

I third that opinion.

Allllllmost, but not quite ...

The original ship from the 60's had a beautiful balance to it. Yes it was simple, but it seemed balanced.

The one from the movies had a modern, racy feel to it

the one from TNG was different, but looked like you might expect from a 100 year progression.

I still feel the NX-01 was overly modern in comparison to where the starship design would wind up (60's)

This one seems alien and inorganic. It lacks balance. I know they want to restart the series, but it could have looked more fluid in my opinion.

Ric

Am I the only one that loves it?

Well Lori and I both like it.

To be honest, it is time for the older Star Trek series to pass on and rebirth otherwise the whole franchise will live on purely on TV re-runs and bargain bin DVD movies. Yes, and that is coming from a Star Trek fan from waaaaay back.

I think the new design has a modern look without compromising the familiarity of the original ship design. A design now 42 years old.

:thumbsup:

MikeJ

To be honest, it is time for the older Star Trek series to pass on and rebirth otherwise the whole franchise will live on purely on TV re-runs and bargain bin DVD movies. Yes, and that is coming from a Star Trek fan from waaaaay back.

I think the new design has a modern look without compromising the familiarity of the original ship design. A design now 42 years old.

:thumbsup:

MikeJ

Ohhh I know.... You're right. I thought the Galaxy Class 1701-D was criminal when I first saw it but it quickly became my favorite. This one will probably grow on me as well, provided that the rest of the movie is worthy!

The problem the designers had with "Enterprise" was that a lot of real life design and technology looks more advanced now than what was presented in TOS ...

So, they had to make the ship and tech look more advanced than real life today yet feel less so than TOS ...

Gregg

Edited by GreyGhost

:wave:

MikeJ

Unless, of course, they recast Chekov as a female character... :D

Alvis 3.1

Edited by Alvis 3.1